Hourglassed shaped women report!

Options
13»

Replies

• fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You're right! The fat leaves where it chooses to leave and I'm happy that it chosed to leave my middle section for now! LOL

This is so true. I wish all those"Banish your belly fat now!" "Whittle those arms for summer" really did work. Good overall exercises though.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I only do strength training and just watch my diet - that seems to work great for me.

Check out my most recent before/after: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151651113497158&set=t.512397157&type=3&theater
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm naturally hour glassed shaped... heavy or not... but i'm working towards a fit hour glass shape rather than a plump one :p but as far as the legs/thighs, their there to stay, but the goal is to flip that fat to muscle which can be done with heavy lifting :) As for the "girls" (part of that hour glass figure) my goal is to use heavy lifting to lift them up and make them a little happier ;) Love your natural shape :)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    "What do you guys do"

we get fat on the gut and handles and the rest of the body stays fat free so i dont think we ll be much help !!!

Not sure how many " hour glass" glass ladies will turn up on a diet forum !!!

Yikes. Ermmm...well anyway, I have an hour glass figure just too much of one for my liking. I'm here and still working on it...so bumperoo!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and hourglass. A mix of cardio, strength training, reasonable deficit, and patience will get you where you want to be. Pick whatever cardio and strength training you enjoy so you stay consistent. As your bodyfat % drops, so will the fat from those "trouble spots".

I currently enjoy running and follow Strong Lifts 5x5 for strength training. I do each 3 days a week (alternating days). It's making a big difference in how I look.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think of my thighs as my trouble spot. My thighs aren't big, but they are bigger for my small size. I don't have skinny legs. But, I just work on the muscle by following the Strong Curves Program by Bret Contreras. I like keeping my legs and booty muscular, it's the best way to maintain my youthful shape and fitness. I also do not gain weight in my waist/belly/mid section, and when I lose I can get very very slim in the waist (23 inches right now) and have visible abs, even when I still have a shapely booty and thighs. I just embrace my shape and appreciate it. I don't try to have a figure that isn't mine (otherwise I would get way too slim on my slimmer areas). Nothing wrong with having some curves. I just work on keeping them firm and muscular through my fitness. People are posting height, so I'm petite.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

This is a fitness forum.

And all shaped ladies can gain weight or get out of shape. Or just want to maintain and improve fitness levels at all ages.
  • katgirl007
    Options
    I am built this way as well, I am 5'4" and 3 weeks ago had a 14" difference waist to hips, I haven't measured recently.

I like exercising and being active but my thigh fat was pretty stubborn.

I lost all of it in the last two months. Here is what I did

I started to work out once a day 5-6 days a week 30min-2hrs whatever I had time for, I do a large variety of things to work out from weights to Zumba to running to climbing to swimming to hot yoga, it doesn't seem to be a big deal what it is but that I put a lot of effort into what I'm doing and not just "get through it", if that makes sense.

Then I went to a 1200 cal diet and stopped eating sugars and ate mostly vegetables and lost some of my thigh fat (I was never hungry, I was always full and had trouble getting my 1200 in)

Next under the direction of a nutritionist I switched to 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. When I made the switch to higher fat/protein it dropped off very fast, I could see a change in a couple weeks and I have always been what people call in good shape.

I struggle with blood sugar swings (not diabetic but reactive hypoglycemia) and tiredness and the diet of high veggies, protein and fat has helped that too.

Hopefully that's helpful.

On the bright side, men love the curves and I have learned after many years to love them too. I used to hate my body due to my legs and thighs. I am thankful now that I will always have curves and look female from every side no matter how much thigh fat I drop! :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    "What do you guys do"

we get fat on the gut and handles and the rest of the body stays fat free so i dont think we ll be much help !!!

<<<< Um.... hourglass! :tongue:

<<<<<Um hourglass too! Reporting for duty! :tongue:

Yeah I am actually letting myself build muscle on my thighs on purpose since I know I get muscles there fast and just want more muscle than fat fast. From years of experience of all kinds, I know that jumpin repeatedly like for instance cheer, builds up your thighs. Dance can too depending on the type. Stretching slims them down. At least that's how it works for me. So do pilates and yoga especially the pilates on the machines. Pretty much anything where you stretch lets them have a leaner appearance. Also I lost weight on my belly first and now its time for everything else to catch up. Sorry you had a naysayer right out of the gate, but I do get what you're saying, thighs don't come off easy, but for me that's okay.
  • zinonya
    zinonya Posts: 3
    Options
    For me, I've done running and sometimes with an incline becausw it will help Brun the fat there and you'll muscle instead. I've also done cardio classes unlike other people have said lunges and squats help a lot too.
  • whipsmart10014
    Options
    Those long, lithe legs seen on fashion models are almost impossible for us hour-glass women to attain - even those of us over 5'8". Models are typically apple or banana/ruler shaped women with very low body fat percentages (<18%).

However, I have discovered that doing an interval-style weight training circuit which gets your heart pumping (think squats/lunges/step-ups/high-incline walking combined with lifting heavy weights) is a LOT more effective than straight-up cardio when it comes to achieving great-looking thighs.

Initially the inches will come off your waist (of course!), but soon enough you'll see your thighs and rear-end shaping up as well. We hourglass ladies may never achieve the "gap between the thighs" look seen in magazines, but it doesn't mean our legs can't look very VERY good. ;)
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I love my legs in general ever since I began long distance running.
    It's the best thing for them in my opinion and personal experience.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Running OUTSIDE! That is the best way to reduce your hips, thighs, and core (even my doctor says so).

Also- go buy some real running shoes. They are expensive, but they will minimize the impact on your body and help you run further without pain.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Running outside, barbell squats etc in the gym, low body fat or thighs will bulk!
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I walk on an incline on the treadmill, squats, lunges, deadlifts, and weighted hip thrusts for my lower body; pushups, bent-over barbell rows, overhead press, bench press, and lat pull downs for my upper body. I'm planning on starting to incorporate pullups soon, but I'm just not strong enough yet. It's still very slow going for me...inches-wise, I've lost proportionally more in my waist than in my hips/butt and chest. A blessing and a curse. I'm hoping at some point my body will decide it has whittled away enough on the waist and will concentrate more on the lower half, but it's being very stubborn about that.