High protein bag lunch ideas

Hey
If you all have any ideas for high protein bag lunches, I would appreciate them. Thanks!!

Replies

• SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    I often have leftovers from the night before, I try not to have too much rice or pasta etc, so most the meat and the veg

nut / cheese salad

yoghut and nuts
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Every day I take a pot of cottage cheese, a yoghurt and some kind of crackers etc to have at work.

Sometimes I'll also bring some slices of chicken.

I follow that up with a high quality protein bar.

Protein lunch ahoy!!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Beef Jerkey, low fat cheese sticks, yogurt...
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    lunch meat. I prefer turkey
    beef jerky
    greek yogurt
    tuna (i mix shredded cheese, bacon bits, relish and hot sauce into mine and heat it up)
    protein bars
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    tuna, almonds, cottage cheese, fiber one makes a protein bar (caramel) 130 cals wicked good, grilled chicken salad, black beans, peanut butter, almond butter...
  • Thinnyminime
    Thinnyminime Posts: 41 Member
    Home made high protein soup. I like a hot lunch. Make your own broth from bones chill it and skim the fat away. Then add veggies and chicken breast meat. Dried herbs have lots of potassium and other good stuff so you can flavour the broth too. Yum Yum
  • runner_gurl76
    runner_gurl76 Posts: 37 Member
    In my lunch every day is a tupperware container with:

1 cup protein (Steak, Chicken, Tuna)
    1 cup veg (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, grape tomatoes)
    1/2 avocado

*Sometimes I throw a sprinkle of cheese in there as a treat.

350 calories & 35g protein
    Healthy, Delicious and Filling!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    1. Black bean salad

Toss together a cup of black beans, salsa, shredded greens, diced tomato, a little crushed tortilla chips and low fat cheese.

TIP: Rinse canned beans to reduce the presence of natural sugars that cause gas. Also, the canned liquid with black beans is dark and will add an unattractive color to your salad if not well rinsed.

2. Chicken/turkey wrap

Fill a small whole grain tortilla with grilled chicken or turkey slices, 2-3 slices of avocado, diced tomatoes, a little low cal dressing.

3. Veggie Sandwich

1 whole-wheat pita pocket with 1 cup fresh or cooked/grilled veggies and 1 oz of low fat cheese or other low calorie spread.

Low Calorie Spreads or Condiments:

Nutritious Low Calorie Spreads, Condiments, and Dips

For nutritious, low calorie, high fiber veggie ideas (to fill you up and keep you feeling satisfied read part one of this article.

4. Nut butter sandwich (peanut, almond, cashew, or other nut butter)

Add 1 Tbsp. nut butter to 2 slices light whole wheat bread. Top with thinly sliced apple, peach, or pear for a little sweetness and fresh flavor (slice fruit just before adding to your sandwich or treat with a little lemon juice to keep from browning too much before you eat).

5. Bagel, low fat yogurt, and a piece of fruit

*Shop carefully! Bagels can be loaded with calories depending on the size and ingredients. Look for bagels with fewer than 200 calories.

6. Quinoa and Bean Salad

Mix pre-cooked quinoa with the beans of your choice (black beans, black-eyed peas, white beans, garbanzo beans also known as chickpeas, kidney beans, pinto beans, etc.) Add diced onions plus diced red bell pepper and/or green bell pepper. Drizzle with a little low calorie Italian dressing or a little olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Season to taste.

To learn more about quinoa read:

Healthy, Low Calorie Quinoa Recipes

7. Pasta salad

Cook up some whole wheat pasta in the beginning of the week. Toss it with a little olive oil and store in the refrigerator. Now you have a base to which you can add tuna fish or some leftover chicken or turkey pieces. Next add some diced veggies, olives, or pickles. Start with 1 cup of pasta, add meat or other protein food (egg, fish, tofu, tempeh, etc.), and veggies.

8. Hard-boiled egg, small salad, and whole grain crackers

9. Hummus and tomato sandwich

1 small whole wheat pita, 2 tbsp. hummus, 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, 1/4 cup feta cheese, and 1/2 cup fresh spinach (Spread the hummus on the tortilla, add the other ingredients and roll up).

10. Tuna, chicken, or turkey salad

Mix the tuna or diced poultry with a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil instead of mayonnaise. Eat on whole grain crackers along with some seedless grapes or other fruit.

11. Low fat cottage cheese mixed with diced tomatoes and green bell peppers, season to taste. Eat with a healthy low fat muffin and a piece of fruit.

12. Planned Overs

Homemade soup, chili, casseroles, quiche, leftover low fat veggie pizzas, etc. make great planned overs. Portion out an appropriate amount into a microwave safe container and zap at the office. Or bring hot soup or casserole in a wide mouth thermos.

NOTE: Keep your food safe. Meals and snacks with meat, fish, poultry, and dairy need refrigeration. If you do not have access to a refrigerator invest in what you may need to keep your food safe. A lunchbox or bag with ice packs works well or you might use a wide-mouth thermos.
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    I love the pouches of tuna because they are easy and you can take them anywhere.

Been looking for some other choices - so thanks for posting!!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    This edamame and bean salad with corn is awesome for protein and nutrition and pretty hardy unrefrigerated. 1.5 cups has 15 grams of protein but more if you add more edamame and beans---also I use no oil with this and it's still yummy

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/healthy-garden-salad/
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Thank you all, making my shopping list now!