Does wearing support garments help with flabby belly skin?

I'm not a fan of tight undies, but I'm wondering if I should be. Any experience?

I've got this tummy flap, and there is solid muscle underneath. I'm thinking if I wear tighter undies, it'll support the skin so that it can shrink back down. Otherwise, I guess I'm leaving it all to gravity. But the thought of something tight...<shudder>.

Another issue for me...anything big enough to fit my hips is too loose in the waist/tummy. A I end up with not much support anyway. (tummy control jeans don't work for me for this reason.)

Replies

• moxiepurple
    moxiepurple Posts: 4 Member
    Not sure about the support wear, but I have a suggestion for pants. If you are plus size, Lane Bryant has Right Fit jeans, http://www.lanebryant.com/content.jsp?pageName=RightFit&amp; . I have a smaller butt than my waist and hips and have always had loose fabric there, the red/triangle jeans were perfect for my shape. The sales associates can help you find the right ones for you if you run into any problems. Good luck!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    I used to wear the blue dot, but I'm not in Lane Bryant sizes anymore. Kind of sad, because I loved my clothes fom there.
  • moxiepurple
    moxiepurple Posts: 4 Member
    That's great though, congratulations! :smile: I love LB's clothes, but I am ready to downgrade. Its funny that I really want to wear Old Navy's regular sizes again.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    I too am curious, I would think since corset training can work to shrink a waist that support garments would help over time to help flabby belly skin ??????
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Great question, it is one I have as well!

I am very pear shaped. Obnoxiously so. My hips and lower belly carries a lot more than my upper belly/body. Thus my lower belly has an overlapping "fat apron" from having carried so much....as well as from having had babies.

I have wondered the same, if giving it a little bit of support along the way with my weight loss efforts will help it with shaping in the end. I kind of doubt it, but yet I hope. I had the same thought about if corsets can shape a person over time, in theory, it might help some.

Either way, I think I might start wearing them some as the support just feels good, and it certainly helps to look a little better on the outside.
  • 08kat
    08kat Posts: 51
    I still have about 60-80 lbs to go, but I have recently become a fan of Spanx. Just like you, I have a flabby belly, but am noticing definite shinkage of the belly and muscle tone underneath. Rather than jiggle in all the wrong places, I prefer support garments until I get closer to a less "jiggly" size. :happy:
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    ONE WORD- SPANX!!! I love spanx. helps to hold everything in, and really makes your clothes hang better on you too!!! There are different styles, I usually only wear the top kind that hold in my tummy. Take a look at them, I know you will love them.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    only when your wearing them! :bigsmile:
  • Svolt
    Svolt Posts: 284 Member
    YES! SPANX! They really help, plus they take a few inches off at the waist. They are a must when I wear any form fitting dress or pencil skirt. They smooth out any back bulges or loose tummy.
  • ONE WORD- SPANX!!! I love spanx. helps to hold everything in, and really makes your clothes hang better on you too!!! There are different styles, I usually only wear the top kind that hold in my tummy. Take a look at them, I know you will love them.

This ... I def agree. I use one called Sweet Nothings by Maidenform ... I like the one that you can wear your own bra, but it covers your back to your bottom and just under your boobies to your ... well you know lol. They are great and really smooth you out. What's even better is that they are a reasonable price point and you can get them at Walmart or Walmart online - fyi they do run a little small. I wear them under almost everything now ... absolutely love them.

Edited: This one is $21.94, Style 82656 (I don't know if that's the style # for the size, but it will take you to the item). AND it tends to make your boobies look bigger ... pushes you up and together ... so you might need a cami to cover the girls. I've never had any complaints lol.
  • Svolt
    Svolt Posts: 284 Member
    Sara Blakely makes ASSETS which is available at Target for a lower price ;)
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Not sure if it would help in the long run. I read a few articles last year that said to do a lot of exfoliation and moisturization to lessen the flabby skin (if that's all that it is)
  • elena0559
    elena0559 Posts: 29 Member
    ONE WORD- SPANX!!! I love spanx. helps to hold everything in, and really makes your clothes hang better on you too!!! There are different styles, I usually only wear the top kind that hold in my tummy. Take a look at them, I know you will love them.

This ... I def agree. I use one called Sweet Nothings by Maidenform ... I like the one that you can wear your own bra, but it covers your back to your bottom and just under your boobies to your ... well you know lol. They are great and really smooth you out. What's even better is that they are a reasonable price point and you can get them at Walmart or Walmart online - fyi they do run a little small. I wear them under almost everything now ... absolutely love them.

Edited: This one is $19.99

I agree with loving these products. I think the one that is described above is a bodysuit tank top type but there are tons out there. I dont recall the brand but the ones that macy's carry are awesome, a little pricey but they hold well for a few years. Ive had my same tank tops for 2+ yrs and it still very tight/strong and I wear one everyday.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    only when your wearing them! :bigsmile:

Exactly.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Not sure if it would help in the long run. I read a few articles last year that said to do a lot of exfoliation and moisturization to lessen the flabby skin (if that's all that it is)

Exfoliation????? There sure are a lot of layers I'll need to be exfoliating....

I did add some Shea butter, though.
  • auggies
    auggies Posts: 5
    I struggle with my belly fat flopping around while I'm doing Zumba and other "bouncy" aerobics. I'm finding that my muscles get pulled and sometimes cause me pain enough where I have to stop or not move as much. I'm wondering if these items would work for working out or would they restrict in other areas and make it harder to move?
  • bethiepoo30
    bethiepoo30 Posts: 16
    I wear compression shorts everyday. I don't have a ton of loose skin but just enough that the compression shorts help give me a little more confidence. Great for working out too.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    I wear a compression vest to support my stomach. I lose half and inch around my waist when using it.