How many calories in strained yogurt

Options
I buy a large container of plain yogurt then strain it for at least 24 hours. There is then just about two cups of thick yogurt.

My question is:

If I measure out a half cup of yogurt would I then log the calories for a full cup? Is the liquid that drains out just water so it shouldn't change the calorie count of the actual yogurt? If the liquid isn't water would it have calories in it thereby not changing the calorie count?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• twopennygal
    Options
    I make my own yogurt and strain it and I just went through an arduous procedure to figure out the nutrient values of my strained yogurt. However, it turns out that straining the yogurt doesn't take out that much: Mostly it takes out about half the sugar and very little protein -- that's the main reason Greek yogurt is better for you. Here's a link to whey on the USDA database -- http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/100?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=whey. What you should do is measure the amount of whey you have left after straining your yogurt, look it up on the web, and subtract the values of the whey from the original values of your yogurt. I'm going to be posting my recipes and values for the yogurt I make soon (I'm new here). But I make either whole milk or enriched milk (milk with added cream) yogurt. It's much tastier and much healthier for you. Keep in mind that volume to volume (one tablespoon versus one tablespoon), strained yogurt badically has about two-thirds more calories than unstrained yogurt.