fighting hunger

Options
My biggest issue with losing weight is the hunger than ensues in between meals/snacks and I reach for something to eat.

How does everybody combat this? I know drinking water helps, and healthy snacks like vegetables, a little protein-- any other tips?

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie allowance for the day?
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I try to do something to keep busy until my hunger goes away. In my opinion, snacking in between meals is a bad idea. It teaches your body that its going to get outside food and doesn't burn the fat it already has. Just fight back that hunger and stick to your goal.
  • llabbott77
    Options
    I can offer two suggestions that help me deal with the hunger. The first is try and not have any snacks, etc. handy to be able to reach for. The second is stay busy, many times if I can find something to occupy my full attention for 10 or 15 minutes the "I'm starving sensation" will lessen or even disappear.
  • larrymarquez
    larrymarquez Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lots and lots of water will keep you feeling full, and snack on low calorie stuff like vegetables in between meals. Carrot are my favorite. After a few days you'll get used to it and wont be hungry. weight loss pills also help keep your cravings down. My net cals for the day is 550 and i have no issues with hunger as long as i drink LOTS OF WATER.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I make sure I eat enough fat at every meal to keep me satisfied until the next meal. Avocado, coconut, olives, nuts...whatever it takes. Eat fat! It keeps you satiated!
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Eat 5-6 meals a day, Breakast, morning snack, Lunch, Afternoon Snack, Dinner, and SOMETIMES Midnight Snack/Desert. I can help you more if I know your calorie allowance and weight/height.
  • quitamagic
    quitamagic Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My worst "snack attacks" occur in the afternoon, so I just plan to be ready for them. First, I try the ignore method. If after 15-20 minutes the craving persists, I will reach for the low-calorie snack I've made available. I try to make it a fresh vegetable rather than a fruit because it's lower in sugar and therefore lower in calories as well. My favorite is plain, fresh baby carrots. A handful of carrots is less than 50 calories and is enough to keep my mouth busy for a good half hour or so if I eat them slow and steady. That's usually long enough to fight off the craving, and I haven't succumbed to any unhealthy snacking so it's a win-win. Good luck to you!!
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    My net cals for the day is 550 and i have no issues with hunger as long as i drink LOTS OF WATER.

not even gonna touch that one.
  • emafairycake1986
    emafairycake1986 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    it depends on what your calorie intake is at the min, i have a daily amount of 1540 and generally go over as i eat some of my exercise calories back and i eat like below most of the time and im never really hungry because i enjoy all the food i eat
    early morning gym

8am protien shake
    10am porridge
    11.30 banana or yogurt or something to that effect
    1.30 tuna & spinach salad with an apple
    3.30 glass of milk
    5.30 tea
    7.30 snack of either fruit/yogurt or if feeling naught (which is always) a choccie bar
  • emafairycake1986
    Options
    lots and lots of water will keep you feeling full, and snack on low calorie stuff like vegetables in between meals. Carrot are my favorite. After a few days you'll get used to it and wont be hungry. weight loss pills also help keep your cravings down. My net cals for the day is 550 and i have no issues with hunger as long as i drink LOTS OF WATER.

Que ? 500 cals a day really ?? and your saying diet pills ?? ok im gonna leave that one alone ...
  • adamalle
    adamalle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My net cals for the day is 550

are_you_kidding_me_rage_face_meme_flyers-rdde31ba89cf74fdf809a1ed3e32d449f_vgvs0_8byvr_512.jpg
  • emafairycake1986
    Options
    My net cals for the day is 550

are_you_kidding_me_rage_face_meme_flyers-rdde31ba89cf74fdf809a1ed3e32d449f_vgvs0_8byvr_512.jpg

AGREE!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I found out what works for me is staying low carb (most of the time) and eating one huge meal a day.

I tried just counting calories for the first six or seven months and lost weight but I was always hungry and craving.

I tried Alternate Day Fasting recently when my allergies started up my cravings, and while I might try it again at some point my high calorie days were too high and kept climbing.

So I'm back to low carb with a crazy day now and then.

Also, I did it eating 1200 calories after I'd lost some weight and even more than that when I was heavier, plus eating back exercise calories most of the time. You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight and starving just sets you up to binge and crave anyway. Plus be very cranky and sad. OP, did you edit out that 550 calories bit? I don't see it in your post. Well anyway, please eat more!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I try to do something to keep busy until my hunger goes away. In my opinion, snacking in between meals is a bad idea. It teaches your body that its going to get outside food and doesn't burn the fat it already has. Just fight back that hunger and stick to your goal.

Regular meals are "outside food" as well -- does that mean the OP shouldn't eat *anything*??? :huh:

Healthy snacks throughout the day can help keep you focused and prevent overeating at mealtimes. Snacks that are higher in protein can help fill you up -- try Greek yogurt, string cheese, almonds, etc. Also, what you may think is "hunger" may actually be thirst, so try drinking a few ounces of water first and see if you're still feeling hungry afterwards.

Good luck!
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

bro, That's crazy talk. You shouldn't advise someone to go down your path. It is not healthy.. 500 calories a day for a male? Please seek help.

And please, whatever you do.. do not snack/eat 1-2 hours before bed time.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

OP, ignore whatever this guy - if he's netting 550 calories, he is not reliable for advice.

Ok - now to your actual question. You're trying to lose less than 10 lbs, so you shouldn't be eating at a huge deficit - make sure you're actually eating enough. (check out this link for help with that: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy )

Next, if you're sure you're actually eating enough, make sure you're getting enough protein and healthy fats. Both of these are essential for your health, and they will keep you feeling full for longer.
  • SnicciFit
    Options

bro, That's crazy talk. You shouldn't advise someone to go down your path. It is not healthy.. 500 calories a day for a male? Please seek help.

Yes, he clearly is Cuh-razy, but why not snack before bed? Depending on your exercise routine, it can actually be advised to eat before bed (Carb Backloading). That rule doesn't apply to everyone.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Let me guess -- it's because your metabolism shuts down when you're sleeping, right?

Wrong.
  • SnicciFit
    Options

OP, ignore whatever this guy - if he's netting 550 calories, he is not reliable for advice.

Ok - now to your actual question. You're trying to lose less than 10 lbs, so you shouldn't be eating at a huge deficit - make sure you're actually eating enough. (check out this link for help with that: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy )

Next, if you're sure you're actually eating enough, make sure you're getting enough protein and healthy fats. Both of these are essential for your health, and they will keep you feeling full for longer.

^^^good advice.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I make sure I eat enough fat at every meal to keep me satisfied until the next meal. Avocado, coconut, olives, nuts...whatever it takes. Eat fat! It keeps you satiated!

THIS^

Eat enough. Eat lots of healthy fat. There is NO need to struggle with hunger and no need to snack constantly. Really.

And please people, stop with the "fill up on water" bs and promoting extreme low cal/low fat dieting.

Are you here just to lose a few pounds temporarily or are you here for your health and permanent weight loss?