vidalia onions???

Options
amk44
amk44 Posts: 159
Anyone have a suggestion for using vidalia onions? I know they can be thrown into a lettuce salad, but how else do you use them?

The Shriners were selling them as a fund raiser this morning and I bought a 10 lb bag (because the money was going to a good cause). Now I have to figure out what to do with them? I plan to freeze some, but I don't want to fill up my freezer with onions.

Does anyone use them in soups or other recipes? Any and all ideas welcome. Thx in advance... :smile:

Replies

• andy_drouin
    andy_drouin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    They are really good on the bbq with Kabobs, or just big thick slices. I like them on sandwiches. You could make French onion soup. They caramelize really well.

When I was a kid I ate them raw like and apple.... you could try that. :wink:
  • leannadkins77
    leannadkins77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure you can use them anywhere you use any other onions. I always slice them and grill them with mushrooms sprinkled with garlic, salt, and pepper and eat with a hamburger patty or a turkey patty with brown gravy over the top. my dad even throws them in a can of french cut green beans and boils them until they are done. i put chopped onion in about EVERYTHING i cook - it is a great filler with very few calories and lots of flavor!
  • hdenkrn
    hdenkrn Posts: 2
    Options
    stir fry, sauteed for a meat topper, mixed into steamed veggies, tuna/ chicken salad, dipped into hummus...I could go on and on
  • kgarcia1226
    kgarcia1226 Posts: 10
    Options
    I use any kind of onions in lots of foods: throw some meat in the oven with some onions carrots & potatoes, chop chicken into bite sized pieces & saute them on the stove with onions & peppers, homemade chicken noodle soup, etc. The only thing I feel u would need 2 keep in mind about vidalias is that they tend 2 b sweeter than regular onions. Other than that ....
  • ammingjay
    ammingjay Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti! Vidalias are the only kind I buy if they are available. They are also good in scrambled eggs or omlettes.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    Cube a butternut squash (or use frozen), an apple, a vidalia onion, and half a sweet potato. Add 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock, allspice, cinammon, nutmeg, salt, pepper. Let it cook for a while and then puree. Magnificant soup and very healthy! You can pretty much use vidalia in anything you would regular onions, but they are slightly sweeter.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    You can use them in anything you'd use any other onion in. I love vidalia's in curry chicken, spaghetti, shepherds pie, salads, chicken salad... cucumbers and vidalia onions in a little rice wine vinegar is a favorite too :).
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love to chop them up with red peppers and asparagus, drizzel with olive oil, and some garlic powder ,and a little seasoning salt. them I wrap it all in foil and throw it on the grill for 20 minutes on indirect heat. great with steaks or chicken.
  • amk44
    Options
    Wow! Some great ideas! Thanks, guys. :happy:

I know the vidalia is a sweeter onion, so I wasn't sure if I could use them the same way as other onions. Sounds like I can use them pretty much like I do other onions. I do love onions in things. My husband particularly likes them sauted with mushrooms to put on almost any kind of meat. I'm going to print the ideas to include in my collection of low cal and recommended recipes. Thx again.

Does anyone know if it's better to freeze these onions raw, or better to saute (or steam) them before freezing them?
    I know I won't be able to use all of them before they start going bad, and I hope to make use of as many of them as possible.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Vidalia onions. They are the official state vegetable of Georgia (where I grew up).
    Here's the official Vidalia onion website, in case anyone cares! (I love this stuff.)

http://www.vidaliaonion.org/index.php
  • amk44
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't realize there was a site... I'm heading that way now...:wink:
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just browned 1 lb chicken breast tenderloin (EVOO only), sliced up 2 vidalias, 2 orange bell peppers, 1 lg can diced tomato, 1 sm can diced tomato and 2 can sliced olives w/jalepeno peppers and threw it all in the crockpot with a little water.

I used the recipe calculator on another sparkpeople, and it told me with 8 servings it's 68 cals per serving! Thats luch tomorrow with some brown rice.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to try these.....I've heard of them but never eaten one.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • georgette70
    georgette70 Posts: 158
    Options
    mmmmm...love vidalia onions....thanks for sharing great recipe ideas :happy:
  • amk44
    Options
    themetra - OMG that sounds SO good and I can't wait to share it with my daughter. It's the kind of recipe she would enjoy, and she thinks I'm crazy :tongue: when I say that I can find good foods for less than 200 calories a serving... Thx a bunch!!!!!!!:love:
  • amk44
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the WONDERFUL suggestions... I plan to have an egg white breakfast with vidalia onions this morning... :laugh: