Classic Art - Sculpture

Options
Michelangelo's David differs from previous representations of the subject in that the Biblical hero is not depicted with the head of the slain Goliath, as he is in Donatello's and Verrocchio's statues. Most scholars consider that the work depicts David before his battle with Goliath.
He’s also standing in a pose called “contrapposto” . David’s weight is on his right leg, which is straight, while his left leg is relaxed. This makes his body have an S-shaped curve that makes him look more life-like.

210px-David_von_Michelangelo.jpg

david_Penis.jpg

tumblr_ludfcpChoT1qb00aro1_250.jpg

Do you have a favorite sculpture?

Replies

• DrBentonQuest
    Options
    Relative to famed art, I've always been interested in the history and intrigue behind the original plinth and arms of Alexandros of Antioch's 'Venus de Milo.'
    Venus+de+Milo.jpg

But if I had another $30m to spend on sculptures, I'd probably invest in 'Artemis and the Stag.' The Hellenistic bronze has held up remarkably for as old as it is.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7nH3ZqoimGRQ_7i4dBQypzXamVtKPNHdbYURVksTFeuMyjeoLXg
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Relative to famed art, I've always been interested in the history and intrigue behind the original plinth and arms of Alexandros of Antioch's 'Venus de Milo.'
    Venus+de+Milo.jpg

I saw Venus de Milo a few years ago...stunning...

I wish i had set aside more time for The Louvre.

hindsight :smile:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I always thought David was a great inspiration in fitness, didn't need the close up on his junk though. Artistic as it is.
    Thanks for posting.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    for marble, you can't beat Winged Victory (IMHO)
    wingedvictory_zps6e06349c.jpg

and for bronze, all about Perseus:
    perseusholdingmedusahead_zps8ed53740.jpg
  • _Wild_Card_
    _Wild_Card_ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcl71GuGbm4DTgeAEM-mF3QOHKZ8PcNP9EEjLQxi_vNypAPAhw
  • DrBentonQuest
    Options
    Of course, relative to modern sculpture, Banksy's Murdered Phonebooth and Urs Fischer's Bear-Lamp are both phenomenal.

banksy-telephone-booth-1.jpg

urs-fischer-lamp-bear.jpeg
  • Penny_Lane_
    Penny_Lane_ Posts: 163
    Options
    I always thought David was a great inspiration in fitness, didn't need the close up on his junk though. Artistic as it is.
    Thanks for posting.

Does classic art make you feel uncomfortable? Because that is what I am sensing....
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I love you guys. :bigsmile:
  • Penny_Lane_
    Options
    eosb_185p.jpg

I actually had the honor of viewing this piece in the Vatican museum.

Amazing.

The story of Laocoön had been the subject of a play by Sophocles (, and was mentioned by other Greek writers. Laocoön was killed after attempting to expose the ruse of the Trojan Horse by striking it with a spear. The snakes were sent by Poseidon (although Athena or Apollo have also been suggested) and were interpreted by the Trojans as proof that the horse was a sacred object. The most famous account of these events is in Virgil's Aeneid (See the Aeneid quotation at the entry Laocoön), but this very probably dates from after the sculpture was made.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite ice sculpture. It's a 12ft mushroom.

icesculpture_zpsfb605814.jpg
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I really like The Dying Slave. It is one of my favourite Michelangelo sculptures:

5844962019_e30f4f0759_z.jpg

You are so fortunate to have seen these works in person.
  • Penny_Lane_
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5-ufXcyN_Z8iBN7tiOsz7Cj23holPOMtRHnS6NPqmD-uCze6I

La Bocca della Verità
    Also got to see this beauty.... and I still have my hand!
    Legend goes that if a liar puts their hand inside its mouth, they will lose it.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    While I do love Michelangelo's David, I'm also a fan of Donatello's interpretation. Michelangelo's features an older, more buff figure in a "come at me, bro" stance. But, Donatello's is of a younger David, who is depicted in a way that he seems vulnerable. To me, this stature captures the point of the story, that David was far outmatched in his battle with Goliath, and yet still prevailed.

75eibKE.jpg

There is a fantastic PBS show that featured Michelangelo, http://video.pbs.org/video/1214340861/ . It delves into his last tormented years, as he was under constant pressure from the Church during the Inquisition, fearing for his life. Really fascinating, and showed me a side of Michelangelo that I had never heard of before.
  • DrBentonQuest
    Options
    But, Donatello's is of a younger David, who is depicted in a way that he seems vulnerable. To me, this stature captures the point of the story, that David was far outmatched in his battle with Goliath, and yet still prevailed.

75eibKE.jpg
    I can't disagree more. Considering Donatello's David is holding the sword of Goliath, David is sporting a smug grin, and the fact that David's foot is on Goliath's severed head, the statue depicts the immediate result of the legendary battle.

More interestingly, it is the first bronze statue of a nude on record since antiquity. Also controversial was the fact that David wore boots and a hat in the statue. Everyone knows that David was a ginger who liked to go to battle naked [that's from the source material right there].
  • sixibabey
    sixibabey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    6495460563_d0f146f764_z.jpg

this is one of my favorites
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Hey! Thanks for classing this place up! :wink:

I have become a big fan of the work of Bruno Catalano!! I saw one of his pieces and was just amazed.

bruno-catalano112_zps5de9f3be.jpg

The classics are nice but I like modern sculpture very much!

((I like your version of "The Great Wave" btw -- very funny!))
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    But, Donatello's is of a younger David, who is depicted in a way that he seems vulnerable. To me, this stature captures the point of the story, that David was far outmatched in his battle with Goliath, and yet still prevailed.

75eibKE.jpg
    I can't disagree more. Considering Donatello's David is holding the sword of Goliath, David is sporting a smug grin, and the fact that David's foot is on Goliath's severed head, the statue depicts the immediate result of the legendary battle.

More interestingly, it is the first bronze statue of a nude on record since antiquity. Also controversial was the fact that David wore boots and a hat in the statue. Everyone knows that David was a ginger who liked to go to battle naked [that's from the source material right there].

While I agree that Donatello's is a post-battle scene, it does not disagree with my statement that he entered the battle in a vulnerable state (nude). 1 Samuel 17:45 we read, "David said to the Philistine, 'You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied."

Yes, it is interesting that it's one of the first nudes since antiquity. It helped usher in the Renaissance and its ties to ancient Greek and Roman art, a time that carries influence in the art world even today - although at times it seems that we are being pulled back into the era of Pope Paul IV, who cut off Michelangelo's pension and ordered that the nudes of "The Last Judgement" have veils strategically painted over their genitalia.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    cupid and psyche. (can't post pix)

:flowerforyou:
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    achilles_zps49d5aef5.jpg
    i also love this version of Achilles. i like the whole WTF attitude he has in this. it's not the pleading, crying Achilles, it's someone who has never had pain before and is SHOCKED by it.