Eating low calories but not so healthy?

Options
I'm trying to follow a 1200 calorie diet, and for the most part I eat healthy well balanced meals but sometimes I slip and eat junk food like say cookies or cake. So my question is if I still stay under 1200 calories but those 1200 calories were made of say for example a slice of cheesecake and a starbucks coffee, will I still see the same results as if I had eaten healthy food? I'm not saying this would be an everyday thing. Maybe 2 days in a row at most.

Replies

• allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, yes. Calories are calories, but if you get 1200 calories out of a piece of cheesecake and a sugary coffee that leaves you with an empty belly for most of the day and resisting eating is going to be really hard (this can be a "binge" trigger). It's probably a better choice to limit yourself to a bite or two of cheesecake and a 'regular" coffee and then eat healthy the rest of the day. Alternatively, you can eat high that day (with the rest of your consumption "healthy"), increase your exercise and eat 200 below "normal" for a few days so the calorie "hit" isn't as severe.
  • JesT23
    JesT23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I also eat around 1200 cals and I know it is difficult to get adequate nutrition at this number so I try my best to make every calorie count. From what I've been learning, the body treats different foods in different ways. For example, the nutrients in some vegetables are not absorbed properly if they are not consumed with a healthy fat. It can even make a difference depending on whether the vegetable is cooked or raw. With that being said, I wouldn't make too much room in your budget for low quality foods. Sugars, artificial and natural, can both change up what your body decides to do with the foods you eat (i.e. store as fat or burn for energy). I'm not saying you've sunk yourself by enjoying some cake but maybe add some exercise and drink extra water on the days you indulge?
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining right now and eat 2160 calories a day, 2 of those days a week are spent eating junk because my other half is expecting so I join in, I have continued to lose a pound a week and have never put on since I've started using this app and stayed within my calorie limit.

I guess you shouldn't do it every day and everyone may be different but I've found that by keeping within my calorie level means I don't put weight on.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to just lose numbers or get healthy? That's the real question. You can lose weight or you can lose fat and look good.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Your body reflects what you put into it. If you eat a healthy diet, your body will reflect that. Why would you want to consumme so much sugar? You will not get a slamming body eating junk food period..
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Your body reflects what you put into it. If you eat a healthy diet, your body will reflect that. Why would you want to consumme so much sugar? You will not get a slamming body eating junk food period..

I guess it depends on if he wants to be cut or just in control of his all round shape.
  • donnakraus63
    donnakraus63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, however when you are eating high carb/fatty things your body responds differently, releasing insulin and causing you to be hungary more quickly as well as holding onto fat. Ultimately you will not lose as quickly or consistently as you should. I try to increase the protein intake and lower my carb intake to get the best weight loss. You need protein for breakfast to help stave off hunger the rest of the day. Every once in awhile you may be out and a treat within your calories is ok, but don't make a habit of it. As soon as my daugher realized that even though she could have the junk food and stay within her calories and lose some, when she made the choice to eat healthier the weight came off much faster and stayed off. Good luck
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Might not be a popular opinion but whatever HERE I GO! :P

I have been eating a good chunk of 'junk food' and I've lost 100 pounds, I look better now at 178 than I did at 160 pre-pregnancy.
    So. Take whatever you want from that.

Make sure you're getting enough protein!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If you eat a moderate calorie deficit, you will loose weight. It does not matter if those calories come from vegetables or cake.

However, there are 2 distinct advantages to eating whole foods vs. processed foods.

1) Your body determines hunger based on the perceived volume of food that you eat. Whole foods generally have more volume per calorie. 1200 calories worth of raw veggies is 6 quarts of food. 1200 calories worth of cake is only one quart. Which is going to make you feel more full?

2) You might be able to meet your macros by eating junk food, but you won't get all the micronutrients your body needs, especially if you're calories are restricted. This okay for very short-term weight loss, but it doesn't do much in the way of teaching you how to maintain a healthy diet long-term.

This isn't to say that you should never eat cake, but be aware how that's going to affect your hunger and how many nutrients you will get and just be smart about it. If there's a day where you have a piece of cake for lunch, have a big salad with some lean protein instead of something more calorie dense so you don't feel hungry or are tempted to over eat later.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Maybe not two days in a row, but one day a week or every other week,or eat half a piece of cheese cake and a smaller cup of coffee. You shouldn't have to give up the things you love, just learn how to reduce the size of your portions and the frequency you eat them.
  • mandiefenrich
    mandiefenrich Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try making a smoothie with frozen bananas, unsweetened plain almond milk, and unsweetened cocoa powder. It tastes like a chocolate shake, only has the sugar from the banana, and gives you energy. It REALLY helps me on days that I am craving something sweet.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1200 calories, you will loose weight. It does not matter if those calories come from vegetables or cake.

However, there are 2 distinct advantages to eating the vegetables (and other whole foods like fruits, grains, legumes, etc).

1) Your body determines hunger based on the volume of food that you eat. 1200 calories worth of raw veggies is 6 quarts of food. 1200 calories worth of cake is only one quart. Which is going to make you feel more full?

2) You might be able to meet your macros by eating junk food, but you won't get all the micronutrients your body needs, especially if you're calories are restricted. This okay for very short-term weight loss, but it doesn't do much in the way of teaching you how to maintain a healthy diet long-term.

This isn't to say that you should never eat cake, but be aware how that's going to affect your hunger and how many nutrients you will get and just be smart about it. If there's a day you anticipate having a piece of cake, have a salad for lunch instead of something more calorie dense for example.

The above could not be more incorrect on so many levels. Volume has nothing to do with satiety; NUTRIENTS do. The human body needs lots of fat and moderate protein, and moderate to low carbs. Fill up on veggies, fruit and grain because they are low in calories and fat? Good luck with that. Years and years of doing that didn't help me lose weight and it actually made me VERY sick.

You will not necessarily lose weight eating 1200 calories, because there is much, much more to fat storage/burning than just calories in and calories out. One factor that most people here seem oblivious to are HORMONES. Hormones regulate metabolism including fat storage. Hormones are strongly influenced by WHAT we eat.

Eat what you want, and if it's working for you, then don't worry about it. If it's not working, try something else.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    The above could not be more incorrect on so many levels. Volume has nothing to do with satiety; NUTRIENTS do.

All the research I've read says otherwise. Satiety is based on the perceived volume of food, which is why people eat less food when they use smaller plates, and consume less calories when they eat less calorie dense food.

Nutrients determine adequate nutrition, not satiety.
    The human body needs lots of fat and moderate protein, and moderate to low carbs.

Well, we could argue about this until the cows come home but the bottom line is that most human bodies are capable of thriving at all sorts of different macro ratios as long as minimum essential amino and fatty acids are met.
    Fill up on veggies, fruit and grain because they are low in calories and fat? Good luck with that. Years and years of doing that didn't help me lose weight and it actually made me VERY sick.

You forgot legumes and etc. (nuts, seeds, avocados, and also eggs, meat and dairy if that's your thing). I was just referring to whole vs. processed foods. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
    You will not necessarily lose weight eating 1200 calories, because there is much, much more to fat storage/burning than just calories in and calories out. One factor that most people here seem oblivious to are HORMONES. Hormones regulate metabolism including fat storage. Hormones are strongly influenced by WHAT we eat.

I agree with this. I hit a 3 month long plateau after eating around 1200 calories for a long time and didn't start loosing more weight until I increased my calories. That's not what the OP was asking about, though.
    Eat what you want, and if it's working for you, then don't worry about it. If it's not working, try something else.

I agree with this, but I also think it's a good idea to keep an eye on your micros and macros if you're trying to create good lifelong diet habits.

ETA: Thanks for the criticism, I corrected a lot of things in my previous post.