"Fooducate" android app, anyone use it?

Options
lotushead
lotushead Posts: 200 Member
Trying out this android app called "fooducate." It's like MFP in the sense that it asks you age, weight, height, activity level, and gender. Difference is it doesn't TRACK calories or weight loss. Instead, it is a barcode scanner which also asks you what your goals are, giving you the following options:
lose weight, control carbs, eat heart healthy, lower cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, warn about GMO's, avoid processed food, eat vegetarian, and/or eat vegan.

With those targets in mind, it allows you to scan food items with a barcode or search for them and then it gives you feedback based on the nutritional label scanned and the filters you selected.

If for example, you've chosen to avoid processed food and you scan a barcode on a bag of cane sugar, it will provide photos of alternatives to that product such as agave nectar, coconut sugar, brown sugar, etc. It will also give you a break down of the nutritional label and explain why it either does or doesn't fit the parameters of the filters you set up before scanning.

I feel like if you've been using MFP for a while, then you are more or less already learning/learned to be aware of these things. But it could still be useful for some people (especially those just starting out). I've been on MFP for a little over a year, but I'm going to use it for a while just to see if I can expand my knowledge any further or learn about new products.

I hope posting a thread about another app doesn't violate any forum rules! I was just wondering if anyone has had a positive experience from it or hoping that they could :)

Replies

• krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this app!!! After I downloaded it, I scanned everything in my house!! It's such an eye opener when you think you are making a healthy choice, and you really aren't!!

I recommend everyone download it!! :flowerforyou:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for a few weeks ...... it's been an eye-opener ..... love that it gives alternatives for "bad" food :drinker:
  • krissynicole787
    Options
    yes i love the alternative feature!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in it for the GMO info but I read reviews that it is not very good at actually catching all GMOs. Catching a few is not going to help me since I don't buy many processed foods. I need to know if the chicken I want to buy was fed GMOs.

I'm pretty sure I don't want it - or any app - making "healthy" food suggestions since I know that things like low fat, fat free, agave & cane sugar are unhealthy despite popular & current marketing
  • krissynicole787
    Options
    It actually does not recommend food that uses artificial sweeteners, or anything that is highly processed.

Fooducate's Grading System
    Each product is automatically graded (A-, B+, C, etc...) by a scientific algorithm based on its nutrition facts and ingredient list.
    Fooducate recommends minimally processed, real foods, that are naturally rich in nutrients and antioxidants.
  • sybeaner
    Options
    I have had Fooducate for a while and just started using it and comparing it to similar apps; MyFitnessPal offered most of what I needed, especially with the ability to track Weight Watchers (WW) points (though not always accurately). I've found that most of the food tracking apps have similar capabilities in tracking calories and other nutrients. The major differences lie in how the program is mapped and aesthetics. What MyFitnessPal lacks in eye appeal (no pictures of foods and minimal color), it more than makes up for with its expansive food directory. I have yet to find another app that can come close to being able to find as many scanned foods or accurately looks up foods from restaurants. Their internal scanner is the best! WW's is a joke and Fooducate's is sluggish and limited, for now. I'm using both right now for comparison, tracking how long it takes to log the same meals. So far, it's been about even for regular meals. Would love to be able to more easily add/retrieve meals/exercise and create lists in both programs. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • sybeaner
    Options
    Also, here is how to track weight loss:

1. Select 'TRACK'
    2. Select 'ADD'
    3. Select 'WEIGHT' and use the plus or minus icon to adjust weight

:smile:
  • RobynUnfiltered
    RobynUnfiltered Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good app for learning what is in what you eat, great for finding hidden sodium in things or weird chemicals. Can make you a little paranoid but good if you are trying to eat clean.