Never be full, never be hungry...what do you think?

Options
I heard that from a bodybuilder. He said to eat every 3 hours a healthy snack and small meals. He said and going to drop all the undesired weight, my blood sugar stabilize and I wont crave sugary treats.

what do you think?:huh:

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I heard that from a bodybuilder. He said to eat every 3 hours a healthy snack and small meals. He said and going to drop all the undesired weight, my blood sugar stabilize and I wont crave sugary treats.

what do you think?:huh:

Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. If it helps you with hunger issues then eat in that pattern.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Trying to eat small meals every few hours leaves me ravenous all the time. I'm much better off eating larger meals at longer intervals.
  • MissySchwab
    MissySchwab Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    eating more often can rev your metabolism up.You just have to watch your calories and portions.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    eating more often can rev your metabolism up.

This is a myth.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    meal timing and having smaller meals and snacks through out the day can be helpful. It is mostly if you have problems with getting so hungry before a meal that you eat everything in site and go overboard.

personally i know that if i want to eat a proper dinner, i need to have a snack at about 4pm, so that i can make it to 7pm for a nice normal meal and not go overboard with seconds, wine, and dessert.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ask a question, get five different answers. ha ha! Gotta love, MFP. Figure out what works for your body. Give it a try and see what happens. :wink:
  • erintgaffaney
    Options
    Truth. I'm reading this book by a nutritionist. Smaller meals more frequently DO help stabilize blood sugar (thereby not causing your body to store extra calories as fat)/

http://www.amazon.com/PCOS-Diet-Plan-Approach-Polycystic/dp/158761023X
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You could try it and see if it works for you...it might be perfect for you. Wouldn't fit either my eating plan or my life schedule, so not for me....but YMMV.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ask a question, get five different answers. ha ha! Gotta love, MFP. Figure out what works for your body. Give it a try and see what happens. :wink:

True dat! Some people can't eat breakfast, some people have to eat breakfast (like me). Some people can train on a fast, some people would pass out if they did that. We're all different so what works for one might not work for others. If you want to, try it out and see if it helps you!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Trying to eat small meals every few hours leaves me ravenous all the time. I'm much better off eating larger meals at longer intervals.

This is my experience as well. I never felt sated eating snacks all day and thus would over eat at dinner. Now I space it out, 2 or 3 meals, and it works out way better for me that way.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Truth. I'm reading this book by a nutritionist. Smaller meals more frequently DO help stabilize blood sugar (thereby not causing your body to store extra calories as fat)/

That's your truth. Here's mine! Snacking keeps your blood sugar constantly elevated. It's better to maintain low levels of insulin allowing your body to more easily tap into your stored fat for fuel.
  • jonnythan
    Options

http://www.amazon.com/PCOS-Diet-Plan-Approach-Polycystic/dp/158761023X

There's no need to "stabilize blood sugar." Having "steady" levels of blood sugar does not mean you're storing away less fat.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Same here...I think it's an individual thing, and you should eat to your daily calorie goal at whatever times/intervals suit your life best.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is the science. If anything, it's about personal satiety. I like more frequent meals, some dont.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm a small-meal-more-frequently kind of person. I find that when eating a large meal i eventually lose my self restraint and end up overeating a lot, and just think 'it's fine, i won't be hungry or need to eat for hours after this!' Unfortunately, that's never the case. I've found personally that if i know i'll be eating something else soon then i am quite content to eat something small and low calorie.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    hara hachi bu
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Here is the science. If anything, it's about personal satiety.

The study says no such thing. If I have overlooked something, please let us know!
    I like more frequent meals, some dont.

Could it be that withdrawal following digestion of processed food feels like hunger to you?
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I personally starve to death if I eat six small meals per day, I will get to the point of starting to watch the clock to see if it is time to eat. Now, I have three main meals at a pretty structured time + a protein shake and/or bar around 7-8 pm. I have found I stay sated much longer with larger meals.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Here is the science. If anything, it's about personal satiety.

The study says no such thing. If I have overlooked something, please let us know!
    I like more frequent meals, some dont.

Could it be that withdrawal following digestion of processed food feels like hunger to you?

He meant here's the science about it not mattering. The "it's about personal satiety" part was, in my reading, his opinion.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Me too! I never get hungry until about noon or so. I eat like 2 big-ish meals a day, and I feel fine.