Modified Clean Creole Chicken and Okra "from cleaneating"

Options
Tme2change
Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
Here's another one, I modified it to suit our tastes however and didn't include the rice in the calories so I apologize but it turned out delicious anyway :-)
Olive oil cooking spray
4 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry, cut into bite-size pieces
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 cup diced onion
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
10 oz grape tomatoes, halved (2 cup)
1 cup fresh chopped or frozen cut okra (thawed, if frozen)
1 tsp dried thyme
4 dried bay leaves
2 tbsp Louisiana hot sauce (although I ended up using half a bottle of Tabasco)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided (didn't use any, didn't have

Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium high. Coat skillet with cooking spray, add chicken and cook for 2 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside on a separate plate.
Return skillet to medium-high and heat 1 tbsp oil. Add onion and pepper and cook for 4 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook for 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 cup water, tomatoes, okra, thyme and bay leaves. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until okra is just tender. Remove from heat, stir in hot sauce, salt, remaining 1 tbsp oil and 1/4 cup parsley. Add chicken, stir to blend, cover and let stand for 5 minutes to absorb flavors and heat chicken thoroughly.
Toss rice with remaining 1/4 cup parsley and serve chicken mixture over top.
per 1 cup serving:
Calories185 Carb 7 Fat 8 Protein 13 sugars 3

Replies

• lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Maybe I missed this, but how many servings is in a full recipe?
  • Tme2change
    Options
    I'm sorry you didn't it serves 8!
  • madpaddyjack
    madpaddyjack Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a facegasm waiting to happen. I'm totally going to make this.
  • Tme2change
    Options
    That sounds like a facegasm waiting to happen. I'm totally going to make this.
    OMG it totally was! My husband and son woofed it down, my daughter didn't because she didn't know what the okra was...but totally was off the charts
  • madpaddyjack
    madpaddyjack Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What about the recipe makes it "clean"? I keep seeing this term thrown around a lot.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    mmmhmm! sounds good!
  • Tme2change
    Options
    What about the recipe makes it "clean"? I keep seeing this term thrown around a lot.
    "Clean foods are natural, free of added sugars, hydrogenated fats, trans-fats and anything else that is unnatural and unnecessary."

ehow .com
    easiest way to put it.