What could this be?

Options
Hi everyone,
I have been struggling with energy.....ALOT! I seem to think its due to the food I consume, however, when I mentioned it to my doctor he shrugged it off and said it is normal to be tired because I have little ones(he totally missed my point).

Let me explain,
On most days I sleep 7-8.5 hours per night (i get up twice to make bottles)
I wake up feeling pretty good, clean a bit make breakfast(1 egg and toast or toast with peanut butter)
then 15 minutes after breakfast I crash. I have to lay down and the next 2-3 hours are spent trying to watch my kids but feeling half out of with with no energy to even move.

Same happens for lunch, dinner etc. I assumed I was eating too much junk but even when I eat in moderation or just a bite the same thing happens. I have noticed that when i eat CLEAN just protien and veggies I don't crash but im shocked at how this has started to constantly happen. Can my body really be doing this? it was never a problem before.

When I am desperate for energy i'll have a ton of coffee which works but then makes me feel crappy 5-6 hours later.

and help, advice, anything?

I have 2 little boys and a husband so sometimes we don't eat 100% clean and i need to be able to function afterward.

sorry its so long, Thanks!

Replies

• ozonenrhia1
    Options
    Honestly, you need to eat more:( How old is your baby? Are you nursing? I would up calories how many are you getting? what about protein and carbs and fat?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly, you need to eat more:( How old is your baby? Are you nursing? I would up calories how many are you getting? what about protein and carbs and fat?

This.. OP, can you open your diary. If you aren't eating 1800+ calories, i will be amazed.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, because your still getting up at night, your sleep is broken. You need 8 hours of Uninterrupted sleep. So, I'm kinda with your doctor. I never started to feel more rested until I started getting that uninterrupted sleep back.
  • DoingItForME724
    DoingItForME724 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys on the diary, I just came back to my MFP account after 4 months of trying to do this solo so I haven't gotten back into the habit of tracking.....I guess that would be helpful wouldn't it :-/

My baby is 9 months old and im also 8 months pregnant but i refuse to believe its due to that. On days when I skip breakfast im full of energy, it seems just consuming food puts a damper on my energy level.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I felt like that and got blood tests from the doctor who found I had low ferritin levels. Other possiblities are low iron (anaemia), low thyroid or low vitamin D - and maybe other things as well. Can you see another doctor or nurse practitioner to ask for tests?
  • DoingItForME724
    DoingItForME724 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, because your still getting up at night, your sleep is broken. You need 8 hours of Uninterrupted sleep. So, I'm kinda with your doctor. I never started to feel more rested until I started getting that uninterrupted sleep back.

I had a feeling it could be this but I am confused as to why I wake up with energy. I really think it's my body having issues breaking down food or something but my doctor seemed to think that sounded rediculous....idk?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So how many calories are you eating? We cant advise without basic details.
  • chibbisibbie
    chibbisibbie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Okay this may sound really obvious but... how much water do you drink during the day?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you are 8 months pregnant, ask your OB/GYN. Maybe it's hormonal.
  • haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    8 months pregnant with a 9 month old at home.

Been there with the close together babies! I didn't get tested for vitamin deficiencies while I was pregnant but after my 2nd child was born (16 months apart), I had some symptoms that led my doctor to test for them. I was significantly deficient in vitamins B & D, and iron.

Deficiency in any of those will make you feel tired, as well as a host of other symptoms.

http://pregnancy.familyeducation.com/postpartum/recovery/36621.html

Getting pregnant again so soon after baby 1 could definitely put your biochemical nutrition to the test.

I would suggest talking to your OB/midwife about the possibility of being vitamin deficient. I suffered significant tearing when my son was born, and was told that the deficiencies could be part of the reason why. So beyond the fatigue, there are reasons to try to get it figured out if that is what is going on! =)

Since you are wondering about your fatigue being based on what you are eating, you might be interested in the book "Wheat Belly". It is a theory about the effects of wheat consumption on the general population (not just people who are gluten intolerant).

ETA: I was vitamin deficient despite eating well throughout my pregnancy (both in amount and type of food) and taking prenatal vitamins on a daily basis.
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You say: My baby is 9 months old and im also 8 months pregnant

That is enough of an explanation i think. By all means ask your doctor for tests - you might be vitamin deficient, and it is certainly worth checking, but meanwhile: Be kind to yourself! Babies are tiring, broken sleep is exhausting, being pregnant is tiring ... You are doing so much just by coping with all that. No wonder you're tired. Sleep when you can, eat as well as you can, and pat yourself on the back. Hats off to you!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Even if you didn't experience it with your other babies, every pregnancy is different. I think it's to do with that. I'd talk to your OBGYN.