Losing Weight At A Desk Job HELP!

Options
I need some tips for losing weight while working as a secretary! I am typically sitting 8-9 hours a day!

Replies

• AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I sit all day except when I use the bathroom and go on breaks.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I need some tips for losing weight while working as a secretary! I am typically sitting 8-9 hours a day!

News flash, a lot of us have desk jobs and it's never held us back from getting fit. Get a proper workout in during non-work hours and you'll be fine.
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well and it's hard to find ways to be more active. I try to stand up more but I can't do that and type. This sounds funny but I'll keep my abs tight or do butt squeezes when just sitting there. I have to work out when I get home and I just try not to eat heavy meals or alot of calories during the workweek since I am so sedentary.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'll workout in the morning before work. I like to lift, so then I get to rest my muscles and let them repair while I'm sitting on my butt all day. Also, plan your meals ahead, working in an office can wreck havoc on your diet.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    These are things I currently do but am always looking for more especially on days when I know I won't make it to the gym or pool.

-Get up and stretch once an hour and/or walk if you can... sometimes I take our orders down to shipping or walk to the next building.
    I looked up some isometric exercises and stretches that I can do right at my desk and only takes a few minutes.

-Walking on my lunch break - I get a whole hour so I take 15-20 minute walks. This gives me time to grab lunch and I don't get TOO sweaty.

-If you feel comfortable get one of those balls to sit on. I do not think that will work for me right now but it is an option.

I've also seen little under the desk stair stepper kind of things but I would rather get up and walk around if I can - might be an option if you don't have as much freedom to leave your work area.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I work 10-12 hours a day sitting at a desk, have had 4 back surgeries; however, don't let that be your thinking. Working out of some type saves me :)

I work out at night around 8:30 when my kids go to bed... I enjoy Turbo Jam immensely so center my workouts around all of that. Most of it is diet but the working out plays a big role in my overall feeling and toneness :)
  • djshari
    Options

News flash, a lot of us have desk jobs and it's never held us back from getting fit. Get a proper workout in during non-work hours and you'll be fine.
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to find ways to improve your weight loss while at work - I mean 8 hours is a 3rd of my day... I would like to do something even just for a few minutes because that can add up over time.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Track everything you eat. Find an exercise regimen you can stick with morning or evening. Get up from your desk every hour or so, stretch and walk so you don't get stiff. I personally do yoga on top of my workouts, cause desk sitting really makes me stiff and creaky! Drink water or tea to avoid snacking out of boredom. If you go to happy hour, be honest and log it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Get an under the desk pedal machine. "Biking" while sitting at your desk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Adjust your calories for your daily activity and do your workouts. I work at a computer 8hr+. Having water handy always is very helpful. Its odd, but that does help curb those hunger thoughts sometimes.
  • donohoe4
    donohoe4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating right. Healthy eating is the key to weight loss.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Now that the weather is nicer, I get outside for walks, etc. I've even gone for a few runs on my lunch break.

I've fallen off a bit, but when I was drinking a ton of water, every time I went to the bathroom I would either do 10 quick squats, or 10 lunges on each leg. By the end of the day I'd done at least a hundred reps!! LOL
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with wanting to find ways to improve your weight loss while at work - I mean 8 hours is a 3rd of my day... I would like to do something even just for a few minutes because that can add up over time.

Hey I've been known to do jumping jacks and squats in the bathroom. But I do think people need to know having a desk job is not a handicap, it doesn't prevent you from being a fit person. Walk, move, stretch during work hours it's great for your circulation. But don't cheat yourself by skipping a proper workout!
  • losingcan
    Options
    Depending on your office setting, like if you have any privacy you could do small exercises or something at work in down time just to move around. Ex: a couple sets of squats - most clothing will allow you do them, you won't get real sweaty, but will get some muscle movement.; keep some small weights at your desk to do arm curls

and things that other people said like finding a minute to walk around and stretch, tightening your core while sitting
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    -If you feel comfortable get one of those balls to sit on. I do not think that will work for me right now but it is an option.
    Contrary to popular opinion, I've found I can slouch just as bad on those balls as I do on a 'regular' office chair. It takes a few days, but then you figure out how to plant your feet and its really not that much different from sitting on a stool. Oh, and they really don't like push pins ;-)

Just get your exercise in wherever you can. When I work at my desk all day, I go stir crazy, so I go for a run before I start work. Then I do groceries before lunch (on foot), then I take my dog to the park in the afternoon. Maybe do some gardening in the evening. Days I don't run, I lift.
    But I work freelance from home, so I can always sneak a break and take the dog around the block. In an office environment, you'd just have to be a bit more organized and determined. Heck, I used to cycle to school every day, or to the train station and then walk to college, so you could just make your way to work a bit more 'work'.
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You've got to get some cardio into your life and it isn't going to happen at the office. Do at least 30 minutes of cardio before or after work.

Be careful not to snack all day at your desk. When you do snack, eat almonds, fruit, low fat yogurt, string cheese, etc. Drink tons of water, so you'll have to get up to go to the bathroom a lot.

Sometimes I grab semi heavy objects (like a big stapler or book) and then randomly lift it a bunch of times while I'm reading something for work. I also do jumping jacks when no one else is in the office (I work in a really small office with 3 other people who are frequently gone.)

Good luck! Before I started office work, I was a physically active college student who ate whatever I wanted and stayed skinny. I never "exercised" but I did tons of active stuff with friends like tennis, dancing, etc. Within my first six months of office work I gained 20 pounds. It just comes to calories in/calories out. I ate the same as when I was burning so many calories, so I gained weight as a result. Once I learned to limit my calorie intake to only what I needed, I stopped gaining weight. Then I started exercising and have lost almost all the weight I gained.
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too, but if you get breaks, go for a walk. Its great to get the fresh air and get out of the office.

Keep water nearby for when you are hungry (as they say we are probably thirsty instead and can't tell the difference) and try not to snack.

I'm going to start doing squats in the bathroom, LOL!
  • djshari
    Options

Hey I've been known to do jumping jacks and squats in the bathroom. But I do think people need to know having a desk job is not a handicap, it doesn't prevent you from being a fit person. Walk, move, stretch during work hours it's great for your circulation. But don't cheat yourself by skipping a proper workout!
    True, but she didn't say it was a handicap nor did she use it as excuse. I'm not sure why you felt the need to make that comment when all she did was ask for suggestions. I have found myself in the same place wondering what else I can do during the work day to keep myself from leaving work all hunched over and stiff and blah... I already posted what I've been doing but hey- I'm always looking for more so I will be checking this thread myself to see if I can add to the list. Speaking of that, time to stretch my legs! :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Eat less. Caloric deficit is all that is needed to lose weight.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Eat less. Caloric deficit is all that is needed to lose weight.

^ This. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

Exercise is great for a number of other reasons and it sounds like you have plenty of other hours in the day to work on your body. But for straight weight loss, just find a reasonable deficit and watch the fat disappear.