Aggressive vs. Recommended

tritone
tritone Posts: 2
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
OK, the "aggressive" and "recommended" calorie intake levels are confusing me. My BMR, according to the BMR calculator, is 1868 cal / day.

"Aggressive" says it's 2 pounds per week, which is a deficit of 1000 calories per day, which would be 868 calories a day, except it hits a floor and comes up at 1300 calories (for me).

However, when I set my profile to "recommended" (1 pound lost per week, which is a deficit of 500 calories per day) my daily intake limit is now 1840, which is only 28 calories less than my BMR!

What am I missing? Is it doing some addition for your lifestyle and projected exercise goals each week? Just want to be sure I'm actually eating the correct amount of calories.

Replies

• OK, the "aggressive" and "recommended" calorie intake levels are confusing me. My BMR, according to the BMR calculator, is 1868 cal / day.

"Aggressive" says it's 2 pounds per week, which is a deficit of 1000 calories per day, which would be 868 calories a day, except it hits a floor and comes up at 1300 calories (for me).

However, when I set my profile to "recommended" (1 pound lost per week, which is a deficit of 500 calories per day) my daily intake limit is now 1840, which is only 28 calories less than my BMR!

What am I missing? Is it doing some addition for your lifestyle and projected exercise goals each week? Just want to be sure I'm actually eating the correct amount of calories.
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    BMR is your basal metabolism rate which doesn't take into account your daily activity. It's basically what you would burn if you slept 24 hours/day.

For your calorie goals, we also take into account your normal daily activity. That's why we ask you whether you are sedentary, lightly active, etc. , and also why your "recommended" level is so close to your BMR. The calories that we are estimating you burn from normal daily activity will create the deficit you are shooting for.

Hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.