Couch 2 5K

gettinfitmama
gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone have an idea of how I could calculate my calorie burn for Couch 2 5K short of adding up all of the individual pieces? Has anyone averaged the speed?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    It's usually safe to assume one burns 100 cals for every 10 mins of good effort. I burn 250-300 cals in my 30 mins of C25K
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Since I don't have a heart rate monitor (which would be a better way to accurately calculate your calories), I took the distance traveled by the time taken and calculated an overall mph rate. I then used the total time for the closet one on the MFP database. It depends so much on speed as well as your weight that using someone else's numbers may not be accurate. I generally extended the training to make a 1, 2 or 3 full miles so that my calculations would be easier. I did lump the warm up and cool down walk into these distances. Good luck and it feels great when you finish the training. Don't worry if you run slow and aren't at a full 3.1 miles at the end of 9 weeks. I just kept adding 3 min a week until I could do the full 3.1 miles. I graduated in Feb, have now run 2 5K races and am training for 10K. My speed is slow but at least I'm running:bigsmile: By the way last week I did a solid 5 mile run!!! If I can do it, you can.
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Thanks everyone!
    I just started back to C25K after having to stop because of a sore knee.
    So I started back with Week 3 Day 1 this afternoon.
    I can't believe I got up to 25 minute runs.
    It was a little tough today but I am glad to be back at it.
    My runs today were at 4.5 so it's easy to compute that I ran at 4.5 for 9 minutes total and I completed the rest of the hour walking at 3.5...
    But I will keep in mind your ideas for the next weeks!

thanks!
This discussion has been closed.