Green Smoothies

Options

Replies

• jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I had a great recipe which used kale, kiwi, and some fresh mint leaves. The combination was so refreshing and tasty. I'll find it and share! :)
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I freeze the greens so they last longer and they are nice and crispy and add volume to the shake.

Oh my gosh! I can't believe I hadn't thought of that :embarassed:

My greens usually go bad before I can eat them all. I have been getting very large bags of collards, spinach, and kale for $2. It is super economical that way but in between smoothies and eating them I still don't usually eat them all before they go bad.

How long would you say they last being frozen? Do you just throw them in a zip lock bag and pop it in the freezer?
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Green Goddess Smoothie (From Prevention Magazine)

1 c baby spinach (I used half kale half spinach)

1 c cucumber chunks

1/2 avocado, halved, pitted, and peeled

1 large kiwifruit, peeled and chopped

1/2 c kefir or plain yogurt of your choice

1/2 c fresh orange or tangerine juice

1/4 c mint leaves

Add ICE if you want it to be colder.

Nutrition (per serving): 188 cal, 5 g pro, 29 g carb, 6 g fiber, 7.5 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 57 mg sodium

Benefit: Protects vision with powerful antioxidants.

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/food/cook/green-smoothie-diet/green-goddess-smoothie#ixzz2SocZe22z

The avocado provides a really nice creamy texture and the mint adds a pop of freshness. I love this recipe.
  • MrsPeek
    MrsPeek Posts: 12
    Options
    bump
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dparent01
    dparent01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Christinamarie77
    Christinamarie77 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I puree and freeze the stuff in ice cube trays (I bag the cubes)

4 cubes pureed strawberry
    2 cubes (a little more than a cup of spinach) spinach puree
    1 banana
    1 cube of pear puree.
    1 pack of light and fit blueberry greek yogurt
    1 cup water.

GENIUS!!!!!
  • Christinamarie77
    Christinamarie77 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did a green smoothie challenge a few weeks ago and shared 7 recipes on my blog.

If you're interested, I can message you the link.

me too please!!
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just got started on the green smoothie train recently and I love them for breakfast. As long as there is banana in it, I'm happy with the taste.

The basic mix for me is

Spinach
    Kale
    Frozen Blueberries
    Banana
    Almond Milk or Coconut Milk
    Ground flaxseed

After that I add in whatever fruit or vegetable looks good from my CSA box. Lately it's been strawberry, mango, and cantaloupe.
  • cutiemexiz
    cutiemexiz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    is it possible to have a green smoothie taste good and have chocolate flavor in it??
  • KristiLeighS
    KristiLeighS Posts: 112
    Options
    I have been making my husband a smoothie every morning for over a year now to help heal his stomach after surgery. It is the only one he will drink. It is: 1 banana, handful or two of spinach and frozen mango and water to blend.

spinach is your best bet when it comes to smoothies. Juices on the other hand you can put anything in.
    another idea to try is cucumber, watermelon and strawberries and maybe coconut water. this will be very hydrating.
    There are also lots of smoothie books out there with really great recipes.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I do a cup spinach, a cup and a half of OJ, and a half a banana
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    1/2 frozen banana - covers that taste right up. I also like mango or oranges/juice for this.
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    LOVE green smoothies!!!!!!!!

I tend to throw whatever I have in there, but my base is almost always:

2 handfulls of baby spinach (I have heard that you shouldn't always use spinach though....anyone else heard that???)
    1-2 stalks of kale
    handfull of parsley (ohhhhhh yes!!!! or cilantro!!!)
    frozen banana
    chia seeds - 1-2 Tbsp?? (sometimes ground flax)
    other frozen fruit - maybe 3/4 cup total?? usually pineapple, peaches or berries
    1/2 cucumber
    just enough water to get the blender going!

Sometimes I will throw half of an avocado in there - so creamy!!!

I just started making them again - it's been a couple of months since I have been consistent with making them daily, so as I get more used to them, I cut back on the fruit.

Anyone who has done juicing and blending.....which do you prefer, and why??? I am thinking of getting a juicer because I have heard so many amazing things about juicing being better than blending, but I have always loved blending for the fiber, volume, ease of prep/clean up, and amazing health benefits. Juicing tends to scare me off a little bit because of the crazy amounts of sugar some people drink through juicing. I have heard that you should juice veggies and blend fruits (so that you have the fiber with the fruit sugars). Does anyone do this??

Any thoughts???
  • paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use the NUTRIBULLET & make Dr Oz's green smoothie recipe for breakfast. Both are great!
  • ficklesoul
    ficklesoul Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of addicted to green smoothie! I hope this addiction won't end! It's by far the best way to upped my vegetables and fruit intakes :D. Among some of my fav veggies to add are raw broccoli, spinach, arugula, collard green, celery, kale, edamame bean, carrot, ginger roots. I would mix around with some fruits like berries, banana, MANGO!, pineapples, lemon, granny smith, orange, medjool dates, grapes or pretty much whatever fruits available in the fridge lol. I like to cut the fruits into small pieces and freeze it so when I blend it, it would come out thick like sorbet-like texture. No ice needed. So good!

If you're looking for some inspiration, try visiting http://simplegreensmoothies.com/recipes :) She has some awesome recipe listed.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    2 handfulls of baby spinach (I have heard that you shouldn't always use spinach though....anyone else heard that???)

Yes, I have heard that from a lot of people (including my doctor). He said to practice at least 2 days on one and 2 days off one, even if you only use one other green. I usually try to do 2 days spinach, 2 days kale, and then 2 days something else. Sometimes there is no something else so I go back to spinach. I am looking for new greens. I tried bok choy for 2 days but I didn't care for the taste in the smoothie... very peppery? Some interesting after taste. I may try swiss chard next. But yes, 2 days on then another, then repeat.
    Anyone who has done juicing and blending.....which do you prefer, and why???

I don't have a juicer but that is for good reason. You lose so many nutrient and healthy fiber while juicing. I always blend the WHOLE fruit and veggie. I don't peel anything (including kiwis) or destem anything. You get so many more nutrients by doing this.

Jen
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Great smoothies recipes!