Do you hold a water bottle when you run?

Options

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ^^^I like this answer! I'm a little off-put by the "you don't need water for a run less than <blank>". Everyone's different. I haven't started running outdoors yet because I'm fine on my treadmill, but it's not for everybody. However, I drink anywhere from 16-64 oz during a 95m session. Just for giggles, I tried a 70+m session without any water whatsoever and took before/after weight. I sweat so profusely, even with a fan right in front of me, that I lost more than 7lbs! I already have issues where my BP can drop very low even when properly hydrated and this one test made it wayyy worse, so I've never done another session without at least 28 oz in reach. Several times since then I've taken before/after weights while holding the water bottle to see net change regardless of water intake. On average, I still lose up to 2 lbs even when I drink a lot of water.

In summary to the OP, do what works for you.

Actually, we are all the same from a physiological perspective. And it's from this perspective that I'm coming when I make the statement that you don't "need" water during a exercise bout of x minutes. I have no problem if someone want's to drink water when they run. Go for it. Drink away. My goal is to educate so that people aren't under the impression that they need to drink or they will die. Hydration doesn't improve performance and lack of hydration doesn't decrease performance nor increase risk of heat exhaustion (this is a function of working harder than the body is capable of. Usually the body slows you down, but some people are able to overcome the body's defense mechanism and run through the "slow down" signals, which results in collapse from heat exhaustion).
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You have gotten some helpful advice here - just try out different things and see what works for you. As for needing water/not needing water - do what works for you - not what works for someone else.

I personally do not take water on runs less than eight miles. I barely drink anything even on longer runs, so I might be ok. I know I should not NEED water or food during my half marathons - I don't get hungry and rarely get thirsty, and it takes me anywhere from 1hr 50 minutes to just under two hours. For some reason though my body does not do great and I get awful headaches and dizzy to the point of not being able to see in front of me before the end of most/all of my half marathons. Then at the end I'm nauseous. So I'm not sure what the deal is or what my body is telling me it needs. You just have to learn what works for you body.

For the times I do carry water - I use the 10 oz ones that some people were talking about - has a strap around my hand and fits into my hand. Not a perfect solution, but it works for me.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I never bring water but my longest runs right now are 50 mins. I stretch then drink 16 ounces of water after my runs.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For distance people, has anyone successfully gotten a GU down their throats without water? Just curious...heard it could be done, not trying to find out personally.

yep.

I thought you were supposed to take water with it. I tried out GU on my last long run and was fine getting it down without water, but drank water with it. I like the chews but then I need water. My mouth gets all sour (I don't know how to describe it) and I feel like I have to rinse it when I have the chews. I think I prefer the GU gel.

I don't know what you're "supposed" to do. Guy asked if anyone had been able to suck it down. I've done it, several times, as they've been provided by a handful of races I've done. I don't prefer them, but I'll take em if they are being handed out at mile 12.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have a water bottle with a handle and pocket (like most people have mentioned).

At first, it was awkward to carry and I hated it, but now I've gotten used to it and I take it on all of my longer runs.

Just keep trying it and it won't be so bad after awhile.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    It says take with water, i just know a few runners who don't. I'm sure its fine 99% of the time, but i just imagine at some point it'll get stuck in your throat and ruin your day
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    For distance people, has anyone successfully gotten a GU down their throats without water? Just curious...heard it could be done, not trying to find out personally.

My solution, after a bit of practice, is take it in very small doses. I can keep up my pace and get a little relief from the snack. I thought the idea of chocolate gel was pretty gross, but now i love that little chocolate pack of goodness. I tried to be a he-man and choke down in one shot, but I could barely breath and slow down quite a bit as result. I probably take it in 4 to 6 bites, which works for me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It says take with water, i just know a few runners who don't. I'm sure its fine 99% of the time, but i just imagine at some point it'll get stuck in your throat and ruin your day

Na, it's fine... just makes me thirsty after 3 or 4 of them.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

For races, I use Hammer Gels which aren't quite as thick as Gu. They go down a lot better.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

yep.

I thought you were supposed to take water with it. I tried out GU on my last long run and was fine getting it down without water, but drank water with it. I like the chews but then I need water. My mouth gets all sour (I don't know how to describe it) and I feel like I have to rinse it when I have the chews. I think I prefer the GU gel.

I don't know what you're "supposed" to do. Guy asked if anyone had been able to suck it down. I've done it, several times, as they've been provided by a handful of races I've done. I don't prefer them, but I'll take em if they are being handed out at mile 12.

I was just curious if there was a reason to do it one way or the other. I've just begun experimenting.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Also after a while your body gets conditioned to use the fuel it has more efficiently. I used to guzzle down probably at least 64 ozs of water when I ran on the tread mill, easily accessable. Now that I run outside until July August timeframe I do not find a need to have any water on my runs. I run for one hour which for me is about 8 miles just for referance. But there is a drinking fountain at about my halfway point if I feel the need along with bathrooms.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    When I was first training for my first 5K, I needed it. It think I was working harder, breathing harder, not used to the elements. I did loops passing my driveway and put a cup of water in the mailbox (away from times when I expected mail to run). I found that just knowing it was there helped. Eventually, I found that I didn't need to stop as much, or not at all. Do what you need and feel comfortable with, and don't invest too much because you may outgrow that need.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    It is more mental than physical but my mouth gets really dry (I breath through my mouth when I'm running).

gum.

^^This^^ =)
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    No...I have invented a device that converts blood to pure drinking water so I start an IV and recycle it throughout my system. Patent pending, but I am looking for Beta Testers.
  • JoanB5
    Options

Actually, we are all the same from a physiological perspective. And it's from this perspective that I'm coming when I make the statement that you don't "need" water during a exercise bout of x minutes. I have no problem if someone want's to drink water when they run. Go for it. Drink away. My goal is to educate so that people aren't under the impression that they need to drink or they will die. Hydration doesn't improve performance and lack of hydration doesn't decrease performance nor increase risk of heat exhaustion (this is a function of working harder than the body is capable of. Usually the body slows you down, but some people are able to overcome the body's defense mechanism and run through the "slow down" signals, which results in collapse from heat exhaustion).

Healthy people are. True. Personally, I have heart rate rhythm issues if I get dehydrated. Can't run too early in the morning because of it. Have to watch heat, make sure I'm fed and watered. Quite a few people I know get skipping hearts with dehydration. It's not that rare. So, listen to a ton of advice, "Know Thyself" and mainly, just keep running. Do what works!
  • JoanB5
    Options
    There is a specific technique to use when grabbing water during a race. Being able to use this technique depends on two things.

1. Must be a paper cup. Not Styrofoam or plastic.
    2. Volunteer must be holding the cup from the bottom.

When you grab for the cup, make sure you put at least one finger inside the cup. When you have it in your grasp, immediately pinch the top closed to keep the water in. Then drink from the little opening that you created by pinching the cup closed. This may require you to turn your head to the side.

It takes practice, but it works.

It was a paper cup but I didn't grab it like you described. and just crushed the cup and then overcompensated and lost it. Putting a finger in the cup sounds like a great plan. Great advice. I have one more 5k before this half. I'll see if I can get it down this time. I think I'll still wear that 12 oz belt but it would be nice to be able to grab an extra sip if I want it towards the end.

This is an epic idea. THANKS! I just end up squirting the water all over myself while grabbing it and not ever getting a drink. LOL
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The general public has been fooled into thinking that they NEED to have fluids during exercise, when the reality is that the body is designed to dehydrate during work bouts and then to replenish itself afterward, usually at meal time.

I agree 100%. I lose 2-3 pounds during a typical morning workout within an hour's time. I feel perfectly fine and I just drink plenty after I'm done. I think the water I'm taking on these longer 10+ mile runs is almost more of a mental boost than anything. One of these Cliff energy gels and 6 oz. of water feels just perfect in my stomach and I like to think it's helping. I know that 12 oz. of water (both bottles on the belt) aren't compensating for the near half gallon of water I'm losing during the run but it keeps my mouth from getting dry and the mocha flavored gels are a tasty distraction. To me it's just enough to help with absorption of the energy gels. I don't see it as hydration for refilling what I'm sweating. I would need to carry a Camel Back for that
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    EDIT: I tried grabbing a water cup during the 5k this weekend just for practice and totally failed. I squeezed half the water out of the cup and then the cup slipped out of my hand and fell to the ground. Blame it on a bad hand-off from the race volunteer but that sort of confirmed that I might carry this with me when I do this half even if there is water at the race. I don't want to depend on other people for water.

There is a specific technique to use when grabbing water during a race. Being able to use this technique depends on two things.

1. Must be a paper cup. Not Styrofoam or plastic.
    2. Volunteer must be holding the cup from the bottom.

When you grab for the cup, make sure you put at least one finger inside the cup. When you have it in your grasp, immediately pinch the top closed to keep the water in. Then drink from the little opening that you created by pinching the cup closed. This may require you to turn your head to the side.

It takes practice, but it works.

Thanks for the tip...
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    When I was first training for my first 5K, I needed it. It think I was working harder, breathing harder, not used to the elements. I did loops passing my driveway and put a cup of water in the mailbox (away from times when I expected mail to run). I found that just knowing it was there helped. Eventually, I found that I didn't need to stop as much, or not at all. Do what you need and feel comfortable with, and don't invest too much because you may outgrow that need.

This is me. Having never been a runner (and having about 6 months off from regular workouts due to some surgery and then winter blahs), I need that little sip after each run segment to feel ready to tackle the next run segment. Maybe once I'm more conditioned to running it won't be such a necessity for me. Man, I can't wait for that day! :wink: Maybe my body doesn't need it to survive, but *I* need it to successfully complete my run.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I can't run, but do brisk walks for an hour or better frequently. I carry my water in a waist belt along with my pistol, cell phone and mp3 (which only goes into 1 ear).