600 cal per day with acupuncure????

Options
Hi Everyone,

my mom started an acupuncture cure (12 sessions) and the "doctor" instructed her to eat 600 cal per day. My mom lost like 6 kilos in two weeks, and looks fabulous, full of energy, and everything, but I am still worried, what is going on inside her body for real.
Because 600 cal is not enough for a living human being. Only lying on the bed consumes more that that!!!

Does anybody have experience with acupuncture???

thanx

Kata

Replies

• iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Sounds like (dunno if this is true) but the dude has said 'acupuncture helps you lose weight' and then slapped her on a lcd. Don't let her stay on 600kcal...if it's just for the duration of the acupuncture she'll be ok.
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    I have experience with acupuncture (even though I find a lot of homeopathic remedies to be suspect) but I was never instructed to eat 600 calories a day, so my experience does little good ... may I ask what she is trying to cure?
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the placebo effect to me. That's not necessarily a bad thing but obviously the 600 cal diet is bad.

People always try to find the quick route to do things. If they don't want to listen, then let them. That little high period will soon disappear and they'll realize one way or another it's not the way to go.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Short term 600 calories is fine. However, she needs learn what her maintenance is in order to keep it off.

Edit She should also be taking potassium supplements on a low cal diet.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Short term under medical supervision 600 cal diets are not unusual and are usually used in cases where the patient's health is at significant risk owing to their weight and getting some weight off fast is essential.

However, these are usually short term plans which should be followed by a more sensible calorie controlled diet. After an extended period of time on such a restrictve calorie diet the risks will outweigh the benefits. Most people would also be difficult to stick to 600 cals for a long time. Find out how long she is supposed to be sticking with it.
  • gekata
    gekata Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My mom is supposed to stick with it for a short term, for the time of the treatment. And she says she does not feel hunger due to the acupuncture.

So for short term it is o.k. with potassium supplements. got it.thanx, Everyone!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

my mom started an acupuncture cure (12 sessions) and the "doctor" instructed her to eat 600 cal per day. My mom lost like 6 kilos in two weeks, and looks fabulous, full of energy, and everything, but I am still worried, what is going on inside her body for real.
    Because 600 cal is not enough for a living human being. Only lying on the bed consumes more that that!!!

Does anybody have experience with acupuncture???

thanx

Kata

I hope she isn't paying for all this
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Holistic doctors are not actual doctors. They do not need to go to medical school - when discussing how the body functions and what it needs to survive, I would take someone whose trained.

600 calories a day is not a good idea. Needles in the skin, regardless of what particular centers it might be stimulating, is not a substitute for food. A toddler needs more than 600 a day.

You are an adult. Eat like one.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Yeah, whenever I talk to people who are in fantastic shape they start by telling me about how they had acupuncture and eat one sandwich a day and that's it.

Oh, wait. That's completely untrue. They actually tell me about how they eat reasonable quantities of food and work their butts off. Silly me.