How do you keep your sugars low?

Options
mrswine
mrswine Posts: 263 Member
I have been noticing lately how high my sugar intake is. I am over today because I had oatmeal (sweetened), an apple, and a yogurt. I didn't have coffee with sugar which I usually do and I am still over. How do you keep yours low? Avoid fruit and any sweet food? I am at a loss as to how to get it down and still eat a balanced menu.

Just a side note: I have adverse reactions to artificial sweeteners including splenda so real sugar is my only option.

Replies

• Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I most always go over mine with fruit...I'm still thinking as long as it is natural sugars it can't be THAT bad for you....because it is either a choice between going over on sodium or going over on sugar.
  • kitzmanrn
    kitzmanrn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. It has awakened me to see how many hidden sugars are out there. I have found that my protein bars are high in sugar. I eat a lot of fruit so usually after lunch I am over my sugars. I have to believe that the natural sugars like those found in fruit cant be that bad especially when they tell you to eat more fruits and veggies.
    So anyone with any advice out there, I could use some too! :)
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'd like some strategies for this too. It's usually natural sugars putting me over, but it stinks to see those numbers go into the red. Any thoughts?
  • n1babyfoxtrot
    Options
    I'm also looking to lower my sugar intake. It's the only thing I am over on! I'm thinking about looking for sugar free foods next time I am at the supermarket.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm always around 50 or less a day, but it goes over the 33 that's "recommended".

My meals consist of mostly meat and vegetables (no sugar). I'll take the sugar-free option for coffee if available, or just use heavy cream.

I tend to stay away from tree fruits and go more for berries as they contain a lot less sugar and seem just as sweet.

My diary is open so feel free to browse.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I went over => with one apple and one banana, LOL. I don't stress it.
  • sidkrose
    sidkrose Posts: 35
    Options
    Track your fibre instead of your sugar ;) Just try not to have very much *added* sugar. For the OP, why don't you try putting unsweetened applesauce or fruit in your oatmeal instead of adding sugar?
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    if the sugar comes from fruits & veggies, i don't worry about it. & if youre under calorie goal you can figure 1 extra sugar = 4 calories.
  • christimccarty
    Options
    watch to not get your sugar from refined grain, simple sugars like white potatoes or processed foods and any added sugar in your drinks. If its from natural sources (fruit) then I wouldn't concern yourself with it.

if you like oatmeal I would use plain and add just a tiny bit of sugar with 1/2 a cup of real fruit or sprinkle some cinnamon. lots of time you can modify what you eat just a bit and change your numbers big time in the end.

and for the sugar free comment... then you just have addtl fats put in your product. its all in trying to knock out all your processed foods. the more natural that you eat the better your numbers and results.
  • kidspot
    kidspot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Personally, when 7 carrots ALONE puts you over the "sugar limit" for myfitness pal, I think something is amiss ;-) there's sugar in nearly all veggies (the swiss chard, kolhrabi and squash I ate today all had 2g sugar each) For my food diary today I was at my sugar limit when I hit 232 calories - lol ... ALL veggies/fruit ... course if I stopped it would say "You are eating too few calories" :D So I ignore the sugar column and pay attention to what I'm eating that the sugar came from.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I don't consider fruit sugar. Sugar to me is processed, refined, artificial and added. If it has a peel or skin, the sugar is good :) Count fiber in the mix and its a really good thing.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Personally, when 7 carrots ALONE puts you over the "sugar limit" for myfitness pal, I think something is amiss ;-) there's sugar in nearly all veggies (the swiss chard, kolhrabi and squash I ate today all had 2g sugar each) For my food diary today I was at my sugar limit when I hit 232 calories - lol ... ALL veggies/fruit ... course if I stopped it would say "You are eating too few calories" :D So I ignore the sugar column and pay attention to what I'm eating that the sugar came from.

I think I am adopting this philosophy for my sugars! Thanks for all the input
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Focus on getting sugar from 'natural' foods (aka fruits & veggies) and don't care about what MFP says. I think I have been over my sugar limit EVERY SINGLE DAY that I have tracked and I couldn't care less. I haven't had any negative side effects.

However, if you're eating tons of processed foods with added sugars, I would definitely try eliminating those (for reasons beyond the sugar).
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    No processed foods, no sugar, no grains, no starchy foods, no fruit. I never worry about my sugar.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I have been noticing lately how high my sugar intake is. I am over today because I had oatmeal (sweetened), an apple, and a yogurt. I didn't have coffee with sugar which I usually do and I am still over. How do you keep yours low? Avoid fruit and any sweet food? I am at a loss as to how to get it down and still eat a balanced menu.

Just a side note: I have adverse reactions to artificial sweeteners including splenda so real sugar is my only option.
    Are you diabetic or diagnosed prediabetic? If not, tracking your sugars isn't especially necessary. Eat good foods, stay on track with your macros and calorie goals, and you'll be fine.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It's completely irrelevant.

There are far better things to worry about than your sugar intake.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Although, OP... looking at your diary, I see your coffee had 64 grams of sugar. Hmmmm.

That would be like 18 teaspoons, or more than 1/4 cup of sugar. If that's true.... holy ****.

And if it's true, your coffee did not have 154 calories. It had 256 calories from sugar alone, plus the calories from the coffee (maybe 10) plus the calories from the cream.

24 grams of fat, 64 grams carbs, and 24 grams of fat would actually be 504 calories. Not 154.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It's completely irrelevant.

There are far better things to worry about than your sugar intake.

I agree - unless one is not seeing results. Then it is time to start looking at what changes might help. Lowering sugar is one thing that can help.
  • RandyD2012
    RandyD2012 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I got sick of looking at it going over everyday just by eating an apple and a banana, so I took it off my list. hahahaha. :bigsmile:
  • ThatDamnRobyn
    ThatDamnRobyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I only recently started looking at sugar grams. I was really surprised how quickly I'd go over the recommended amount of 20-25g a day for a woman. I was counting natural sugars like fruits and veggies against that and it was practically impossible. Now I accept natural sugars as "whatever" and just focus on "added" sugars, like the sugar in my jam or the honey in my "clean eating" muffin. I don't worry too much about it, but I just try to be mindful not to go crazy every day with sweets. Mostly for my bottom line, literally.