lack of motivation.. help?

Options
Lately, I've been lacking the motivation to do any form of exercise... advice? :indifferent:

Replies

• beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I understand where you are coming from. I have had to take a "do it anyway" approach. It's on my calendar. I do it. Period. If I don't stick to my planned work outs, I'll lose steam quickly and it's difficult to restart. So....back away from the keyboard and go take a brisk walk. :wink:

I need to add here that this was a HUGE weakness of mine. This is the first time in my life that I've actually committed to daily exercise (or nearly daily. Weekends are busy and so hit and miss. But I get a ton of exercise just from all of the running around) I am actually sticking with this and feeling stronger and better. It's worth it. Totally.
  • mariadreamer
    Options
    Oh, I think I'm worse: me and exercise....we are like friends from distance!!! But I tried today to do some, it's time to begin after so much time! I will try to do anything, even just walking, from now on for at least 3 times a week! I don't know if I will make it, but I will really try! Why don't you start with walking too?
  • tameekag
    tameekag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Did you write down your goals?

That really helped me to focus and have a clear target to focus on.
    Very general goals like..."I need to lose weight/eat better, etc." were not specific enough for me.

So, a suggestion would be to make a list of 3-5 goals that you will focus on over the next 90 days.

Some ideas:
    - workout at least 3x a week for 45 minutes per workout (find a workout partner if possible...hold each other accountable )
    - Stop drinking soda with lunch - drink only water
    - Eat at least 3 home-cooked dinners a week (stop eating in restaurants)

The goals don't have to be huge, but they should be specific things to focus on. They should also be personal for YOU. Don't follow along with someone else's ideas. Choose something meaningful for you. This is YOUR journey. :smile:
    Also, take a before photo of yourself to compare at the end of the 90 days (or whatever time period you choose).

Good luck! :wink:
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Can you find an exercise partner? That has helped me a lot. When I am ready to blow it off for the night, she calls and says "what time are we going walking" and I am too embarrassed to back out of it. I put on my shoes and off we go.
  • katper15
    katper15 Posts: 21
    Options
    I try to do it when I get up so there are no excuses later when I get home. Good luck!
  • feelbetternaked
    Options
    I'm new to this site, but am looking for the same thing? I believe peer motivation is a great way to go.

Thanks
    Brian

www.feelbetternaked.org
  • strieb
    strieb Posts: 8
    Options
    Have you discovered Team Beachbody DVD programs? I discovered them a couple of years ago and I fell in LOVE!! I was running out of motivation, like yourself, and then I found some fun workout DVDs and it got me back into the swing of things. If you enjoy at home DVDs, you should try a program that works for you. Visit www.teambeachbody.com and check out the "fitness programs" link at the top. A good one to start out with as a beginner is Turbo Jam - that was super fun and it eases you into a cardio routine. One of my favorites, though, is Body Combat! If you like martial arts, you will love these workouts - the music is great and the routines are intense AND fun. Hope this helps!
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Just my take on this, but stop look at it as exercise. Do you have a dog? Try taking your dog for a walk every day for at least 30 minutes. Even if you don't, it's getting nice out, so take a nice leisurely stroll and enjoy the spring! If you have a bike, try riding on the weekends. No goals, just get out and ride! There are plenty of ways. The hardest part is getting started. Download an app like Endomondo that tracks how far you go and each day try to go a little further. It may take a week or so, but you'll find yourself looking forward to it. You'll find yourself "branching" out into different activities, too.
  • bethwalshcps
    bethwalshcps Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Exercise buddies - walking buddies - group exercise classes, it helps me having someone tell me what to do next. Dvd's - you can find some good ones at the library or amazon. have a wii? they have some workouts too. Earlier better in the day. Set time also helps me. I joined a bootcamp and it has helped alot. Peer support and accountability. good luck!
  • karolinastyles
    Options
    Thank you, i'll try that! I don't really drink fizzy drinks nor eat fast food, it's just the lack of exercise! I've been trying to go to the gym for about 40-60 minutes a day but it gets boring! Having an exercise buddy is too distracting and I usually get no exercise done! :-(
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It helps me to set a goal that I know I can do - no problem - like 20 minutes. Looking at a 45-minute workout can be intimidating, but anybody can do 20 minutes. I usually do the whole workout when I reach the 20-minute mark.
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I try to vary my routine. I don't know if you do same thing over and over but interest wanes and motivation fades as an exercise gets "boring". If this is your case take a break and find a different way to burn calories. If running is boring go for a swim. If swimming turns stale hop on a bike. Just can't stand putting a DVD in again for the 30th time this month take a yoga or zumba class and socialize. There has to be something that interests you more than doing NOTHING.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    This is a personalized experiment... You have to find what works for you! You can look at friends diaries for ideas but at the end of the day you have to take control of whether you go out to eat or cook. Whether you walk, run or lift weights. Choose one or two things to change per week and keep making adjustments every week to improve what you are doing. I've dropped 152.5 pounds and I still make some changes all the time.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Yup ....... just get up right now and GO DO SOMETHING !

When you're finished, come back & tell us what you did .......

BTW, tomorrow ....... repeat ..... and add 5 minutes !
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. So I put myself out there by signing up for a Challenge that has a team approach. This requires me to be accountable to others and their advancement will partially rely on my success.
  • 72maureen
    72maureen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, i know nobody feels like exercising, it's work...lol but i take 30 minutes and set that time aside and i
    know it's my exercise time. It helps when you have a nice set up. I have a tv to watch when im on the
    treadmill and bike, it makes the time go by or you can always listen to music.
  • srrose15
    srrose15 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am in an online support group that checks with me daily to motivate me and support me not only with my workouts but eating better. There is a group starting in may - let me know if you are interested and I can give you details :)
  • RandleCassady
    RandleCassady Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have found some small success in setting some goals short and long term:

Short - hit a weight goal by our family vacation in September
    - get to where I am consistently walk / jogging a better than 15 min mile
    - get above certain weight goals on my lifts

Long - 20 % body fat
    - more aggressive lifting goals
    - run 6 miles in an hour

I use programs that have apps like c25k for cardio and stronglifts 5x5 for lifting so I have a reason to go to the gym, to get that workout in and work my way towards those goals!
  • esballet
    esballet Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like group classes. That way all you have to do is get yourself to the class. Once you're there you have to work out.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Finding an exercise program that keeps you engaged and motivated goes a long way, but I can't imagine those are easy to find. I was fortunate and got lucky with mine. Your mileage may vary. I'd encourage you to try a little of various things and see if anything feels right. Droning through workouts you can't stand or that bore you is a recipe for not wanting to bother.