when your not at the gym

j_g4ever
j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
My husband and i signed up for a gym and we are loving it. we go three times a week. Here is my question what do you guys do when you don't go to the gym?? I use to workout from home for a half hour everyday and now since I go to the gym 3x a week for an hour i feel like I made up my time for the time im not at the gym even though I know this isn't always true. Just need a little bit of help. Should I be working out for a half hour or long.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I go to the gym 5 days a week. The other 2, I sit on my butt & twiddle my thumbs most of the day. The rest of the day I run random errands *cheesy grin*
    It's important to take rest days, in order to let your body recover and grow stronger.
  • onmyway45
    onmyway45 Posts: 7
    When I don't go to the gym I make sure that I burn extra calories by doing small things that add up-parking further away, etc. I also walk at a local park with my friend (its exercise and I get to socialize!) or I do the 30 day shred. Basically I make sure I do something EVERYDAY. Plus I get to eat a little more from the calories I earned! Good luck!
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    I try and do some type of activity the days I don't go to the gym. Today was Sunday and I did not go to the gym. I felt a little lazy and I needed to burn some calories so I could eat dinner. I rode my bicycle for 45 minutes and combined the ride with an errand so I took care of two things at once. I also try and walk the days I don't go to the gym.I lose weight very slowly so I feel I need to get in some type of activity each day to prevent my weight loss from stalling.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    My husband and i signed up for a gym and we are loving it. we go three times a week. Here is my question what do you guys do when you don't go to the gym?? I use to workout from home for a half hour everyday and now since I go to the gym 3x a week for an hour i feel like I made up my time for the time im not at the gym even though I know this isn't always true. Just need a little bit of help. Should I be working out for a half hour or long.
    That's awesome that you're both on board, bet that makes it easier for you both in regards to motivation. :drinker: :happy:

I try to get in 5 days of workouts at least, I'm trying to get back to 6 but change them up a bit. If I can only make it to the gym 3 times a week I do something with friends (workout wise) or by myself as in say workout vids etc. so it's bumped up to 5 pretty decent workouts a week. I prefer 6 days of working out and then have a rest day when I spend time with friends and such but even then I'm quite active.

Maybe if you used to workout 5-6 days at home for an hour or so on videos etc., you body might enjoy adding another day or two in during the week besides just the 3 at the gym. I think it really depends on your goals, if you're trying to maintain or trying to lose would make the difference. I'm going for toning up more so I try and spend more time on it.

Clear as mud?
    Sorry my brain is a bit on the tired side.:blushing: :laugh:
    Becca♥
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    That's awesome that you're both on board, bet that makes it easier for you both in regards to motivation. :drinker: :happy:

I try to get in 5 days of workouts at least, I'm trying to get back to 6 but change them up a bit. If I can only make it to the gym 3 times a week I do something with friends (workout wise) or by myself as in say workout vids etc. so it's bumped up to 5 pretty decent workouts a week. I prefer 6 days of working out and then have a rest day when I spend time with friends and such but even then I'm quite active.

Maybe if you used to workout 5-6 days at home for an hour or so on videos etc., you body might enjoy adding another day or two in during the week besides just the 3 at the gym. I think it really depends on your goals, if you're trying to maintain or trying to lose would make the difference. I'm going for toning up more so I try and spend more time on it.

Clear as mud?
    Becca♥

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: yep clear as mud. I understand. I had lost a lot of weight and I have gain well i will say all of it back and now I have to loose it again. damn I'm so stupid I can't believe I let myself do this. I love it at the gym and it does help having my husband however he doesn't eat the best so that part doesn't keep me on track as much. Its really hard to eat healthy when everyone else in the family doesn't have too. I did it before and I know I can do it again and once I loose the first couple of pounds i know i will be so excited to keep going its just getting there.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member

Clear as mud?
    Becca♥

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: yep clear as mud. I understand. I had lost a lot of weight and I have gain well i will say all of it back and now I have to loose it again. damn I'm so stupid I can't believe I let myself do this. I love it at the gym and it does help having my husband however he doesn't eat the best so that part doesn't keep me on track as much. Its really hard to eat healthy when everyone else in the family doesn't have too. I did it before and I know I can do it again and once I loose the first couple of pounds i know i will be so excited to keep going its just getting there.

Oh I hear ya! In the past I've done the losing weight thing several ways, one way was changing to eating less junk as often as I used to, then I felt better so then I found myself craving more veggies and fruits. Then less and less crap and well, then I seemed to be on my way. THAT'S when I got into moving my body as I felt more and more confident. I was far larger then and I had some nonsense in my head that you had to be fit to go to the gym, well ya don't and I know that but it's tough to overcome fear at the begining of so many changes.

The next time I jumped right into moving and the food followed into place, here's where your hubs may fit in, as he sees his body making changes it often can effect the foods we crave. You work really hard at something physically you tend to drink more water, less salty things, grab an apple (here's where you come in, FRUIT ON THE COUNTER GIRL lol), then the b-q chicken and salads etc. start to over power the pizza delivery guy.

Plus guys love to see how much less money things cost and pizza delivered and take out food as we know gets costly compared to yummy chicken dishes, really tasty grilled veggies, kabobs etc. He'll be lovin that grill before Mid Summer.

SO that's why I said in the earlier email how getting him to the gym is Step one and a HUGE step at that! Can't recall how old your kiddo's are now but making fruit cabobs with dipping sauce, veggie or some meat on it would be fun for them to be involved in. Edamame they might really enjoy.

Have fun, it comes with challenges but to see the changes along the way and in the end ..health is worth making sacrifices for!

Setting the grill up for tomorrow are you?:tongue:
    Becca:wink::flowerforyou:
  • The days that I don't hit the gym I tend to do something that involves a descent walk. I either head up Mount Maunganui which is a hard slog or go for a walk along the harbour edge.... now that winter is hitting here, I may need to head to the gym more often :)
This discussion has been closed.