Exercising post flu

Options
lynn1982
lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
Hi Everyone,
I'm wondering if anyone has tips on how to get back into exercising after an illness. My usual workout regime consists of a quick 30 minute cardio workout five days a week (usually elliptical or running with intervals on the treadmill), three spin classes a week, two weight lifting group classes (power classes), and a yoga class once or twice a week . I'm now getting over a really bad case of the flu (or at least bad for me!) after basically being knocked out for about two weeks. I thought I was feeling well enough to start getting back into things, but after two days of trying to start slowly, I feel like I did back when I was 45 pounds heavier and just getting into exercising regularly. I went for a leisurely bike ride yesterday and was exhausted by the time I got home. Today I thought I'd try the 30 day shred, since I did that about a year ago and I think it's fairly light/easy compared with what I usually do. I now feel like I've had the wind knocked out of me just from that!! Does anyone have experience/tips on how to get back into your usual routine after something like this?

Thanks!

Replies

• lynn1982
    Options
    Anyone?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Just take it easier for a few days walk or something light like that then if your feeling better try a little more until you can do it like you use too
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and just got over a severe sinus infection and cold. Every time I get sick, I have to start all over like a newbie. I just made it up to where I can walk 20 minutes without feeling faint. I still get dizzy when I move too fast or bend over trying to do yoga.

Start slow and easy with walking and slowly increase it. This is what my doctor has me do. I started at 5 minutes last week. Your body is still healing and you will get back to your normal level, you just need to be very patient with it.

Good luck.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. It will take a little time to get back into your routine. I don't think there's anything else you realistically do.

Also, make sure you're drinking. Being sick can leave you dehydrated.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    2 Things from Personal Experience:

1) I eat like **** when I am sick, and so when I am done being sick I need a little nutritional boost to get back to 100%

2) The illness may have passed, but your immune system is probably not fully recovered. Throw in some extra "super-foods" this week, cut back on your workout intensity (working out too much can negatively affect your immune system), but I'd try and do the same kind of workouts.

Generally speaking 2 weeks off is not enough to affect performance, but if you aren't firing on all cylinders it can sure feel like it!
  • lynn1982
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I'm just impatient. I like the idea of adding more "super foods"!