Foot Problems!??

Options
GinaB30
GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
Recently I started walking a lot and so I went and got myself a new pair of sneakers....all was well until about a week ago when I started to get reallllly bad arch pain in my left foot.
I would be fine until about 20 mins in to my walk and then the pain was so bad I could hardly take the next step.

I went and bought some arch supports and tonight tried going for a good walk again but it REALLY hurts still....

My question is this: does anyone know how long it will take to break the supports in??

Thanks!

Replies

• pelelovesme1011
    Options
    I had the same problem. I bought a new pair of shoes that had a lot of cushion in them so that I could go for long walks. Turns out, the extra cushion was pushing and stretching my arch so much while I was walking, that it hurt bad! I don't know how long it takes to break in shoes, but I wore mine for a month and the pain never went away. I finally bought different shoes that didn't have that extra cushion and all is well now. I would assume that after a month, a pair of shoes should be broken in! You could be having the same problem as me and just need to buy different sneakers. Hope you solve your problem!
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Well, I hope it's not that because I spent quite a bit at the sears outlet on these nike's lol

These sneakers aren't TOO old, just a few weeks...so maybe I'll give it a bit longer then decide what to do.

Thanks!
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    Running/walking shoes don't need to be broken in. They make many different types, all for different styles of feet. Your best bet is to get them fitted.

For me, I have a normal (medium) arch with mild overpronation, so I have to buy stability shoes.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I actually still suffer from plantar fasciitis (and some days its pretty bad pain wise), but that manifested in my heels. I tried many different pairs of arch supports. None of them worked for me, and after many talks with my podiatrist, we settled on custom made ones. I expect to get them this week and was told they will probably take around 3 weeks to break in.

He did highly recommend LOTS of stretching for my feet. I was told to do this around 30 times a day, and that does seem to make a bit of a difference. He recommended a bunch of different stretches for my calves which helps my feet. The main one is to stand close to a wall, prop your toes up on the wall with your heel on the ground. He also recommended icing after workouts.