Where should a TOTAL virgin at weight lifting start??:)

Options
I really want to get into lifting..but have no idea where to start....lol...I have some hand weights...and thats it...What do I need to go out and buy?..What books,programs,etc do I need to start with?..Ive heard of the book "New Rules of Lifting For Woman"...Would that be too hard to start with?...Ok enough questions lol..Help me get started ;)

Replies

• mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting For Woman is a good place to start. I also recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. I found an electronic copy for $5. Those books/programs will give you everything you need to get started and go for a long time.
  • MaraPN
    MaraPN Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started with NROLFW today and its not hard at all. Well it gets harder offcourse but the beginning is pretty
    easy to start if your new at weightlifting.
    Only thing i have problems with are the pushups, i just cant do them.
  • CortneyHicks20
    Options
    Where did you get starting strength for $5??? I want it!!
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    After months of being a chicken and avoiding the testosterone haven known as the weight room, I finally started SS today.

I've used dumbbells before, and would use the weight machines that were near the ellipticals and treadmills, but I never stepped foot into the weight room because "OMG look at all the huge guys"

I did buy NROLFW, but the routines just seemed too complicated for me. I didn't like that there were different moves at different levels.

I like SS because it's really straightforward, he goes into a lot of detail about each lift and the correct form, and the workouts are quite simple (not easy, simple as in no fancy bells and whistles).

I really enjoyed the reading because he's quite thorough, and after my first day using a barbell, I think I'm a convert.