Help Broccoli..

Options
So ive been eating broccoli for the past year now as a side for mostly all my meals
the thing is i hate the taste lol cant find anything that helps the flavor of it
can you guys help with what you season it with...

Replies

• luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi! I recently found a recipe which I've been wanting to try... Roasted Broccoli with Parmesean. So sprinkle with some olive oil, rub around to coat, then throw in the oven (400-425.) Near the end (when still a little firm for your liking) sprinkle with parmesean cheese, then finish roasting.

i'm looking forward to trying it, maybe tonight...
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I cooked mine with my salmon yesterday with teriyaki sauce, it was yummy.

I saw a suggestion on here once where the person mixed broccoli and hummus and baked them together - sounded delicious.

If after a year, though, you still don't like it, it might be time to try a new vegetable! :)
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Goya Adobo (go easy, it's salty); some olive oil; Chinese Five Spice; Cajun Spice; a drizzle of flavored butter (maybe garlic flavored?); a bit of bacon/bacon bits flavoring. Try some other greens. Sylvia and Allen's make awesome seasoned mixed greens (canned): collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, kale. Any one veg. can truly get boring. Btw, diverse as they are, including cauliflower, cabbage varieties and brussels sprouts, they are all descendants of one species: the wild cabbage.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    my favorite way of preparing broccoli, is to steam frozen spears or florettes (big pcs) in a bowl w/ about a tablespoon of water, salt/pepper, covered w/ plastic wrap for about 3-4 min in microwave. Once done, I sprinkle grated cheddar over, which melts nicely...then I hit it w/ a few dashes of heinz "salad" vinegar. I have to have the vinegar or it makes me gaggy.

simple, but good
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Try cooking some onions and garlic with it. thats my favorite way to eat it.
    I also steam my broccoli.. its much better steamed in my opinion. Mushy broccoli is awful..
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Saute some garlic, sea salt, and red pepper flakes in olive oil or sesame oil. Add broccoli and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth, cover and steam for 20 minutes (check on broth every once in awhile to make sure broth hasn't run dry.) Stop cooking and add 2 tbsps. of honey. Let it sit about 5 minutes before eating.

It tastes amazing... even to non broccoli eaters.

I also like it steamed a really long time with some lemon pepper.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    "I must eat a healthy food so I will cover it with cheese and bacon"... hmmm

I personally love the taste of broccoli really fresh, only with boiling water poured on-top for maybe a minute. It stays really crunchy and nice. Have you been over-boiling it by any chance? It should look GREENER once you've cooked it, rather than cooking it until it's dull.

I still remember my dad speaking of my grandmother's surprise, begging for his secret as to how he cooked vegetables and made them look so bright and taste so good. Just... don't cook them much? Try it out, they taste much better this way and keep much more nutrients :)
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any other veggies? I started making a veggie drink (or soup) that is pretty decent. I mix green beans, brocolli, cauliflower, red peppers, and a little squash with tumeric, hot curry powder, ginger, pepper, a little salsa, small amount of cheese and a hint of peanut sauce. It sounds awful and does not look great until all mixed, but once heated slightly it is an okay way to get your veggies down quickly. The day I mixed in some cooked ground turkey I feared I had crossed over to the darkside. :D
  • His_Buttercup2015
    His_Buttercup2015 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If I'm having a chicken breast with it, I'll set my broccoli in the steamer then set a thin chicken breast on top seasoned with Mrs dash.
    I also mix it with other veggies: cauliflower, carrots, or add it chopped to lightly seasoned rice. A little cheese always helps but check your labels.
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I want to eat broccoli with every meal but I know that I'll get tired of it!!!

I spray some EVOO (light) and add some garlic and other seasonings (It's always something new) and both of my boys eat it like crazy!!!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Why would you eat broccoli if you don't like it? I don't eat broccoli :)

I do, however, eat asparagus, zucchini, squash, spinach, corn, tomatoes, green beans, peas, and just about any other vegetable you can think of. Branch out! I've found that I like just about anything if it's roasted in the oven.
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Since you hate the taste, really the only option is to mask the taste, in which case anything will do in sufficient amounts. One method is chop the broccoli into smaller pieces and mix that with something else, which will tend to overwhelm the broccoli taste since it's more spread out instead of concentrated into bites.

However, the food we eat should be enjoyable or at least tolerable. No reason to force yourself to eat something you hate if there are other similarly nutritious options that may be more to your liking.
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I roast broccoli and cauliflower with some EVOO and vegetable spice...very yummy!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli steamed with some fresh lemon juice squirted overtop. That's how I ate it growing up and have always loved it!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It's OK to not eat broccoli. There are lots of other nutritious and delicious vegetables to enjoy. :flowerforyou:
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    lemon zest. Brightens it up and is delicious
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have yet to taste a recipe for broccoli I haven't liked.. That said, I like it raw and steamed and.. well any way really.. Best of luck finding one you enjoy.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I oven roast it with a little EVOO and garlic. Every now and again, just after it comes out of the oven, I will sprinkle a little parmesan... yum!

But really, if you don't like broccoli why are you eating it every day? Is there another veggie you might prefer?
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, salt, pepper, roast. Sometimes I'll sprinkle some cheddar on it when it comes out if it's feeling particularly boring, but it's generally pretty tasty roasted. I also like to put gruyere on it.

Change up your veggies if you don't dig broccoli. Roasted green beans are yummy (especially with some lemon juice/zest and slivered almonds). Or you can do roasted brussels sprouts. Clearly I roast all the things.
  • luziferl
    luziferl Posts: 82
    Options
    So ive been eating broccoli for the past year now as a side for mostly all my meals
    the thing is i hate the taste lol cant find anything that helps the flavor of it
    can you guys help with what you season it with...

why do u eat if u dont like it? just saying ;)