NEED SOME HELP...

Options
I am a little annoyed at the fact that everytime I go for a long hike and walk my butt off... i friggin GAIN WEIGHTT!! WWWHHHYYY??? Does anybody know why?? please feel free to check out my profile and my food diary to see if you can help me.. i am usually under my calorie count and am not hungry because of it so if anybody can help me figure out what i am doing wrong please tell me......... this insane!!

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i'm going to answer your question with a few questions of my own:

how often are you weighing yourself?
    are you weighing yourself immediately after hiking?
    do you drink water after hiking?
    how long have you been doing mfp?

as a side note, you will always be heavier after exercise, especially if youre drinking water. you should weigh your self the same time every time wearing the same clothes on an empty stomach, preferably first thing in the morning, after peeing, before eating, and naked.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    It could be the start of muscles, but I too was wondering the same question... I try to stick to weighing myself on the same day every week (or as close to it as possible) and early in the morning. Don't be too upset that you are 'gaining' if you are weighing in right after exercise, you won't get accurate results, also our bodies retain water throughout the day which doesn't help weighing in. Pick a day that you know you can weigh in the morning and just once a week, and like Omid said,weigh in after you get up, before eating/drinking and after going to the bathroom... I forgot that last one today and I lost a pound total after I went to the bathroom, when I weighed in prior to, I only lost half of a pound. Good luck to you throughout your journey :)
  • size7again
    size7again Posts: 81
    Options

as a side note, you will always be heavier after exercise, especially if youre drinking water. you should weigh your self the same time every time wearing the same clothes on an empty stomach, preferably first thing in the morning, after peeing, before eating, and naked.
    i weigh myself often thru the week which i know is bad but i do make sure i weigh in first thing saturday am after i pee and right before i shower not eating. its usually a few hours after my hike when i check my weight.. i do drink water during the hke at least 22 oz since thats the size of my water bottle and i have been of mfp for two months or so..... i think some of it might be the fact that i dont eat every bit of my calories..? thanksboth of you for your help.. i need all i can get because i feel kinda lost! :huh:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

i weigh myself often thru the week which i know is bad but i do make sure i weigh in first thing saturday am after i pee and right before i shower not eating. its usually a few hours after my hike when i check my weight.. i do drink water during the hke at least 22 oz since thats the size of my water bottle and i have been of mfp for two months or so..... i think some of it might be the fact that i dont eat every bit of my calories..? thanksboth of you for your help.. i need all i can get because i feel kinda lost! :huh:
    You don't want to weigh immediately after exercise... any "loss" that you see at that time could be dehydration and any "gain" that you see is water weight. Your muscles retain fluid when you exercise.

I recommend weighing in every morning at the same time for a couple weeks so that you can get some baseline data for how your body actually fluctuates. If you're eating right, exercising and drinking your water.... you know that you're getting healthy.

Are you losing overall or are you seeing a constant "actual" gain?
  • size7again
    size7again Posts: 81
    Options

You don't want to weigh immediately after exercise... any "loss" that you see at that time could be dehydration and any "gain" that you see is water weight. Your muscles retain fluid when you exercise.

I recommend weighing in every morning at the same time for a couple weeks so that you can get some baseline data for how your body actually fluctuates. If you're eating right, exercising and drinking your water.... you know that you're getting healthy.

i didnt really think of that.. thanks and the idea of weighting myself each day in the morning sounds like a very good idea.. most of the time it's after i get up, go to the bathroom and get in between getting dressed to take my kids to school...i never really thought to get a baseline.. i have checked my measurements once a week and from 2 wks ago i lost half an inch... i have lost 8 pounds in the last few months but my husband and i go on hikes every other weekend and it seems that i gain 2 lbs and it takes 2 weeks to get those 2 lbs back off....not sure why.. muscle perhaps?
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The scale is the devil. Measurements are a MUCH more accurate way to track your progress! Congrats on your loss. I love hiking! Excited for the nice weather so we can actually do some :D
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I can lose a couple of pound in weight after exercise because I work hard so sweat hard. A couple of drinks of water later and I'm back again.

I weigh myself usually Sunday AM or Monday AM depending on which day before was my rest day (I always have one rest day a week). If I weigh myself when my body is most at rest I know the results won't fluctuate too much.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

i didnt really think of that.. thanks and the idea of weighting myself each day in the morning sounds like a very good idea.. most of the time it's after i get up, go to the bathroom and get in between getting dressed to take my kids to school...i never really thought to get a baseline.. i have checked my measurements once a week and from 2 wks ago i lost half an inch... i have lost 8 pounds in the last few months but my husband and i go on hikes every other weekend and it seems that i gain 2 lbs and it takes 2 weeks to get those 2 lbs back off....not sure why.. muscle perhaps?

You (as a woman) are not GAINING two pounds of muscle. It is very difficult for a woman to gain pounds of muscle. Please google muscle building and learn about the process. This statement is false and is perpetuated here with no foundation.

You would need to do a significant amount of resistance training to gain even ONE pound of muscle. That said, you will retain fluids due to exercise as was suggested above.

It is also recommended to weigh once a week. Daily fluctuations of up to five pounds are common due to many factors. (ie. diet high in sodium, exercise, time-of-month, what and when you ate and in what combinations, when you last "eliminated" etc etc)

___________________________________________________________________________________