Running difficulties

workoutqueen628
workoutqueen628 Posts: 220
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I run all year round! I love it! I have recently increased my running to 5 to 6 miles, which I could do without too much difficulty. On one of my runs, I got a horrible blister on the bottom of my foot (prob. from wearing the wrong socks), so I decided to take a week off running, which is a big deal for me because I never just take a break!! And ever since them, I have had difficulties getting back to where I started! It's all mental I know that, because I know I have the endurance to do it, but I just keep thinking in my head that I can't. I cut myself some slack for a little bit and would run a little and then walk a little, and now it seems that I just let myself stop and walk during a run!! I have never done this before- if i'm tired and need to slow down, that's fine, but if there's one thing I learned from cross country in high school, it's that you don't stop running on the trail!! And now the heat is another challenge as well! I feel like my body is overcompensating due to the humidity- it makes me breathe heavy even when I'm not going that fast! Urrrgh! I'm frustrated and need some motivation- HELP!

Replies

• ATXrunner
    ATXrunner Posts: 41
    I've been through this as well. What I do after taking a break due to vacation/injury is starting with shorter distances to increase confidence in my stamina and speed. Since your endurance "block" is in your head, perhaps you can (re)build your muscle to be sure that you don't tire in the slightest during your run. A bit of caffeine or new songs on my ipod also pump me up to increase my mileage/speed. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • smallmall
    smallmall Posts: 6
    Find a 10K near you in a month print off a training plan for it, then start from tomorrow following that. Having a goal will definitely help the mental part and your body should conform with your mind :-)

Sarah Personal trainer NASM
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Yea the girl above me has a great plan for training for a race. I took a week after I completed my 1/2 marathon and I will say it was hard that first week to get back into the groove. You are right though it is mental. The only cure is to get over it in your head and just do it. After the first week back in the game you will be just fine. Sign up for that race that always helps motiviate me.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Hey workoutqueen,
    As a fellow runner, I hear ya. A lot of it is what you tell yourself, including being too hard on yourself for walking. I was never in cross country in high school, but rather began running at almost age 39. Some of the stuff we learned way back when, is not useful or helpful or accurate to us now a days. Walking is not a sign of weakness and in many cases can help you go farther, faster, with fewer injuries overall than if you push yourself to run no matter what. There is really great info on this at www.jeffgalloway.com. Just like with the ocean there are ebbs and flows. Accept them both and you will be fine. Fight the ebbs and you will be very frustrated. Hang in there girl. Hope this helps.
    Risa
This discussion has been closed.