Weightloss Shakes??

Options
I started drinking the Special K protein shakes a few weeks ago because a friend recommended them to help suppress my appetite. & it does work for me! I recently switched to the equate weight loss shakes because they're cheaper but provide all the same nutrients as the Special K shakes.

Now my question is are these shakes going to help aid in my weight loss or just slow down the process?! I really want to look good and feel comfortable with myself before I go to South Carolina in June.

Also message me if you have any tips that could help me lose weight! I'm currently 139 lbs, my goal before the trip is 130, and my main goal is 125. I'm 5'3 and I know I am very determined to lose weight!

Replies

• samanthajo1994
    Options
    ?
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd never drink that stuff in a million years. As much carbohydrate as the same size serving of Coke, with 2/3 of the carbohydrate being sugar? It's also a low quality whey concentrate, not an isolate...

... and the fat comes from canola oil? So it's full of Omega-6's as well?

Hardly a "protein shake". You'd be so much better off making your own with a high-quality protein powder.

As for losing weight, we'd have to see your diary - but the standard recommendation of eating above your BMR and below your TDEE is almost always most-excellent advice.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I did the shake thing for a few months back in 2006. The Slim Fast or generic Target version. Although I liked how they tasted, they didn't go anything for me as far as my weight or health was concerned, & I haven't had them since.

Instead, around that time I decided to start learning about actual food (what's really in it & how everything affects the body.) And a whole new beautiful world opened up where I was able to eat so much more and became more healthy than I ever have been in my life.

If you want a protein supplement, research a quality good one, not one that's full of sugar & doesn't provide any nutrients.

Also, upping your protein ratio might help suppress your appetite. I was only doing about 15%, & when I upped it to 25% I noticed a big difference. I'm doing 30% right now, but I know some that go up to 50%.

If you REALLY want to help with your appetite, look closely at what you're actually eating. If you're having trouble with portion control (which was an issue of mine once) look at what times & how often you're eating. I found like most people, if you spread your eating out throughout the day you tend to make better choices, don't over eat, & control your portions easily.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So you plan to just drink shakes for the rest of your life rather than learning healthy eating habits? I'd rather have real food than a shake.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I like shakes for the convenience factor. I have one at least 4 days per week - either for breakfast or a snack before a workout (and yes, I eat real food too).

However, I'm with albertabeefy in questioning the nutritional value of Special K, Slimfast, Glucerna etc. MUCH more bang for the buck with a quality protein powder mixed with (depending on your macros) water, milk, cream, almond, soy or coconut milk. Add a handful of berries or spinach and a spoonful of flax or chia and you've got a satisfying drink that much better and tastier than the sugar bomb Special K shake.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    It's possible they could help you lose weight, but it's most definitely not a very nutritious or healthy way to get there. I understand the convenience factor, but whipping up a quick shake or smoothie at home can take as little as 5 minutes once you have the supplies.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    She didnt ask if any of us would drink them she asked if it is going to help with her weightloss.

In answer to.your question if you are having the shakes in place of a meal then yes you are reducing your calorie intake to roughly 200 calories a meal instead of what you would normally eat. So if you normally ate a 2000 (or whatever cals you were eating before)calorie diet and dropped cals by having these shakes instead yes you should lose weight.

What sort of eating habits do you plan to have once you reach your goal weight?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Realistic-Harlem-Shake.gif