How many times a day is TOOOO many?

Options
Ok so I get my gym membership Monday. How many times a day is to many at the gym? I am wanting to do about 45 mins of cardio in the mornings before work and then another 30 mins of cardio after work with 30 mins of weights. Any advice or suggestions would be WONDERFUL.....

Thanks

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Weight training: 3x per week is recommended by the author of New Rules of Lifting for Women. he says 2 is ok, but four is too much and 1 is not enough.

As for cardio - if you love it, stick with it, I guess, but if not, just add some HIIT (about 15 minutes each time) to the end of your weight training workout each of the 3 days and you will have great results.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you dont burn yourself out!! Going twice a day would be too much for me!! But more power to you if you have the dedication and time!
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    I am a bit of a gym rat. I have had really good results doing what I've done, so I keep at it. It looks like you have a good amount to lose, so I recommend the more exercise you get, the better you will feel and the more you will think what you are doing is working. I also do New Rules of Lifting every other day. That's about a 45-55 minute weights workout. Then I do 4 days/week of cardio, consisting of 60-90 minute elliptical sessions, with the first 30 minutes doing HIIT. 2 days/week I go on a long mountain bike ride that's more for fun than for the exercise. You do want to make sure that you are only doing what you can handle and actually enjoy. Too much will burn you out.

I have lost 26 lbs in 2 months, eat 1800-2000 calories per day and have lost gobs of inches.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I suspect you are being too ambitious. If you have not been active until now, you are going to find that spending that much time at the gym is hard. Better to go slow, and gradual, and develop a comfortable habit you like. In the long run, you will stick with that. You can increase your efforts later on, once you have the habit, and look forward to your workouts.
    I understand we are all impatient. But, I think, if you kill yourself early on, you will start to hate exercising and you'll stop. You might get some short term gain, but you won't change anything.
    It is like those piano teachers, who browbeat the kids, telling them that if they don't practice an hour a day they'll never be any good! So they better practice an hour a day! And, the kid ends up hating being chained to the piano. Better to start with 15 minutes a day. Eventually, you will see some results, and that will be encouraging, and you will want to practice a bit longer, and it will all build, as you work your way up to an hour a day and even longer.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have a dirty dirty mind.

Anyway - I recommend that you do what you enjoy, though I think twice in one day is too much, unless one of those is just a casual stroll.

If I wasn't such a lazy *kitten*, my workout regime would be

3x Weights per week
    2x Cardio per week
    1x HIIT/Tabata per week.

Do something you can imagine yourself doing for the rest of your life. If you can sustain 1 hour & 40 minutes of exercise every day forever, um... I would doubt your veracity.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    When you're so sore and exhausted that you can't drag yourself through the gym door, you'll know that's too many.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    weight loss is 80% what you put in your mouth. I just had a quick look at your food diary. I would suggest you make a few changes with your nutrition and then take a more moderate approach to,your gym schedule. You certainly don't need to be going more than once per day with a day in the week off. You need rest days between your strength training which would be good days to do your cardio. Interval training would be a good tactic to use with your cardio.