jump rope for someone starting out

Options
I am trying to find out a good type of jump rope for someone starting out.. I have about 90lbs to lose and I want to try jump roping

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Just buy one and start practicing. It's about as simple as it gets as far as equipment.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Punk Rope has some fun videos and good instruction in slo-mo. Just start doing it and gradually increase your time.

http://punkrope.com/
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that jumping rope is pretty strenuous. And there is no way to do it "easy". It takes a certain amount of energy to get both feet off the ground, even at a slow pace.

Your ability to do it depends on your aerobic fitness capacity, which I don't know. But don't be discouraged if, as an overweight beginner, you find it overly challenging at first. If it is something you are determined to do, then doing very short (15-20 sec) intervals with an equal amt of rest can be effective.
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I jump rope about three days a week in my boxing class for about 10 minutes. Yes jump roping is strenuous and it does take practice. I have been doing it for a couple of years now and I am pretty good but I still mess up. It will take you some time but practice makes perfect. When you start getting good at it, it becomes pretty fun to see how fast you can go.