Emotional eaters?!

Options
124»

Replies

• gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am 100% an emotional eater. My natural eating habits are so unhealthy. I go from one extreme - hardly eating for hours - to binge eating. I also try not to have my usual comfort foods at home - chocolate, crisps, cakes, cheese (all the Cs) oh, and pizza! Now that I've listed those, I really want pizza. I definitely eat for comfort and I snack more than I eat proper meals. I always say what I really need is a live-in chef. ;)
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I gave in last night, if it wasn't so late I would have gone out for a walk. I've gotten better with choosing what to eat but it's not like that all the time and it is a constant battle.
  • kalyse
    kalyse Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    im a horrible binge eater - i do really well for a few days then i give in to cravings and start a week long binge - today i decided to "take action" and am challenging myself to 76 days of being completely binge free. im going to be blogging everyday - you can add me if u want to follow it? maybe it can help you find ways to stop or understand why you do it. i know how hard it is and makes you feel like crap physically and emotionally...im sorry i dont have any answers or advice. good luck on your journey!
  • lorilwayne2
    lorilwayne2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Definately have had my history of emotional eating. Chocolate and I are buds and have been for a long time. I like the sweet and salty stuff when I'm tired and during my night shifts. What do I do now?
    1. I watch my calories and log my food. The days that I go over I don't beat myself over the head and give up I just keep chugging along.
    2. Since I work night shifts I on the nights that I am on nocturnal eating cycle I try to finish eating my meals by midnight. Then I have a snack if I find myself hungry of trail mix, saltine crackers. I do drink caffeinated beverages to help with this.
    3. I eat regular foods just in smaller amounts this way I don't end up with craving and feeling deprived.

Started watching what I ate after state wrestling however didn't start true lifestyle management retraining until Mid- March.

Take care.
  • hatkinson87
    Options
    I've been emotional eater since I was 13. It's such a sad, destructive downward spiral!!

My dad passed away when I was 6 and my grandfather passed away when I was 13. That's when I discovered food...seriously. As a kid I ate what my mom gave me (which was always super healthy) and didn't know much about junk food or candy. I stayed with my grandmother the summer after my g-father passed away and she always had treats, candy and ice cream. I used to eat all day while she was at work to distract myself from my loneliness. It wasn't until I was a freshman in college that I realized I had an eating disorder. I know most people wouldn't look at it like that, but I did. The emotional side of emotional eating is very similar to what bulimics and anorexic's experience.

The only thing that has helped me is getting to the root of the issue. Since college, I've worked with a couple of different mentors and counselors and have gotten to the bottom of why I view food as a comfort. I still struggle with it, but I realize that there is normally a deeper issue going on and I try to talk it through with someone and keep my focus on being a healthier person emotionally first, then physically.

If you need encouragement, please feel free to add me and I'll cheer you on! :)
  • hatkinson87
    Options
    im a horrible binge eater - i do really well for a few days then i give in to cravings and start a week long binge - today i decided to "take action" and am challenging myself to 76 days of being completely binge free. im going to be blogging everyday - you can add me if u want to follow it? maybe it can help you find ways to stop or understand why you do it. i know how hard it is and makes you feel like crap physically and emotionally...im sorry i dont have any answers or advice. good luck on your journey!

Go girl!!! I wish you the best with this and would love to cheer you on if you want to add me! :)
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I'm a stress eater and basically depression brings on the binges. I've started taking Rhodiola Rosea to help me out and have noticed my stress eating / binging has basically gone out the window. I feel better for taking it. It helps me but as you know, everyone is different.
  • smily_001
    smily_001 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm a very emotional eater. I eat when I'm sad bored and happy, but what I have been trying too do is go for a walk and think and then if I still want something I try to eat fruit or a low call snack like cheese. I also don't really have junk good in the house, so that helps.