Need help binge eating

Options
I lost 15 kilos on a shake/low carb diet quite easily and without any binges. SInce I have reintroduced carbohydrates again though i cant stop binging (i have never had this problem before) ill eat and ill eat and its like something has possessed me i have no control over what im doing and I cant stop. Today i had a binge for like 4-5 hours. I dont know why this happening and dont know how to stop.

Should I just avoid carbohydrates and go back on a low carb plan?

Replies

• wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think if they're good carbs like whole grains and things like that you should be fine. However if you're binging on junk food like chips and candy, put them down now! I say this in the nicest way possible.

Or I think you could still lose weight if you had 1 splurge day out of the week and ate healthy for the other 6. That's what has worked best for me instead of saying no junk food ever again. Otherwise I would just start binge eating and never go back.
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    The shake/low carb diet is what I'd call a crash diet. Things like Slim fast etc are good for very short term loss but they are never good for sustaining.

It Sounds like you do exactly what I used to, I used to eat an extra large pizza in 20 mintues with sides easily. And then feel sick 20 mins later, but still want more. At lunches I'd have 2 sandwiches (not so bad) but then a bag of crisps and 2 chocolate bars, It's very easy to binge, but you can stop you just need to make a few changes.

How much do you need to lose? Is it a lot? If you're going to eat carbs eat BROWN stuff, Brown bread, Wholewheat pasta/rice and learn to read lables.

Eat slowly. Pace yourself instead of stuffing down food, one idea to help with that is when you're eating something have a sip of water after each bite. this will make you eat slower and also you'll have the water to fill you up as well.

try adding beans/peas/sweetcorn/various veg to what you eat, you may end up eating more, but it will be healthier stuff.

If you're stuffing down sweets try to sub in 'healthier' things, for example get in seeds/nuts instead of that packet of jelly babies, if you're eating loads of crisps swap heavy potato chips for Quavers or Wotsits, they are lower in cals and a decent snack.

All in all though it's going to be about will power, you have to look at the food that's bad for you and even if you want it in your head you have to tell yourself that you want to change and that if you don't eat that food things could get better.

Believe me, I've missed Pizza like you wouldn't understand in the last 4 weeks. It was my regular sunday feast, this sunday I had beans on brown toast, it's just not a substitute, but I feel great about not eating pizza today. You have to think of what you'll get out of what you eat later rather than what you're getting now.
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I lost all the weight I needed to on that shake diet but since then I have put 4-5 kilos back on due to these episodes. I don't binge everyday I'll be good for a few days and then I'll eat something and the binges will start again. The thing is I don't even enjoy it u just can't stop. I think it's happens worse when I eat simple carbs rather then complex so maybe it's the sugar in these foods that starts it and so I think that's what I need to to avoid. What do I guys think? This binging thing has only happened since I have lost the weight none of these issues before.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I think it is the fact that eating shakes/low carbs u are probably craving everything you couldnt' have before.
    perhaps think about what foods trigger your binge? I already know in my case its all junk food like pizza and fries, nachos, etc. I can't help myself. So when I want these things I make it myself at home in single servings.

for example: fries: I do over roasted fries
    pizza: I buy individual crusts, sauce, low fat cheese, slice up some onions, bell peppers, etc and put it in the over and I can control whats in it and how much.

I am going thru the same thing so don't worry you're not alone. just have to find something that works for you. wether its drinking water, chewing gum, brushing your teeth, reading, running, do something when u get that urge to binge.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    The shake/low carb diet is what I'd call a crash diet. Things like Slim fast etc are good for very short term loss but they are never good for sustaining.

Hi. Low carbing is not a crash diet. It is a lifestyle change. It is comprised of eating WHOLE, natural foods (preferably organic if you can afford it)

As an experienced low carber I have found that you need to fill your menu with WHOLE Foods.

I only have shakes on occasion after working out, but I don't have them on a consistent basis. I only use high quality protein also such as Jay Robb also.

You shouldn't look at low carb as an only weight loss thing, it is meant to get rid of those cravings so you don't want junk food any longer.

Your meals should be filled with good quality protein (fresh beef, pork, chicken, fish, seafood, eggs)
    Lots of veggies (lots of dark green, leafy veggies and other veggies)
    Minimal fruit (preferably berries)
    Dairy

Whole grains, beans, other legumes, starchier carbs such as potatos should all be added in slowly to test for food intolerances (such as binging). Also, these types of carbs should be eaten in moderation, not everyday. Often times binging comes from food intolerance.

Just my experience over the past few years and sharing it with you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    Someone posted this link a day or two ago. You sound exactly what this guy is talking about.

http://www.scottabel.com/publications/2010-More-on-Metabolic-Damage.pdf
  • silphael
    silphael Posts: 1
    Options
    I've read a bit on binge eating - I would really recommend that you do some research: books, support groups, therapy, online stuff. It doesn't matter if you binge on healthy food - you may have a better balance of nutrients in your diet overall, but you'll eat way too much. I do this - it is easy to eat a thousand or more calories in one sitting. It feels like you just can't stop, right? And you eat past the point of fullness and pain. There is a lot that can trigger binge eating - dieting actually can be a huge trigger, and food restriction (like trying to avoid carbs...), as well as emotional triggers (bingeing helps block out all the stress, but it makes things worse in the end).

I haven't figured this out yet for me, but so far I've tried to make sure I am losing weight VERY slowly, and eating regularly so I never get too hungry. I also am trying to be more aware of the emotions that overwhelm me. And I had been a vegan for awhile, but that made my binges worse, so I try to do the flexitarian thing now - if I really want a tortilla with cheese and sour cream, I make an appropriate sized serving, eat it slowly and really enjoy every flavor. I know that I can eat something delicious at every meal, so I don't have to inhale my favorite foods in large quantities. And I try not to deny myself - indulge now and then, but not binge.

I hope this wasn't too rambling, and at least a little helpful :) At least you are near your goal weight -> I have, like, 30 lbs to go! :X