Bum leg- any advice

Options
Last summer, my back spasmed and two vertebrae herniated and pinched my siatic nerve. I have got most of my motion back, but, inched the nerve through the S1 and S2 vertebrae which directly connect to my achilles tendon. So, because of this, I still have a numb 'stripe' running down the back of my leg and my achilles tendon doesn't function. I didn't know this until it happened, but your achilles tendon allows you to push off with your toe in locomotion and controls your calf strength.

SO. After all this technical stuff... I'm wondering if anyone has any physical therapy training that can give me advice about certain exercises that might help me regain this ability to move. It makes it nearly impossible to walk for a long period of time comfortably or to run at ALL, or even go up or down stairs effectively. I'm thinking exercises are going to have to start with my back and core.

Any input?

Replies

• ekht
    ekht Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Swimming! Great cardio, non-weight bearing, and it can strengthen your back enough to keep those vertebrae in place. Get a physical therapist or personal trainer to help give you more specific exercises for your particular needs. Also, if you haven't been doing any cardio for a year, yoga breathing exercises (without the stretching) are really good for building endurance of your lungs.
  • blackbird498
    Options
    I've thought about swimming but memberships to gyms with pools are way too expensive for me!

I've been doing lots of cardio- I don't let it slow me down at all, I just don't do as much as I would like to, like running. My leg is still strong, as are my lungs, but this crap about not being able to push off the ground is making me angry!

Thanks so much for your input... I guess i just need to hear it from someone else that I'm going to have to shell out the dough for a PT.

Thanks again!!