Eating Special K Foods

Options
I know that probably alot of people eat Special K, and I wanted to ask if Special K really helps and is it healthy?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    They're like most cereal manufactures who make and manufacture foods to taste good and most of their products have a boatload of ingredients to get there. Healthy needs context and dosage because anything can be considered healthy if it fills missing nutrients in a particular diet, personally I wouldn't be consuming cereals because of other great stuff that I find tastes better than sugary carbs.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Healthy by what standards? Healthy can go as far as you want to take it.
    Compared to other cereals , sure.
    But there are countless articles and information that talk about the dangers of soy, gluten, wheat , and sugar, which is what special k products are. Bloated bellies and man boobs from all of the estrogen. Etc Etc, Look up the first 4 ingredients on the list, and read some info on them and decide wether it is nourishing to your body or not.
    DOn't get me wrong, I eat them for a treat, but I think of it as cheating when I do.
  • Mzgarcia10
    Mzgarcia10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I personally stay away if i can. I use the chocolate crisps when i need a chocolate fix, but that's considered a cheat for me. Fruits and veggies i would prefer.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    you would get more out of your breakfast if you added some protein to it. In my humble opinion, special K or any of the cereals touted to be 'low calorie' aren't filling at all, so they are claiming I can eat a serving that is 110 calories or whatever, but i would need to eat at least 4 bowls, and would be hungry again soon.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's just a marketing scheme made from artificial ingredients and heavily processed. It's perfect for people who want to feel like they're eating healthy but are too lazy to actually make a lifestyle change. I'll certainly eat one of their granola bars or snacks if ones available, but I wouldn't recommend the 'special k challenge' or anything.
  • britkneemeyer
    britkneemeyer Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Imho special k isn't helpful nor healthy. It's just yet another highly processed "diet food" that is marketed for weight loss. You definitely shouldn't eat it for two meals a day like the commercial suggests *eye twitches* That's just my opinion though.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I like the Special K protein cereal, it's pretty good.
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    To each their own journey and own food choices. Do what you see works for you. I personally eat them Monday through Friday for my lunch because truth be told I can admit it I am lazy and don’t want to cook a lunch, and use a microwave at work that has a line of people waiting for it, but I have been seeing results. I don’t credit it to eating special K every day because I do make my breakfast and dinner I just rather pack cereal for lunch because it is faster for me and works. But any who I really like them and do eat them with almond milk. I really like to eat the almond vanilla, or the pecan cinnamon, and the oats one.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    healthy? no. delicious? yes
  • bbacskai
    bbacskai Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Although I love special K and wheatabix depending on the country I'm traveling to, I'd say stay away and focus on real fruits, vegetables (Yes! You can have vegetables for breakfast!) and sources of protein rather than going that high carb minimal protein route. Change your vitamin from a one-a-day to another choice and your covered on Special K's attributes.

At the same time, Kellog's makea a great "pop chip" competitor. Look for their chips. I love them but apparently, the rest of the US does not, because I was able to pick up some flavors at the local bargain outlet that I've never seen at my health food grocer.
  • Mikebmth
    Mikebmth Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The Special K diet is nothing but dangerous in my opinion, I tried it about a year ago when I wanted to loose a few pounds. After spending 7 days of eating it and of course fruit, veg and fish all I felt was congested so I went on-line to find out if anyone else was the same and surprise surprise several people all had suffered with major constipation from the suggested diet that Kelloggs promote.

I now eat a low fat yoghurt and fruit or porridge for breakfast which keeps me regular and is filling..
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I like a few of their items. The Savory Herb crackers are great with Laughing Cow cheese or hummus, and the Pastry Crisps are like little baby Pop-Tarts that fit in your pocket. Most of the Special K stuff is low cal, so you can easily fit their treats into a balanced diet if you like them. I wouldn't go crazy on them--or on anything--but some of it is quite tasty.
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    depends, if you are doing a special K "diet" of some form then probably not, if you want to eat special K (or many of their delicious products) then go ahead as long as you keep to your goals (protein,carb, fat, calorie,etc).

(I eat lots of the special K bars to increase my calorie count on days when its low. )

But on that not you can pretty much eat whatever the hell you want as long as you hit your nutritional goals by controlling the amount you eat., its just a matter of the ****tier the food the less you can eat of it. (e.g. I could hit my entire daily calorie goal at mcdonalds and still feel starving, it I could eat my calorie goal for the day with only celery and boiled chicken and have so much food to eat that I cannot posibally consume it ia.. )
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No.

Eat your vegetables.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have a box of the vanilla almond cereal in my pantry, but I don't eat it daily. I reserve it for mornings (or evenings) where I want something a little sweet, and don't have any snacks in the house because I failed to go to the grocery store.
  • blodk66
    blodk66 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No, eat fresh foods like fruits and veggies. All cereals are processed and have lots of "things" in them.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have one of these every morning Sausage, Egg & Cheese Flatbread Breakfast Sandwich (by kellogs)

I love them - especially as I am one cranky *kitten* b!tch in the morning and in a 90 seconds can have breakfast and my coffee :laugh: