biking with baby... :-)

Options
gpies
gpies Posts: 56 Member
Hi everyone- I just wanted to post something that has made me very happy the past few days. My youngest is 2.5 and I purchased a front loaded bike seat for him so I have better control over my bike when riding with him rather than the rear bike seats. I can't tell you how great it's been! I can talk with him while we are riding and I found that I burn almost double the calories in half the distance of my running route - crazy! And fun! I feel like it's created new bonding time between the two of us and is something that I am really enjoying. I love the seat in the front and it is much less difficult to balance (I find) than my prior rear seats for the kids. Burning about 500 calories each time without even finishing my regular route (because he does get a bit fidgety after a bit of time). I just wanted to share in case any one had thoughts of riding with their kids. (And my legs held out better than I thought they would after a long time of not accessing my bike.)

I'm so glad I started.

:-)

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    That's really awesome! I wonder about the balancing act myself.
  • fietsdebbie
    fietsdebbie Posts: 37
    Options
    We had a handle bar baby /' toddler seat for our bike when my kids were of that age. We were in the Netherlands at that time and they were sort of standard "mom" equipment there. I LOVED that seat and so did my kids. It was so much fun. Sometimes my kids would fall asleep in that seat so they would slump over and I would try to support them a little bit with my arm as we went home. Great memories. :)

We brought the front seat home with us and I used it here in the states. I was always amazed at the rubber necking I would get from other bikers / walkers as I would ride. I usually would get at least one "where did you get that seat" question per outing.

When the kids get a little older, the bike trailer works rather well too, and has been converted into my groceries trailer now that they can ride on their own.

Keep on bikin'!