Why exercise if you're just going to eat the calories back?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    I know my resting metabolic rate is about 1900 calories. This means to MAINTAIN my weight at my current activity level I have to eat 1900 calories. I, however, try to keep my daily intake to 1500 with lots of protein. I still don't always reach this amount. I eat very clean and it is hard to eat enough fruit and veggies to get to this. I FEEL good, am not lethargic and can finish my workouts without getting too fatigued. I would bet that those of you who are trying to only eat 1200 calories are NOT feeling as good as I am. The only reason I use MFP is to keep track of the food I eat and my work-outs and be able to correlate them with allergy flares and pain issues, if you want to safely cut back on calories, do a little research and set your own on here.
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Working out keeps your body healthy, not just skinny.
    It helps build muscle, flexibility and endurance so that you can do more things, and for longer, as you age. It helps regulate cholesterol and blood flow. (Thin non-exercises had LDL levels more like overweight people than like thin exercisers.)
    Thin people should work out so that they become 60 year olds who can still ride bikes, instead of 60 year olds with hypertension.

"Working out" doesn't necessarily mean going for a run every day, though. It just means being active.
  • bdoug1234
    bdoug1234 Posts: 28
    Options
    When you lose weight 10-20% is going to be muscle. When you hit 40 ish you are going to lose somewhere around 1% of your body weight of muscle per year.

Yo yo diet up and down and lose muscle that you never regain and then add 20 years does not look so good at 60 :)
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question in your very first sentence. The point is this: exercising improves your general health and fitness.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    Yeah, after long runs where i've burned 1500-2000+ calories I want to eat every small child, dog, and other animal I see on the way home until I actually get food in my system. Those days are beautiful...I get to eat twice as much as I normally would an still be at a calorie deficit for the day.

The entire point of exercising for many people is to earn those extra calories so it doesn't feel like "dieting" and it becomes a healthy lifestyle change.
  • kimberlycena
    Options
    You have added a link and so have a few others that I have not been able to access. When I search for the links they are expired. I am looking for this information...
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    MFP already has a calorie deficit programmed in, so if you eat the right number of calories and do no exercise, you lose weight

if you exercise and don't eat back your exercise calories, you can end up with a deficit that is too big, which can lead to all kinds of problems including: excessive hunger, binge eating, feeling tired all the time, feeling grumpy all the time, loss of lean muscle mass, loss of bone density, and if you keep it up for a long time, your metabolism can slow leading to your weight loss stalling.

The healthiest way to lose weight is slowly and steadily. Exercise helps to prevent loss of bone density and lean muscle mass, which can happen if you're sedentary even if your deficit is not extreme. Exercise has many, many other health benefits, although if you are not eating enough to support the amount of exercise you're doing, that can make your health worse, not better.

Also, change your focus from weight loss to fat loss... the human body can't burn that much fat in a week... big losses in scale weight are mostly not fat, they're mainly water and could be loss of lean muscle or bone density. And change your view of exercise... exercise is to keep your bones and muscles strong, and you need to eat enough to support the exercise, for it to work. The deficit you need for slow and steady fat loss is already built in to your MFP calorie target, so you will still lose weight while eating back exercise calories.

^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the replies, but someone may have said this already. It prepares you for maintenance. You will not be eating at a calorie deficit forever. For example, if your get to your goal and switch to maintenance, your calories will go to say 2,000. If you exercise and burn 500 calories and don't eat 2,500 calories you will continue to lose weight because you will only be netting 1,500 calories after the exercise. 2,000-500= 1,500
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If your net calorie goal for the day is below maintenance you'll still lose weight eating back exercise calories.

The extra exercise calories are so your body can continue to support intense activity and you won't feel weak the next exercise session.

For cardio it doesn't matter so much.
    But for weight training you want some of those extra calories so you can put on lean muscle mass during recovery - or at the very least hold onto the muscle you already have. You won't build anything if you're not eating enough.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    nutsbonkers. double post
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    If you're using MFP presets then it's because you did more work on the day you worked out and your body needs those calories for the extra work you did. It's already set to help you lose weight by eating fewer calories if you did nothing. That's why it asks you how active you are in general so it can choose a number that approximates how many calories you normally burn and then gives you a number minus some calories based on that, so that you will be eating fewer calories than you burn in a normal day.

Then when you workout though, you need more calories especially if you did not include any workouts in your "how many times do you plan to workout" part. You might be thinking okay so I'm gonna lose weight on the calorie number MFP gave me but now that I worked out and burned calories, I'm gonna lose more weight and faster...#winning! No, not really. All that's gonna happen is you're gonna end up tired and hungry. If not the same day maybe the next day. Some people end up bingeing this way at worst or at best just eating back ALL their calories even the subtracted ones for weight loss and then have problems actually achieving weight loss. You'll find them on these boards and on your newfeeds talking about excessive binges or just all "I don't know what happened to me, I ate so much today", or wondering why they aren't losing weight.

BTW I totally get the whole, oh once I've already eaten my regular calories I'm full and don't want to force feed myself. If you've ever noticed being hungrier the following day though, that might be a good time to make up those extra calories and enjoy eating a little more. It can still work if over the week you are averaging the right amount of "net" cals. It's almost like if the 24 hour day is an artificial contstruct imposed on our tangible bodies that don't necessarily adhere to that time frame for the adding and subtracting of calories and exercise and then fat, weight and muscles. It's almost like that.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    what is the point in working out for an hour say, burning 500 calories if you're then just going to eat the 500 calories back?

8928086701_d66ebb3687.jpg
  • SRB8710
    SRB8710 Posts: 90
    Options
    Since MFP already builds in a calorie deficit and you need a certain amount of calories just to function, you should eat back at least some of your exercise calories so that you're getting a net of at east 1200 calories per day.
    Personally, I use my exercise calories to allow myself to eat the things I want without increasing my net calories. For instance, on days I don't exercise I aim for around 1260 calories. Unfortunately though, that isn't enough calories to always keep me full and doesn't allow a lot of wiggle room to allow for calorie-rich favourite foods like frozen yogurt, spinach dip, or fancy coffees. So, if I want to indulge and have a 400 calorie iced caffè mocha, instead of sacrificing 400 calories of nutritional food, I can just burn 400 calories through exercise.

I do the same thing!!!! haha! :))
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Does that happen if you accidentally had two windows open?
  • Frelling_Tralk
    Frelling_Tralk Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    To tone up?
  • yogayug
    yogayug Posts: 15
    Options
    Working out fabricates muscle. Muscles require more calories to stay in their new condition, accordingly you smolder more calories indeed, when you are not practicing. It's a win scenario. http://www.yogayug.com