Any suggestions be they behavioural, time management, or simple
And fast meals are welcome ;)

Cheers,
Ceru

Replies

• KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Do you have healthier resto options nearby? Cafés can offer really great chicken or fish wraps, salads, soups, etc.

Also, leftovers are your friend! If you can find time once or twice per week to just cook up a storm and then refrigerate or freeze the leftovers, you will save yourself lots of time further down the line. I like making huge pots of soups, sauces, and chili for this purpose.

Smoothies are good way to go as well. I make protein shakes with whatever fruits I have on hand and some whey protein powder. The protein helps keep me full until my next meal.
  • Snatched614
    Snatched614 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Eating at home is ALWAYS best and probably least expensive. Try taking time out on a Saturday to cook your meats... for instance bake a few chicken breast, or salmon, shrimp etc. It doesn't take long and you can do it while you study and that should be enuff to last the week! You can even freeze it too, that way you can prepare it how you want it. For example: as a sandwhich, over a salad (bag salads), with veggies. There's a host of ways to spin it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Avoid eating out?

Dude, it's supposed to be enjoyable. It's something you should do with your friends and loved ones. I would say avoiding it is just plain antisocial.

Just get it done.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I have the same time problems. I'm an older student (went back to college for a different degree), plus I have a job and a dog to walk. I also HATE to cook, LOL.

I eat a lot of lentils, which you can buy dried and then cook a couple of meals in advance. They take about 30 minutes to cook.
    1 cup of lentils to 2.5 cups of water, bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and simmer until done.

Chop veggies ahead of time to add and keep them in containers in the refrigerator -- onions, carrots, broccoli, etc.
    I add the veggies near the end, turn the heat off, leave the lid on for 5-10 minutes, and they're done.
    One exception: butternut and acorn squash are great with lentils. Cook them with the lentils from the beginning.

Lots of protein, inexpensive, and easy to make. No recipes. I add salt for seasoning.

Editing to add you can get a rice cooker, cook up brown rice in advance, and add a little of that for variety.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Dude you are in college! We are young! You need to eat out as much as possible while it is still very easily accessible.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Please don't avoid eating out!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Tell her it's a religious thing.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

This and when you do make sure you give a big tip.
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Eat out but keep it within your calorie intake, ditch the guilt!!!!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch every day and carry it around in a small cooler that fits in my backpack.

I make sandwiches in sandwich thins.
    I make a huge salad with lots of veggies, some meat (today is tuna) and a smidgen of flavorful things like feta, olives, and or craisins.
    I have celery and dips.
    I have fruit and nuts.
    For really long days, I include a hot meal, either left overs or lean cuisine.

I make sure I have enough to get me through the end of the day. I have fallen short a few times and I always regret my choices when I do.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Practice makes perfect!
  • Make some weekly calendars and make stuff on it in advance, say on Sunday night. I've just started doing this, and it's amazing how much time is saved during the week.
  • HollisGrant
    Options
    A couple more tips:

Boil some eggs and keep them in the fridge. One egg is about 75 calories and has a lot of protein.
    I also drink a Slim Fast shake for breakfast.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Eat out if you have (or want) to. Just figure out the calorie amounts before you go and log it and eat ONLY that. My husband and I eat out too much (frankly) but I try to stay in my portions (unless I want to splurge).
  • HollisGrant
    Options
    I pack my lunch every day and carry it around in a small cooler that fits in my backpack.

I make sandwiches in sandwich thins.
    I make a huge salad with lots of veggies, some meat (today is tuna) and a smidgen of flavorful things like feta, olives, and or craisins.
    I have celery and dips.
    I have fruit and nuts.
    For really long days, I include a hot meal, either left overs or lean cuisine.

I make sure I have enough to get me through the end of the day. I have fallen short a few times and I always regret my choices when I do.

Really good advice.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Why avoid eating out? It is supposed to be enjoyable for everyone involved, but if you personally don't like it you should suck it up and do it anyway. Avoiding it can lead to serious repercussions with friends and loved ones and make it seem like you don't care.

So just do it.

And always remember to eat clean as possible.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    A couple more tips:

Boil some eggs and keep them in the fridge. One egg is about 75 calories and has a lot of protein.
    I also drink a Slim Fast shake for breakfast.

I agree on the eggs wonderful quick and nutritious.
  • kariannmbc
    kariannmbc Posts: 144
    Options
    Although there are healthy options for eating out, I know when I was a student it's not so easy on the wallet.

Tuna pouches are great, grab one (or two) of those, a couple slices of bread, and carrot sticks.
    Leftovers from: chicken, pasta, etc. Pack them up with a fresh fruit or veggie (or both).
    Sandwiches in general: cheese, meat, nut butter, egg salad, add a fruit or veggies.
    Hummus, if you like it, with pita bread or crackers.
    Yogurt with half a sandwich and fresh fruit.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    backs out, not the thread i thought it was going to be. :sad:
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you have time to get back to your house and grab a quick bite of something (just not enough time to go home and cook a full meal), I would recommend getting a slow-cooker and making meals that way. Ten or fifteen minutes of prep, then your house/apartment smells awesome when you walk in the door and your healthy meal is all cooked and ready for you. Bonus? Slow cooker recipes tend to have a pretty generous yield, so you will have leftovers later on.

I also second the cafe suggestion....lots of little no-name places starting to get onboard with the local/organic movement and trying out fresh, healthy cuisine! Good luck!