mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
Starting...

Replies

• mechanicmom
    Options
    Happy Monday!

How is everyone this morning?

My back and shoulder are doing better this morning (still a little stiff or sore) so I will try push ups again and an upper body work out as long as it stays better. I'm down four pounds from a a few weeks ago. It's the same four pounds I've lost over and over again but I think I may actually keep it off this time. :smile: It's been great to realize that I've been eating too much sugar and that really I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. I still want it some times. When I do eat a lot of sugary things I tend to think about it all day long. I'm not doing that, so it's nice. I definitely still have moments of wishing I could eat whatever I want and not get fat, but that's still not healthy. The first few days of eating less, the stomach pangs really bothered me. I hadn't really let myself get hungry for a long time. Now it doesn't feel like I am going to die if my stomach growls. :laugh:
    It will also be nice to have a light week as far as activities go. I have a lot of cleaning to catch up on and other projects that I haven't finished.
    We have ten more days till we get news. Feels like an eternity but I know it will be here quickly. The last weeks has passed by quickly.
    Oh and we did go for a walk last night.
    Doing something everyday boogaloo!
    MM
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you're feeling better, MM.

Well the Elementary School Team is out of the competition, so we are now in 3rd place! We are 17 points away from 2nd place (almost 300 away from 1st, so that doesn't seem possible, unless they have a couple of team members break legs). I also joined the Solo challenge. I want to finish in the top 20. So today is: bike to two different libraries and to yoga (that's 6 trips!). I guess I'm going to have to get one thing at the store at a time for the next two weeks :tongue:

Competition, boogaloo!

ps: V, if you are still checking out Christina Sell's blog, click on the most recent you tube video, to see me and husband working on Rajakapotasana (full king pigeon pose at 1:48) (also, splits at 30 seconds, one legged mermaid version 3, though you can't see it at 1:30 - oh and the woman at 1:37 is practically a contortionist)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Morning pebbs,

I'm on the "doing something everyday boogaloo" bandwagon, too. I took about three days off from schoolwork last week (due to pouting, mostly) and that pretty much has to stop. My goal this week is to get at least an hour in every single day. I've done an hour already. I pretty much need to start organizing a plan of attack for the major project I want to finish by October...otherwise I'll just be trapped in a vortex of reading/listening/compiling, instead of having a vision of what the finished product should look like. I realize this is a life skill I'm not very good at. I'm very good at process, but product, not so much...So, it's planning and translating. I realized yesterday that I have exactly a month left to study for my translation exam. Yikes.:noway:

Oh, and for workouts, I'm aiming for the challenging yoga/pilates lady, followed by boxing. I took my first outside walk in my vibrams, and my legs are really aware today (not sore, but just a bit tender, noticing that something interesting happened.)

Plan of attack, boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi, Girls: Monday again. Nice weekend at the farm. Did a lot of reading - my favorite thing to do at the farm. Eating was ok, too. Little bit of exercise. Rainy day today. Almost got to go to court soaking wet because I was out at lunch when it started to rain, and no one had an umbrella with her.:noway: Fortunately, it quit raining hard, so I was able to get to the courthouse without getting soaked. I figured if I was good and wet, it would just show my dedication to my client. :laugh:

I still have the same goals: be reasonable in my eating and get some exercise in. Not exactly ambitious, but it's what I've got right now. If I can just maintain until I get motivated again, I will be very proud. I am excited that the neighborhood pool we join each summer is now open on the weekends and will be open full time for summer Memorial Day weekend. I'm hoping to spend time at the pool this weekend.

Swimming pool boogaoloo! :flowerforyou:

:heart:
    Bobbie
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I am still tired and overworked, but I did have a nice weekend (despite working on Sunday). We hung out with friends and kids outside, and then went hiking yesterday. Saturday was a little chilly, but Sunday was drop-dead gorgeous. :tongue:

Considering how much I was working, I did pretty well on eating last week. The only time I really went overboard was when I was at work on Sunday afternoon/evening and knew I had a long time before I could go home and get dinner, and so I got a giant package of Nutter Butters from the vending machine. :blushing: Sigh. There is never anything worth eating from a vending machine, is there? And Saturday was interesting - due to a combination of circumstances, I had way more protein throughout the day than I usually have, all before 6:30pm. I was shocked to realize that I stayed full for the rest of the night! So I am considering whether I want to try and increase my protein intake at all. I usually don't like a lot of protein because it makes me feel heavy (I digest slowly), but since it was spread throughout the day in reasonable amounts it didn't end up causing that feeling. I probably won't bother trying to change too much because it's too much to plan, but I still thought it was interesting. Even though I didn't have a really good dessert last week, I still plan on no more until the weekend.

Exercise is still not really happening, other than walking. Sigh. MM, glad your back is feeling better - good luck with the pushups! I will plan to do them tomorrow. Dance tomorrow, too - we are doing a routine with a veil (really a giant scarf) so it is actually a pretty good arm workout. At least it's something!
    I'll just be trapped in a vortex of reading/listening/compiling, instead of having a vision of what the finished product should look like. I realize this is a life skill I'm not very good at. I'm very good at process, but product, not so much...
    We have so much in common, V! I am the same way.

Glad you didn't get too soaked, Bobbie. And go, Mary, go!

Worn out and it's only Monday, boogaloo. :ohwell:
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Mary, congrats on getting into third place! When is the competition over?
    V, how was your work out yesterday?
    Bobbi, stay dry today!:wink: And hang in there. Motivation will come back. It's good that you are at least maintaining.
    CP! Glad to see you again! :happy: How was dance class? Since I quit eating as much I have been eating a lot more protein to keep me fuller. It definitely helps! Mmmm, nutter butters. I had a couple of Alex's gluten free pancakes the other day with peanut butter and agave nectar and that's what it reminded me of, without the chocolate of course. :wink:
    I did taebo buns yesterday (minus the back exercises since they aggravate my lower back), and push ups. Well, girly push ups. I have really lost my upper body strength from a year ago. Level two girly push ups. :ohwell: Back seems to be okay so far.
    Today is a nice day at home. It's nice to have a couple of days that I don't have to go anywhere. I am going to work in the yard, raking, pulling weeds and planting flowers. If I have time I am going to clean out Alex's inflatable pool and get that ready for the summer. I also have some cleaning to do in the house. I didn't get much done yesterday. We'll see if my energy holds out today. I've been feeling low in the afternoons.
    Oh we did our homestudy update yesterday. It took 15 minutes and it was all yes or no questions, so it was easy. Glad that's done. 9 more days.
    Thankful we have had an actual Spring this year boogaloo!
    MM
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I was thinking that I have tons of time to get ready for my bookclub next week - then I read MM's post about gardening - I guess I forgot that part - yep, needs to be done - and it's hot and humid.

I enjoy it when everyone post - keep it up!

The commuter challenge ends on May 31st. I now in the solo challenge as well - I'm in 13th place (out of about 50 people). I'm sure I ticked some people off by joining 1/2 way through with already so many trips. I got caught at yoga yesterday. Turns out I could have made it home, but the thunderstorm was a little scary.

Today - bike to store & teach yoga.

Hot and Humid, boogaloo.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Hi pebbs,

I just got back from ordering an ergonomic work/desk chair. I've been having major back/neck/shoulder pain, and I've spent a little money here and there about five times in five years looking for the perfect chair. I finally decided to bite the bullet and spend five years of money at once. I'm excited, but broke. It's getting custom made for me. Yikes, but it's my birthday/anniversary present from my husband. (as I spend 8-10 hours at my desk a day, this is way more romantic than it sounds.)

I've not been feeling too well, and I'm a bit frustrated. I made it through the yoga/pilates class, but decided to leave the gym early and not stay for boxing, as I felt, well, pukey. I've been cranky about it all day. I've still been getting vertigo, and don't really know why. I don't want to go back to the doc. again...I mean, seriously, when your doc. recognizes you at Starbucks, you go too often. :tongue: I just want it to go away. I think it may be some inner-ear something. I took some allergy meds and a decongestant and it's a bit better. I also poured some warm olive oil and oregano oil in there. If nothing else, I'll smell like a lovely salad.

I'm hoping to get some cardio in this afternoon, and maybe try a restorative yoga practice tonight. (laying down and stretching sounds like the thing.)

On the upside, the weather is fabulous and in 4-5 weeks I'll have a fancy chair.

Dizzy girl, boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    You poured oil in your ear? Sorry you aren't feeling top notch, V. The chair sounds cool. And - happy birthday!!! :happy: :flowerforyou:

Yay, MM, for starting your pushups again! The strength will come back. I can never do much gardening in the spring because of my allergies - so usually by the time I get to it the weeds are out of control. This year I probably won't get to it at all. My husband helped out a lot by pruning the bushes and transplanting some bulbs that magically appeared in the middle of the lawn (I blame the squirrels). And he planted some sunflowers for me while I was gone. :love: We are seriously talking about re-doing our kitchen this summer, which is exciting and super scary. I'm always afraid of making things worse, so I often find it easier to do nothing. Appearance-wise, it would be impossible to make our kitchen worse :noway: , but I don't want to inadvertently re-arrange things so that it becomes a pain to use.

Dance class was pretty good - good arm and shoulder work holding up the veil. AND, it was the teacher's 40th birthday recently, so one of the students brought cupcakes. I hadn't planned on any desserts until the weekend, but a cupcake was what I had been thinking... so I went ahead and had one. They looked and tasted delicious - dark chocolate with Kahlua frosting. I was very impressed and it was totally worth being my dessert for the week! :smooched:

The interesting thing about PT is that it sometimes gets worse before it gets better. Last week I started stretching and it seemed like my ankle hurt more. (She said I was probably stretching too far.) Now she is having me practice balancing on one foot to work my ankle. I practiced last night for 30 seconds with my eyes closed (harder than it sounds!), and man - my ankle is sore today. It doesn't seem like 30 seconds should be that long! :grumble: So I'm icing as I type today. When do I get to run? Thank goodness for my daily walks.

I love thunderstorms, Mary - but I wouldn't want to bike in one.

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work I go, boogaloo.
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    V, the chair sounds nice! I hope it works great for you.
    Mary, 13th out for 50 people is great! Keep it up!
    CP and Bobbi, how are you ladies today?

I worked in the yard for 3 1/2 hour yesterday and I am still not completely done! But my back was screaming at me last night (it's only yelling this morning), so I don't think I will work out there again today. That's unfortunate because I actually want to. But I'd like to also be able to function today and tomorrow. Maybe I can work on it again tomorrow if I take today off.

Today is cleaning (since I keep neglecting it do to more fun things), play with Alex, and try to go for a much needed walk. And church tonight.

I don't like drinking water for breakfast, but juice is full of sugar and carbs. I don't drink coffee and can't drink milk straight. Do you all have any suggestions? I really like fruit juice but that could be one of the reasons the weight has not been coming off...along with all the other sugar I've been taking in. I try to get juice that's 100% juice, no sugar added, but that doesn't help.

8 more days to go boogaloo!
    MM
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    CP, you posted about the same time I did so missed it. I know what you mean about having things "planted" in your yard by little creatures! While cleaning out the front yard over the last couple of weeks I pulled out about 20 little pecan trees seedlings and a bunch of buried pecans! There's not even a pecan street on our little street! DH didn't believe that I had found pecans in our yard.
    I may have to try that ankle exercise you are doing. I don't have very strong ankles.
    Glad to see you posting more! :)
    MM
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Happy Birthday V! Hope you feel better.

MM - what about herbal iced tea? There are tons of flavors to choose from and 0 calories.

We never redo anything. We are not that inclined.

Today: hmmm, bike and yoga, perhaps? I am debating about biking down to this farm stand that opens in about an hour, but it would be a very challenging bike ride. I also don't like two of the roads I would have to go on. So instead, I will probably bike in the heat of the day to go to the farmer's market near me. This is the day I take stock of what they have, so I can decide on next Thursday's dinner.

Better get moving, boogaloo!
  • Bobbie145
    Options
    I gotta get a handle on this.:angry: I feel the eating creeping up and the exercise not being near enough. :huh: I have got to get going again. Maybe I'll start my Y membership up again. It has been two months away. Since I'm not going into the office so much this summer and I can leave the boys for a little bit at the pool and also because I can actually work out later in the morning for me but before my husband goes to work, I could and would get going again. At least I'm thinking about it. That's probably a good sign in and of itself.:smile:

Finished up two cases today. One was a shoplifting, and the other was a DUI. So, I get to bill those out. I have a DUI case on the trial calendar next week. Not sure what's going to happen with that one. Still trying to get it worked out. Tomorrow morning I'm covering a legitimation for another attorney who's a buddy of mine. I've never done one of those. All of the work has been done, and my friend has told me what to expect. I have a juvenile case in the afternoon. I still need to get all of the info on that case. Hopefully it will be on my fax machine when I get to the office in the morning.

I took some clothes to a consignment shop today. Freed up a little space in my closet and will hopefully get a few dollars for my efforts in a few weeks.

Gotta get going, boogaloo!:flowerforyou:

Bobbie
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Morning pebbs,

Had a pretty good birthday. The celebration continues today with a lovely dinner out at my favorite dinner restaurant. We went to my favorite lunch restaurant yesterday, as my husband had to work last night. Also, I did a double work out yesterday, hooray! I feel less wobbly lately, I think I've discovered the proper medication combo...fingers crossed that the vertigo was due to congestion affecting my inner ear/balance stuff.

Today, I'm planning on a noon Zumba, and then maybe a walk, and then a fancy-pants meal. I was supposed to go to campus today, but that got canceled, so yay! One less thing.

Also, the store I bought/ordered my new chair from brought over a loaner chair for me. So cool! It's not as fancy as the one I bought, but it's sooooo much better than the one I was using (I would literally get up from my desk and not be able to stand up straight, as my lower back was so stiff/in pain.) That has gone away...but my neck and shoulders are still pretty achey. It may be time for a visit to the massage therapist. (the mean, super-firm pressure, muscle release lady).

Oh, and CP "poured" may have been a strong word. It's a folk remedy that my grandma used to do for earaches, about a teaspoon of warm olive oil, a drop of oregano oil and then you stuff a cotton ball in. I'm pretty sure it's soothing because it's warm, antiseptic because of the oregano, and most of it comes out on the cotton ball. I asked the doc about it, and he said "why not..." It really does help, but it makes you crave pizza. :tongue: My grandma was the queen of the voodoo home remedy...some of which actually have some medical merit, I'm sure...

Hope you all have a great day with lots of good stuff in it.

Good stuff, boogaloo.:flowerforyou:

Also, mindful eating challenge recap blog boogaloo. (I just almost typed "bloogaloo")
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Bobbie, I think going back to the Y might be a good idea. It may just be the motivation you need. :flowerforyou:
    V, that's really cool about the chair. I am glad you are feeling better today.

I have lots of news. Some good, some not good. I'll try to keep it short. We have been thinking about camping this weekend some where not too far away, less than five hours, but the places we wanted to go were full because we waited till the last minute. I called DH yesterday at 4:30 to see if he'd thought up anything. He had. We are leaving for Carlsbad NM tonight! It's an eight hour drive. We're staying at another park tonight and finishing the drive tomorrow. We'll be back on Sunday. So I was busy making a grocery list and a trip list in one hour before church. I have cooking, cleaning, shopping, and packing all to get done before four. Yikes! It will be fun. I haven't really been out "west" before or around any desert. We need to do something. Reality is getting to us.
    I was at church, and before service started I got a call from my sister. She found out our dad had a stroke last week. He lives in Nebraska and I haven't seen him in two years. I talk to him about once a month. Last week was his b-day and I should have called but I didn't. So when the pastor asked for prayer requests at church I broke down crying...again. The second week in a row I've cried at church. I guess it made me realize that my parents aren't in their 30's anymore (I am) and that they may not be around a lot longer. I am going to call him today. According to my sis, the docs messed up his medication and that's why he had the stroke. I am praying for a full recovery for him.
    So that's all I needed was more bad news. Feeling a little bit like Job in the Bible. Not liking it.
    No work out today as far as a DVD goes. I am going to be running around enough as it is. Pretty sure I am going to have sweets this weekend, as in granola bars and muffins for breakfast (no grill or anything at one of the parks). I will try not to over do it. I have done really well. I'd hate to mess it up.
    Thanks for reading. I know it's long.
    Wanting off this roller coaster of emotions boogaloo!
    MM
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Have fun in Carsbad - see the Caverns, so awesome! and cool. Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Today - rock climbing! Yeah! My wrist hurts, but I think it will be ok. We'll see. Also: teach yoga and bike a few errands. Should probably do some yard work soon as well.

Rock climbing, boogaloo!
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Update on my day:
    I have cleaned, packed, baked, shopped etc. I think I have probably burned about 500-650 calories today. :tongue: I am beat! And AF decided to join us. :grumble: I hope it doesn't get really bad.
    I talked to my dad and he sounds good. He said he is thankful that he feels so good right now. He's just wiped out from the medicine he's on. The doc said everything looks good as far as his arteries and blood work. He did have a spot show up on his MRI and they will discuss that with him on the 27th. (same day as our news). So it is good news. It was good to talk to him. :smile:
    Alright, break is over. We leave in less than an hour I think.
    MM
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Rock climbing was lots of fun. I need to do that again soon. It's under $10 for the hour, which I hope to do next time. We just did the 1/2 hour, because I knew we would get tired. It seemed to help my "mouse" wrist too. I think being off the computer didn't hurt either. Might consider it next week as well, as school will be letting out soon and we want to avoid the kids as much as possible.

Today: teach double yoga and bike. I have two errands I can do this morning and at least one this afternoon. My goal is over 100 trips (or 50 errands) for the month. I'm at 75 and really only have 7 days left (since I'll be gone for two days).

Sore forearms, boogaloo!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Morning pebbs,

Just finished yoga at home. Slept in and didn't get up in time to properly caffienate before gym yoga. I'm really enjoying the new yoga DVD. Other than that, if it doesn't rain, I may try for a walk. I'm trying to get a workable challenging yet not too crazy workout schedule developed. It's tricky for me. I hate it when (like right now, due to allergies) I'm not super high energy (or at least high energy). I still would like to be harder and smaller. I have developed two pretty simple nutrition/fitness goals. 1. Eat more fruits and vegetables. I keep turning to dairy and meat and nuts and the occasional grainy thing. I may need to bribe myself with cutting up veggies en masse and buying/making some hummus. Lately, if it's not immediately edible, I haven't been snacking on it.

2. Get some sort of cardio every single day. Even if it's just a walk. I've made peace with the idea that cardio is where I probably create any calorie deficit I have. Also, I think it's vital to my joints to keep moving. I don't think this one will be too hard. The only trick will be finding cardio on light days if it rains, but I have lots of not that hard cardio DVDs and my gym is literally a one minute walk from the house (I checked Wednesday) so, no excuses there.

That's it. And the continuing to eat consciously. I went to the movies yesterday, and ate too many peanut M&Ms in a rare moment of processed food weakness. A tummy ache ensued. Have you noticed the size of candy packages at the movies? It's crazy. I made the statement that it would be like a bar serving vodka in a 16 oz glass. Irresponsible. I like candy at the movies on rare occasions, but in the future I'm buying ahead and bringing the big purse (bonus: better quality candy).

I have wanted to try rock climbing, Mary...sort of a double whammy of working on the whole fear of heights thing and a workout.

Bobbie, I didn't say it yesterday, but I think that your impulse to re-join the Y is a good one. I find that it's very valuable to know the people at the gym and feel a bit like you'll be missed if you don't go...also there's no substitute for getting out of the house.:wink:

Buy some darn veggies, boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • Bobbie145
    Options
    Hi, Girls! So sorry to hear about your dad, MM, but glad to hear he is doing better and should be ok.

I rejoined my Y and went to Zumba this morning. Feeling better already! It was good to see my buddies and good to be back. Thanks for your encouragement!:flowerforyou: Think I'll go to Zumba again in the morning before we head to the pool.:drinker:

Have a great weekend. Talk to you tomorrow or soon!

Bobbie