New Runner - Maybe?

Options
2»

Replies

• twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the thick shoes and inserts. It's just my personal experience (as someone with high arches and who had plantar fasciitis) but the less shoe I used, the stronger my feet became and the less injury I had. I took it slow, built up slowly, and I'm running now, training for my first half. The info on form and foot strike is important too, I would suggest doing lots of reading on these things as well as minimalist shoes with low to zero drop. I also did foot strengthening exercises in the beginning and cross training to strengthen your legs can only help!
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have the peroneal tendodnitis right now from running too so I feel your pain. Hope you feel better soon. I am going to get back out there as soon as this heals. I have been doing biking while waiting. I use the shower massage on it on as hot as I can stand and it makes it feel better for a few hours.

Sorry to hear that; I walked tonight on the soft shoulder of the road rather than on the blacktop and felt a considerable difference - much more pleasant walk. The typical burning sensation of the peroneal tendonitis didn't occur until the end of my 3 miles and that's an improvement. Hope you heal quickly!
  • serolfrotceh
    Options
    "... we can run at any age..." doesn´t mean that: "Anybody at any age can run."

What you describe sounds like you need some professional opinion (Dr., Therapist, ...)

Meanwhile, with your ''over the waist body" you can do lots of things. Remember that the worst enemy of fat is muscle.
    ;)
  • wannabpiper
    Options
    Remember that the worst enemy of fat is muscle.
    ;)

Love it!
  • wannabpiper
    Options
    Well, the end of the story is that I was fitted for new running shoes, got the cortisone shot, and started C25K using the soft shoulder of the road rather than the hard concrete. I'm currently in week 2 of the program and am LOVING IT! I want to run much more than the program allows for, but am biding my time so that I end up strong rather than injured. Thank you all for your advice!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Well, the end of the story is that I was fitted for new running shoes, got the cortisone shot, and started C25K using the soft shoulder of the road rather than the hard concrete. I'm currently in week 2 of the program and am LOVING IT! I want to run much more than the program allows for, but am biding my time so that I end up strong rather than injured. Thank you all for your advice!

Happy it's coming together for you. Be patient. Congrats.