Cross fit a cult??

Options
I just went to a new gym to begin Stronglifts 5x5 ( :) Whooop!!!) and they had a crossfit training station. I was talking to the gym instructors, she was very keen about crossfit and suggested that 5x5 and crossfit were similar. Apparently in the UK crossfit is building momentum. I was doing some research on it and lots of people are saying its some sort of cult?

Does anyone do crossfit? Whats your experiance?

Replies

• cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Lmao unless the definition of cult has changed I would say no its not a cult. I'm not a cross fitter but three of my inlaws are. They are a tight knit group who love what they do and love how it makes them feel. They do talk about it a lot but I don't think they talk or think crossfit any more than we talk or think about weightloss. For them its their way of life to stay healthy.

Edited to add that I do think they get a kind of high from pushing their bodies to the Max.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Lmao unless the definition of cult has changed I would say no its not a cult. I'm not a cross fitter but three of my inlaws are. They are a tight knit group who love what they do and love how it makes them feel. They do talk about it a lot but I don't think they talk or think crossfit any more than we talk or think about weightloss. For them its their way of life to stay healthy.

The instructor was very keen lol. I am tempted just by looking at some of the results. Mental..
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    No it's not TECHNICALLY a cult.

Just people try it out, you know, for fun and to get in shape and what not. They go, get told what to eat, how to lift, what to wear. Pretty soon they're hanging out with other crossfitters. Talking about their diet and routines. Then they hang out with the normal friends and no one wants to hear about their diets and routines so their normal friends slowly distance themselves. This just makes things worse for the crossfitter. He begins to wonder if anyone else loves him. He turns to crossfit for comfort, Crossfit gives it to him.

Now he is dependent on crossfit.

But it's not a cult per say.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

Just people try it out, you know, for fun and to get in shape and what not. They go, get told what to eat, how to lift, what to wear. Pretty soon they're hanging out with other crossfitters. Talking about their diet and routines. Then they hang out with the normal friends and no one wants to hear about their diets and routines so their normal friends slowly distance themselves. This just makes things worse for the crossfitter. He begins to wonder if anyone else loves him. He turns to crossfit for comfort, Crossfit gives it to him.

Oh... :P extreme
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

^this
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I had a Groupon to do Crossfit for a month.

It was AWESOME. I loved it and I felt amazing when I did it!

But it was too expensive for me to get a membership.... so I haven't been able to do it since. But I hope someday to go back!

I loved how everyone was very supportive! I was usually the last one to finish ANYTHING, and everyone was always cheering me on until I finished and it was so encouraging! It made me feel like I could do anything. And most of the exercises we did, I had never done, never heard of, and/or never in a million years thought I would do!!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

QFT!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I've been cross fitting almost 3 years (in July).
    The only other sport I've ever dedidcated myself to was gymnastics, when I was 10-18 years of age.

A cult? Sure - if you're an addictive personality. Like everything else you need to moderate yourself, rest your body... It's like any other sport that you align yourself with - runners get a running high, cyclists get something too... it's just your body responding to the endorphins. :glasses:

Why I stuck with CF? Because it challenged me, because it got me stronger, faster. Because I gained a family, a community I can fall back on who will forever motivate me to expect more from myself. Because even if I'm dead last, I have a cheering section.

PS - I think Sam Briggs is from the UK... She's a freakin' beast. Love her.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    I've been cross fitting almost 3 years (in July).
    The only other sport I've ever dedidcated myself to was gymnastics, when I was 10-18 years of age.

A cult? Sure - if you're an addictive personality. Like everything else you need to moderate yourself, rest your body... It's like any other sport that you align yourself with - runners get a running high, cyclists get something too... it's just your body responding to the endorphins. :glasses:

Why I stuck with CF? Because it challenged me, because it got me stronger, faster. Because I gained a family, a community I can fall back on who will forever motivate me to expect more from myself. Because even if I'm dead last, I have a cheering section.

PS - I think Sam Briggs is from the UK... She's a freakin' beast. Love her.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    The Crossfitters I know will. Not. Stop. talking about Crossfit. Or Paleo, it's 85% of any conversation with any of them. But then again I just spent 20 minutes talking to my fiance about how cool Jefferson Deadlifts are when he clearly did not care, so I guess we all have our things. :tongue:
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It's not exactly but I'm not gonna lie, I thought it was a cult when I first heard about it. People on Facebook were being super secretive about it hahah.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Definitely NOT a cult. I don't do it, but my daughter & son-in-law do. When my daughter was doing it at college before she got married, people would see her doing it, see what great shape she was in, see the great results & join in. It was mostly girls in her group, & apparently they were smoking a few guys that tried to participate...LOL. It's just a tremendous fitness program that combines flexibility, strength, & endurance training into one workout. Bob Harper of "The Biggest Loser" has said that he "drank the CrossFit Koolaid," but he was joking on what an amazing program it is. He said that he felt like after he started doing it, that he was in the best shape of his life, & uses it w/his clients. As far as the diet goes, most CrossFitters are into Paleo, but it's not a requirement or anything. You can get just as good a result w/other healthy diets.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Oh shut it... This is the next ridiculous thread about crossfit culting..

I just started crossfit and saying crossfit is a cult is such nonsense. I eat what I want, wear what I want. It's like any other sport.

By the way, it seriously is an amazing sport. I love it!! Workouts are very challenging, no excuses, great people that go there.

I first read about it on MFP and decided to check it out. So glad I did!!
  • HawkeyeLite
    Options
    I love love love my gym (the YMCA) because it offers so many great classes, but I have to admit, I want in on the cult. Crossfit sounds like so much fun!
  • ianandmand
    Options
    I can see where people think that it is, because we do not talk about much else.
    I'm totally hooked and try and encourage my mates to join. One of my mates has and....yeah he loves it too!

I'm 40 and havent done much fitness/training seriously for a long time. Now I go 5 times a week.
    I feel great when I hit a new PB and I'd argue that Im the fittest ive ever been.

I don't eat Paleo because I'm following CBL because I basically love food too much and dont fancy cutting out my fave treats :)

Is it a cult. No. Is it addictive? Yes, very much.

Give it a try :)
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

I just started crossfit and saying crossfit is a cult is such nonsense. I eat what I want, wear what I want. It's like any other sport.

By the way, it seriously is an amazing sport. I love it!! Workouts are very challenging, no excuses, great people that go there.

Umm No I won't shut up. I am asking peoples opinions on something as I am considering doing it myself. Either add something constructive or don't comment.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    I can see where people think that it is, because we do not talk about much else.
    I'm totally hooked and try and encourage my mates to join. One of my mates has and....yeah he loves it too!

I'm 40 and havent done much fitness/training seriously for a long time. Now I go 5 times a week.
    I feel great when I hit a new PB and I'd argue that Im the fittest ive ever been.

I don't eat Paleo because I'm following CBL because I basically love food too much and dont fancy cutting out my fave treats :)

Is it a cult. No. Is it addictive? Yes, very much.

Give it a try :)

I think I might. There is a class on saturday, some of the results are incredible.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    Options

Umm No I won't shut up. I am asking peoples opinions on something as I am considering doing it myself. Either add something constructive or don't comment.

Firstly, I wasn't talking to you OP :). You were just genuinly asking a question. I was talking to crossfit bashers who've never even done crossfit.

Secondly; I did add something constructive, being my own personal, positive experience. :flowerforyou:
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

Firstly, I wasn't talking to you OP :). You were just genuinly asking a question. I was talking to crossfit bashers who've never even done crossfit.

Secondly; I did add something constructive, being my own personal, positive experience. :flowerforyou:

Quite right you did... I ignored your second half - sorry!!!
  • ZealousMissJJ
    Options

Quite right you did... I ignored your second half - sorry!!!

No worries :wink:!! :flowerforyou:

I hope you'll give it a try! You'll love it.