Not understanding the calorie change??

Thinwithin2010
Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Started this a couple weeks ago, was ill for most of it and now that i'm feeling better I wanted to add in exercise. Went into my settings, added in 3 days a week @ 30 minutes each time.. When I hit the save button it automatically took away almost 900 of my calories. So now I have less to eat a day.. Any answers??? I don't really understand it. Any help is welcomed..

Replies

• Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Do you mean it adds exercise calories or takes away from your overall total? I'm not sure I fully understand what happened.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Normally adding a goal of 3 workouts a week at 30 mins each doesn't affect the overall calories; not sure why it is for you. Best thing I can tell you to do is to remove your workout goals to have it go back to normal. That way you don't have to worry about bugs like this. So take those off and when you workout, log it to get the extra calories added that way. Just make sure you eat at least 80% of your workout calories to give your body the fuel it needs.
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    When I started this site my calories were 2,540. Which was set by MFP. Tonight I put in that I will be exercising 3 days a week @ 30 minutes. So now I have 1200 something..also set by MFP and not the 2540 anymore.... for my total calories to eat everyday I just couldn't understand why it had dropped so much.. I just checked out a site I was told to check out and it did say to eat your exercise calories. So I now know that.. (Thankyou dear person who suggested that for me to read) The number of calories I seem to have lost don't really bother me as I had been so sick I never ate anywhere near them but I just want to do this all right as I'm tired of failure.. I couldn't see how if i was looking to lose 2 lbs a week, didnt exercise, ate 2540 calories I would lose it. When now I will exercise, eat 1200 calories and lose 2 lbs a week.. It just seems crazy lol Wow I feel so dumb.. I hope you understand better.. If not I thankyou for trying..
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I'd just do what the pp said, put your settings back to normal and add exercize as you do it.
  • rosemary10
    rosemary10 Posts: 253
    Maybe you accidently put in a crazy number for one of your other parameters the first time. More than 2500 in a day is awfully high for a woman. And you don't look like you're 7 ft tall in your picture. lol Best to ya :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Maybe you accidently put in a crazy number for one of your other parameters the first time. More than 2500 in a day is awfully high for a woman. And you don't look like you're 7 ft tall in your picture. lol Best to ya :flowerforyou:
    When someone is trying to lose 149 lbs. they do need to be alloted far more cals as they are burning more than someone say that has 23 lbs to lose.

Sounds like it might be a bug. You can as someone suggested clear it out and do it manually each day but that's not really how you should have to be doing it on MFP. I would consider posting in the tech thread area and create another post there as well so Mike knows the bug is happening as it likely isn't happening to you alone. You shouldn't have to do something out of your way and different than others simply because there's an issue on the site if indeed there is.

If I'm understanding your ticker correctly and you're looking to drop 149lbs., then 1200 a day is WAY too low for you to be eating in cals and it would add more cals if you were working out for you to eat.

If my post isn't clear please feel free to PM me as I fell asleep reading earlier and just got up to get ready for bed and log a few things and check the boards. LOL I might be brain sleepy yet.

Hope I helped at least a bit,:flowerforyou:

Nothing but the best for you, as I'm sure you'l love your time with us on MFP:drinker: <~~~Oh and get those cups filled with water!!:laugh:
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • jenmonkee
    jenmonkee Posts: 57
    It changed because you lost weight and it was updated when you changed your exercise plan.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    It changed because you lost weight and it was updated when you changed your exercise plan.
    I believe she only just signed up several weeks back if I'm understanding her correctly, then got ill and is now able to begin using the site again.:flowerforyou:

My apologies if I'm misunderstanding any of this.:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.