Boiled eggs as snacks - for weight loss?

Options
Hi,

I'm trying to up my protein in take ... I'm not a massive meat lover so I'm struggling slightly, even though I know you can get protein elsewhere, it just doesn't seem to be very high!

I've started eating 2 boiled eggs per day as a snack ... is this okay?! I know they're high in protein, but just wondered if they're a bit too high in fat / cholesteral to have every day??

I want to lose another 10 lbs roughly - I'm currently 157lbs, and would like to get down to around 147lbs. I'm exercising roughly 2-4 times per week depending on work etc as I travel alot, but I walk for an hour 5 days a week to and from work.

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks!

:-)

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Eating cholesterol doesn't actually increase your cholesterol. Eggs are a great, nutritious easy snack that come in their own wrapping. Eat away!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    so two eggs gives you 12 grams of protein and roughly 140 calories. Why not get a Protein powder which for that same 140 calories you would get around 26 grams of protein? But Eggs are delicious and if you like them do not stop eatting them.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've actually started eating hard boiled eggs more as well! My protein levels aren't terribly good.

As far as I understand, the cholesterol in eggs is the good kind. Also, as many people on here will tell you, eating fat won't make you fat. I've seen many diaries where people consume eggs everyday.

In other words, you're fine. Eggs certainly won't make you gain weight! Just stay within your desired calories!
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    so two eggs gives you 12 grams of protein and roughly 140 calories. Why not get a Protein powder which for that same 140 calories you would get around 26 grams of protein? But Eggs are delicious and if you like them do not stop eatting them.

I've tried protein powders but I'm allergic to dairy and I'm struggling to find soya based protein powder .... a couple of the shops where I live don't stock it! :-(
  • rougenoire
    rougenoire Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Eating a couple of eggs a day shoudl be fine, it's a bit of a myth that they increase your cholesterol levels but they can be quite high in fat anyway so best balanced out with some lower fat options too.

Alternative none meat sources of protein that I like include low fat greek yoghurt, have a read of the labels then can be quite high in protein. Tinned tuna or even mackerel and salmon depending on your preference. Fresh fish too. Quorn and soya products. I bought a bag of dried soy protein from holland and barret it looks a bit like cardboard and you rehydrate it with water before adding it to things. I'm not making it sound that appealing but in things like soups or stews it adds a bit of texture and relatively quite a lot of protein.
  • kalamitykate83
    Options
    Thanks all! :-) I thought as much but wanted reassurance! I find them filling too which is good!
  • kalamitykate83
    Options
    Eating a couple of eggs a day shoudl be fine, it's a bit of a myth that they increase your cholesterol levels but they can be quite high in fat anyway so best balanced out with some lower fat options too.

Alternative none meat sources of protein that I like include low fat greek yoghurt, have a read of the labels then can be quite high in protein. Tinned tuna or even mackerel and salmon depending on your preference. Fresh fish too. Quorn and soya products. I bought a bag of dried soy protein from holland and barret it looks a bit like cardboard and you rehydrate it with water before adding it to things. I'm not making it sound that appealing but in things like soups or stews it adds a bit of texture and relatively quite a lot of protein.

I eat quite alot of quorn based products, so don't worry it sounds appealing to me! lol it's more for snacks that I struggle as I eat fruit, but try and not eat loads of it cos of the high sugar content!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a superfood. Eat them.
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Eggs are wonderful. Full of all kinds of good things like protein, fat, vitamins. I eat at least two eggs a day and my lipids are better than they've been in years.

Also, if you're looking for non dairy based protein powder I had some from Vega Sport that was really good. A lot of the vegan protein powders I've had have been pretty nasty tasting but there are a few good ones. You may need to look online.

No, I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I like to try different protein powders.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Eggs are wonderful! It's tough since you're not a meat eater and can't do dairy... Try to get nuts, seeds, legumes (including edamame) and sprouts into your diet on a regular basis. You can also get protein from whole grains like barley and bulgar. I noticed recently that my oatmeal has a pretty good amount of protein (Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats - 7g of protein per serving) so make sure you're checking labels to see which products have more bang for the buck.

Good luck!
  • kalamitykate83
    Options
    Eggs are wonderful. Full of all kinds of good things like protein, fat, vitamins. I eat at least two eggs a day and my lipids are better than they've been in years.

Also, if you're looking for non dairy based protein powder I had some from Vega Sport that was really good. A lot of the vegan protein powders I've had have been pretty nasty tasting but there are a few good ones. You may need to look online.

No, I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I like to try different protein powders.

oh I'll look online for that powder, thanks!
  • VtheVixen
    VtheVixen Posts: 3
    Options
    Vixen's Boiled Egg Diet (My Own Diet)

http://youtu.be/pbpAdbsiFEc (YouTube Video) Proof It Works!!! Lost -14 lbs Since Starting!!

I'm doing what works for me, your more than welcome to try!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Eating cholesterol doesn't actually increase your cholesterol. Eggs are a great, nutritious easy snack that come in their own wrapping. Eat away!

yup.

i used to make a whole carton of hard boiled eggs for the week. need to start doing it again.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Zone Protein Bars....14g of protein each.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Or you can eat them without the yolk which is where most of the "bad" stuff is though I know not everyone loves just the egg whites. I hard boil a couple dozen eggs each weekend and have five without the yolk and one with.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

yup.

i used to make a whole carton of hard boiled eggs for the week. need to start doing it again.

^My wife and I do that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fine.

I'm not a huge meat eater so I also usually eat Greek yogurt and cottage cheese (12 grams of protein per serving of each). Nuts are good too, although the protein isn't as high (my cashews are 5 grams of protein per serving). I also try to pick veggies that have some protein like peas or lima beans.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    How allergic are you? I can't drink cows milk without my throat starting to close up, but I can handle whey protein. Have you tried whey? Apparently egg protein is good too.

Soya protein, hemp protein & pea protein are all gross for smoothies IMO, but work well in savoury stuff. I will sometimes blend spinach, protein powder & egg whites (or an egg and some extra whites - from a carton, I dont like waste) and then make them into pancakes or crepes (I use coconut oil or spray olive oil) which I stuff with cottage cheese (again, this doesn't kill me either & I can handle cheese & milk chocolate in small amounts - lucky me!) or humous, or salad, or tuna, or anything else I fancy eating.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm trying to up my protein in take ... I'm not a massive meat lover so I'm struggling slightly, even though I know you can get protein elsewhere, it just doesn't seem to be very high!

I've started eating 2 boiled eggs per day as a snack ... is this okay?! I know they're high in protein, but just wondered if they're a bit too high in fat / cholesteral to have every day??

I want to lose another 10 lbs roughly - I'm currently 157lbs, and would like to get down to around 147lbs. I'm exercising roughly 2-4 times per week depending on work etc as I travel alot, but I walk for an hour 5 days a week to and from work.

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks!

:-)

1) yes that's absolutely fine

2) if you're eating at a deficit you'll lose weight

3) we don't need as much protein as conventional wisdom tells us. 10-20% protein is all you actually need.
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    I eat 3 boiled egg whites a day mid morning and find that the little extra protein absolutely helps hold me over to lunch. I like the yokes just don't want the extra calories. Only thing is the odd looks I get buying so many cartons of eggs a week at the grocery store...lol My husband and daughter also eat them every day so we go through ALOT of eggs.

May start clucking soon.......