Fitbit VS Bodymedia Fit

Options
1235»

Replies

• kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Almost every time this question comes up (and it's fairly often), it seems most people agree that Fitbit is the way to go. I have a Fitbit One (had it almost a year) and I love it!

When I see this question, I often refer people to this article that I stumbled across earlier this year.
    http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Just got my BodyMedia Link late last week. My wife has had her's since May. She loves hers, and I've yet to find anything to not like.
    My normal wear at work is business casual. No one has noticed this thing on my arm, but I have been showing it to lots of people, so maybe it is that the people who would have noticed it already had me showing it to them.
    Yes, it leaves an indent. About as much of one as my socks and underwear do when I take them off at the end of the day. Since I don't often run around with my shirt and it both off I don't see it as a problem. Not like the people in my shower are going to be asking what I did to my arm. Maybe if I was going to wear something that left my arms bare to something fancy enough that I wouldn't want people to see it I'd care more about it, but I don't see myself wearing a sleeveless dress anytime soon, so I don't see it as a problem.
    Very impressed with how quickly I stopped noticing I was wearing it.
    It doesn't collect hear rate info, but can link to a HRM and show you that info on the website.

I was actually coming in here to see if anyone had some insight into adjusting to this new combo way of tracking net cals it is making me deal with. I'll admit I am not making it easy on myself, as the first full day I had it I ran my first measured 5k, and then on Sunday walked 6.5 miles, so I have several big cal burns messing up my baseline.
  • Morgaath
    Options
    it screams "I'M ON A DIET!"
    First time I saw one I assumed it was a mp3 player, as it didn't look like a phone.
    They were walking around in the grocery store wearing workout clothes so maybe that is why I didn't think anything about it.
    Definitely didn't make me think diet, as they looked more like someone who spends most of their time in a gym.
    Come to think of it, I've got one, and seeing as I am trying to eat at a balance, so I can lose this last bit of fat, and put on some muscle to replace it, I don't think mine makes anyone think I am on a diet.
  • Morgaath
    Options
    Yet, Ironically, BodyMedia picks up my activity - even when it was a cold, wet ride of 4 hours. Interesting.

I am curious what data it used to compute that, since the device would have measured next to no movement on your arm.
    From their website: "BodyMedia FIT is worn directly on your arm. Its patented sensors detect skin temperature, heat flux and motion, so it knows what you're doing, when you're doing it and even the intensity of your effort."

My words:
    It takes some 5000 readings per second of the electricity of your skin, body temp, how fast you are getting rid of that heat, and the motion of your body. This means even if your arm and upper body are perfectly still and restrained, it is still going to be able to tell that you are working hard to do 3 sets of 20 reps of 500lb leg presses. It has no clue what you are doing, but it knows you are working hard. This is why it can tell the difference between you running up 15 flights of stairs, and you running up the same flights wearing a 120lbs in a backpack. It can also tell the difference between you laying in bed wishing you were asleep, and you being asleep.
    This is also why it is a FDA-registered medical device.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Yet, Ironically, BodyMedia picks up my activity - even when it was a cold, wet ride of 4 hours. Interesting.

I am curious what data it used to compute that, since the device would have measured next to no movement on your arm.
    From their website: "BodyMedia FIT is worn directly on your arm. Its patented sensors detect skin temperature, heat flux and motion, so it knows what you're doing, when you're doing it and even the intensity of your effort."

My words:
    It takes some 5000 readings per second of the electricity of your skin, body temp, how fast you are getting rid of that heat, and the motion of your body. This means even if your arm and upper body are perfectly still and restrained, it is still going to be able to tell that you are working hard to do 3 sets of 20 reps of 500lb leg presses. It has no clue what you are doing, but it knows you are working hard. This is why it can tell the difference between you running up 15 flights of stairs, and you running up the same flights wearing a 120lbs in a backpack. It can also tell the difference between you laying in bed wishing you were asleep, and you being asleep.
    This is also why it is a FDA-registered medical device.

I know what sensors it has. That doesn't tell us how they are computing the calorie burn. Presumably they're doing it based solely on heat flux and sweat, but there are so many situations where that could lead to incredibly misleading calculations that I don't think that's all they're doing.

BTW, the FDA registration doesn't mean anything in terms of accuracy or anything like that. It means they paid the FDA to register the device as a Class II device for purposes of safety. The FDA is reasonably assured by BodyMedia and BodyMedia's registration fee that the device won't electrocute you, in other words.
  • Morgaath
    Options
    I know what sensors it has. That doesn't tell us how they are computing the calorie burn. Presumably they're doing it based solely on heat flux and sweat, but there are so many situations where that could lead to incredibly misleading calculations that I don't think that's all they're doing.
    When I was in the hospital all they did was attach two electrodes to me to get the readings they needed. There are many situations where that could lead to incredibly misleading calculations...but since 99% of the time it works, they continue to use it.
    This is kind of the same thing.
    All I know is that it pinpoints exactly when in my day I start walking, and when I start to run, when I hit the hill, and when I start coming down the other side, and when I am lifting weights, when I am laying down watching tv, and when I drift off to asleep. It can tell the difference between when I am giving it 110%, and when I am phoning it in. Seems good enough to me.

And it is way better than the current version of saying I ran 2 miles in 15 minutes and getting a calorie burn out of that, seeing as there is nothing in that to say if it was done on a high school track, or going up Pike's Peak.
  • emerald_eyez84
    Options
    I have had a bodymedia link since last OCtober, when I was wearing it and tracking my calories religiously, I lost 10lbs in less than a month by eating under my bodymedia calorie burn for the day.. It really worked for me...and then i stopped! I disliked that it is noticeable so I recently bought the FITBIT 1, and now I"m doing a little research by using both to see which one is most accurate.
    So far I have noticed that the fit bit gives me less of a calorie burn and bodymedia is giving me more steps, which could be from when i'm driving in my car. So far, I'd say I prefer bodymedia because I like that it gives in depth details about sleep and calorie burn and the calorie burn readout that it gives me seems to be accurate since I am losing weight. I decided that if I have a dress or an outfit that I don't want people to notice it, I'll just wear my fitbit for the day. I can also say that bodymedia gave me no "dimples" or indentations on my arm. Maybe if that happens the strap is too tight to your skin.. you don't wanna cut off your blood circulation.
  • anniechagrin
    Options
    No one is mentioning the monthly fee you have to pay for Body Media. I deactivated my account last year and at that time it was $7.95 a month! Fit Bit is free so that's what I am asking for for Christmas. I liked the Body Media but I can't justify the cost.
  • zoeybleepbloop
    zoeybleepbloop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No one is mentioning the monthly fee you have to pay for Body Media. I deactivated my account last year and at that time it was $7.95 a month! Fit Bit is free so that's what I am asking for for Christmas. I liked the Body Media but I can't justify the cost.

^ This. Also the thing about wearing the Bodymedia "Screams you're on a diet"- I would also agree. I just personally like that stuff hidden from the world, but some people don't mind.

I have both. I wear them at the same time, because I just got a fitbit one so I wanted to see how accurate it is before dumping the hugely ugly and annoyingly visible (to me) Bodymedia device. Fitbit usually calculates that I burn about 200 fewer calories per day (on average) than the Bodymedia records which doesn't bother me. I'm sure the Bodymedia is more accurate there, but it doesn't bother me to have that small discrepancy. They both calculate the same number of steps, almost exactly. And Fitbit is easier to wear, smaller, and has no monthly fee. So I'm dumping the $8/month fee and going with fitbit. Personal choice.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Ditto that!
    That doesn't tell us how they (BMF) are computing the calorie burn. Presumably they're doing it based solely on heat flux and sweat, but there are so many situations where that could lead to incredibly misleading calculations that I don't think that's all they're doing.

I'm pretty sure most of the BMF data is from the accelerometer, just like the Fitbit's is. If anything, I bet the skin data is used mostly to determine sleep. And to make people feel like they have more technology on than you'd find in a Wii remote.
  • Morgaath
    Options
    Friends tried an experiment: Tied a persons arm to a couch. That arm had the fitbit and bodymedia on it. Then had the person do leg lifts. Bodymedia said they were physically active. Fitbit did not. I am going to have to think that the skin sensors are reading something, just as the little things my doctor sticks on me read something.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Interesting! My BMF didn't catch much more activity but I don't use a wrist model Fitbit, either. I think the torso models do better. Of course I don't do any exercise where my torso doesn't move. Maybe 12 oz. curls. :drinker:

I thought it was telling that none of the recent activity monitors use skin sensors-- Fitbits, Misfit Shine, Polar Loop, Fitbug Orb, Nike Fuelband, Jawbone Up-- but I see that the upcoming Amiigo does.
  • phock
    phock Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    After using both FITBIT, Body Media and a Garmin HRM, while also tracking my food and weight, this is what I can say:

Either Fitbit or Body Media will work if you are starting from Square 1 and the idea is to get moving. I think the FITBIT works better for a lot of people as it is less obtrusive. Body Media does record better while I am cycling.

So here is my overall perception:

If you participate in other activities such as swimming and cycling where the sensors are not well geared, neither of these will work. Additionally, the formulas they use to compute caloric burn are way skewed towards people who do not normally exercise.

Case in Point: Both Fitbit and BodyMedia would say for my swimming that I typically burn 600+ calories in my 'Freestyle - fast'. I actually am closer to 450 calories.

Cycling, for instance, my Garmin told me I burned 1200 calories in a low effort 4 hour ride. Sounds low to correct, except I have years of data (calories in/out vs weight) behind using the Garmin. So its accurate to somewhat low. I would guess I was closer to 1300 but whats 100 calories. The FITBIT and Body Media have me in (based on the speed of my bike, not effort) around 2200-2400 calories. The difference is huge.

I still use the fitbit just for '****s and giggles' and I still use the Body Media to monitor my sleep. Sleep pattern disruption is one of the signs of over training.

So if you aren't training for anything particular, just out to lose weight, Either device is fine - just divide the caloric burn in half so you don't get a false sense of security when you get that ice cream!
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    How did you get Fitbit estimates for swimming and cycling? They clearly state they're not programmed for estimating those.

Maybe you should try a Misfit Shine. It claims to have programming to track swimming and cycling.

Though if you're an extreme outlier on the bell curve of METS, nothing's going to work well for you. Maybe the Nike Fuelband, since it's denominated in a non-calorie scale.
  • bvoyles80
    bvoyles80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bumping for later reading.... and will be adding input. I currently use both :)
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is correct but it measures much more than your body movement. It also measures your body's surface temperature, sweat response and the rate at which heat leaves your body.
    I researched this to death before I chose. I ended up going with the Body Media. It is an unobtrusive arm band that is well hidden under my shirt sleeves even with short sleeves on, however as a guy our short sleeves don't tend to be as short.

Body Media actually takes five hundred scientific measurments about what your body is really doing every single minute fo the day. Tht's five hundred data points per minute. The fit bit is a pedometer with some inteligent software behind it but is guessing your burn based on a formula and your steps. While the Body Media is aware of your movement in three dimensions, your body temperature flux (How hard you are working) your sweat levels, (through galvanic skin resistances) and your heat output.

It adds to the data some very smart formualas and gets a lot closer to your actual burn within 10%.

It syncs with MFP so I use MFP to input my food and Body Media to track my exercise. Then I use Body Media to print out an amazing report for the day week or month that tells me down to the minute what I was burning. (2.4 Cals per minute sleeping, up to 25 cals a minute at full tilt exercise!) You can graph your workouts and zoom into a mere moment or back way out and see a graph of the whole day. so you can analyze your exercise effectiveness. Body Media also tracks your sleep patterns and effectveness, as well as food water etc... I love mine! I being an analytical guy hooked on numbers and science etc... Found it VERY helpful and I do not believe I would have made the progress I have made without it. I could look down at the LCD screen that receives real time updates form the arm band and see exactly what I was doing during a workout. I reset the trip meter right before I start working out and throughout the workout it flashes between calories per minute averaged since the reset and the total burn since the reset. It obviously also counts your steps, but it does so much more than that. So I can set a caloric burn goal for the workout and go until I hit it. It's also compatible with a number of smart phones (that then run the Body media App) for even better access to your current data. But my phone is one that it will not work on.

If you want real accuracy and access to as much or as little real data a you want the Body Media is my recommendation.

No.

The fitbit measures your movement the exact same way as the Bodymedia: with a 3-axis accelerometer.
  • Morgaath
    Options
    Since this became semi active again, here is a study on accuracy of 8 different activity monitors:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/activity-monitor-accuracy-fitbit-jawbone_n_5516156.html

Link to the published study is in the article.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I had a Bodymedia but it's been stuffed in a drawer for some time. I liked the info it gathered but I hated wearing it on my arm. I got so tired of people asking me what it was that I started telling them it was so my parole officer could keep track of me. :blushing: I wanted it for motivation but I realized after buying it that I would need an additional item to see my steps for the day and I didn't want to pay more than I already had. I also developed a lovely tan line where the band was so if I chose not to wear it I still had a stripe where it had been. Now the subscription is up and it's stuffed in a drawer and I need to get around to selling it on craigslist.

If anyone wants to swap with me I'd love to try the fitbit one. :wink: