Low calorie diet/weight loss/ no period

Options
2»

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I am with the majority of the responses. I think you may have an eating disorder and recommend seeing a doctor without delay. This is raising some red flags.

If your doctor refers you to a psychiatrist, do not be alarmed because there is nothing shameful about it. It is not because you're "crazy". I talked to a psychiatrist on my last tour in Afghanistan. They can help you.

Thank you for your service! And for poiting out that there is no shame in seeking professional help.
  • KatNewby
    KatNewby Posts: 26
    Options
    Menstruation is highly correlated with body fat, so as you gain weight you will likely regain a monthly cycle. However, I am not a doctor and therefore I can't say with certainty that your lack of body fat is the reason for your loss of menstruation, but there is a high probability.
    In most cases, it's low energy availability that comes first. Most women here do not get their body fat low enough for it to be the cause.

Totally agree, for the majority of us.

After some reading, I found this tid bit:

"Low-calorie diets and inadequate nutrition that cause energy deficits are thought to be the primary cause of menstrual dysfunction rather than simple low body fat, according to Dr. Anne Loucks of Ohio University."
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Lack of a period is basically a sign of your body shutting down and you are putting it through too much. You need to be eating much, much more if you're that active.

I agree with others, these are sign of an eating disorder and you should really see a professionally about this ASAP before your hair starts falling out or your organs start shutting down.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I am with the majority of the responses. I think you may have an eating disorder and recommend seeing a doctor without delay. This is raising some red flags.

^^^^ this

Exercising 1000-1400 cals a day and eating less than 1000 cals a day is starvation. that's like eating MINUS 400 calories a day. That's actually worse for your body than eating nothing at all and doing no exercise.

That is why you have no periods. Your body is starving so your reproductive system has shut itself down. The way to get it back is to start eating properly, in fact I think you should eat above your TDEE so your body can start to rebuild itself again. Include lots of protein and healthy fat. You'll probably have to build up to eating that much step by step, as it's a big jump in calories. In the meantime, throw your scales in the bin and focus on getting strong. Lift weights and avoid cardio for the time being while you're building yourself up again. That's how you fix your physical health. (and see a doctor first in case you've pushed your body past the point where you can easily fix it just by eating properly and doing weights)

As for mental health, I agree, there are a LOT of red flags. If the advice I posted about how to fix your physical health terrifies you or you think you can't possibly do that, or you're terrified of eating more and exercising less and putting on any weight at all (even healthy weight), then I think that would be another red flag for an eating disorder, and you need to see a doctor about getting treatment for that.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    metabolism damaged. yes