Walking In Running Shoes?

snookeroo
snookeroo Posts: 2,008 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I usually buy cross trainers as my all around shoe. (New Balance is my preference).
I will use these shoes for my every day use, including walking for exercise. Although, I do use a second pair of shoes for grass cutting.

I was wondering what others thought about using a running shoe for walking?
So walkers, what do you use?
And does anyone actually use a walking shoe? (I used to a long time ago, but didn't care for them.)

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    I use my running shoes for both and it works fine :D
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Same here... I prefer running shoes in general because they tend to be lighter, and I prefer the way they fit. :bigsmile:
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Honestly, I had no idea there was a difference between running and walking shoes!
  • i didn't know there was a difference either. but i have a pair of asics, bc when i was taking a boot camp class, i was interested in starting to run and my instructor/trainer said a great pair of shoes was key, and he reccomended asics. i haven't had any issues with them, so i will prolly continue to use them unless someone else has an amazing brand they reccomend trying.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    I used to walk in running shoes... but I had some issues: I'm over 100 lbs overweight... it seemed that the running shoes wore down quickly. I have a high arch and seemed to walk all of the shoes over on the outside. And I just needed more support. I went to a runners store to be fitted and the guy there was really helpful. He actually put me in a pair of Asics crosstrainers that give more support and had more cushioning in the ball of the foot area as well as the heel (2 areas that were hurting me). I walked in those for about 6 months and they really helped support my feet and legs.

Most recently I've bought the Dr. Scholls toning walking shoes. I find them to be a HUGE help... lots of cushioning and "bounce" to the bottom of the shoe.

I think it depends on the person... I've been told that you can walk in a running shoe but that you shouldn't run in a walking shoe. But again - I think it depends on the person.
  • well to clarify i only wear my asics when i'm running, never any other time. i bought some sketchers tone ups flip flops at a consignment store(didnt' want to pay full price if they don't work). i wear them around the house and if i'm going for a leisure walk with friends, i do feel they provide a bit of extra toning help and they do help with your posture, and standing straight burns more calories that slouching. but when i leave the house i wear cute sandals all spring/summer, or my toms.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I didn't know there was a difference either. I bought two pair of Asics Gel recently. I wear one pair for everyday and the other pair I wear only for running.
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Walking shoes are pretty much useless. All of the technology and support and effort go into running shoes. Walking in running shoes is perfectly fine...and preferred actually. Some people like to wear the Sketchers Shape Ups or similar...IMO its a gimmick but some people swear by them.

I usually wear Asics...but I recently bought a pair of Saucony Grid Cohesions that I LOVE!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Walking shoes are pretty much useless. All of the technology and support and effort go into running shoes. Walking in running shoes is perfectly fine...and preferred actually. Some people like to wear the Sketchers Shape Ups or similar...IMO its a gimmick but some people swear by them.

I usually wear Asics...but I recently bought a pair of Saucony Grid Cohesions that I LOVE!

I honestly thought that they were a gimmick too until I had a doctor recommend them to me for my plantar fasciitis that was preventing me from being able to exercise. Whether or not they "tone" I don't know - I know that they stretch more and that I am inclined to walk more... so I notice more results.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I went to Finish Line in the mall yesterday for new sneakers and I told the person working there that I'm not a runner, but I do alot of workout videos and the elliptical. He suggested running shoes, and so far they've been good for my two workouts. I'm gonna try them out on the elliptical tomorrow and see. I think I need to either lace them tighter or looser, my arch and shins were hurting a bit today and I don't know why. Maybe they weren't laced up right...
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    And does anyone actually use a walking shoe? (I used to a long time ago, but didn't care for them.)

Last week I went to Fleet Feet to be fitted for walking shoes (training for a 3 day 60 mile walk in October.) They put me in running shoes, because they flex better and are a bit lighter. So I'm guessing running shoes are ideal for walking... ;)
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 2,008 Member

Last week I went to Fleet Feet to be fitted for walking shoes (training for a 3 day 60 mile walk in October.) They put me in running shoes, because they flex better and are a bit lighter. So I'm guessing running shoes are ideal for walking... ;)

3 Day - 60 miles...COOL! Is it for a cause or are you doing it to do it? What's the destination?
This discussion has been closed.