Heart Rate Monitor

Options
2»

Replies

• jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

This is a great post. Everyone who owns or wants to get an HRM should read it
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I bought a polar ft 4 and I LOVE it. It tracks calories, heart rate high, low, and the time spent in the target zone. It is wonderful and super reliable.

I also have a FT4 and LOVE IT! Same as above.....really helps keep me in check.
  • HoneyCashew
    Options
    Bump and Thanks!
  • mrob04
    mrob04 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What do you want it to do?

Well heres the thing.... I used to do just cardio and liked it ok but decided to try lifting weights and I really like it but I am unsure of the calories that I would burn while lifiting. So I was thinking wearing a HRM it would show me what I burned and if I needed to do more. Even tho my acct with MFP is old Ive done the typical on again off again with exercise and eating right & have just recently recommited to a healtier lifestyle. With that being said I am relatively new to exercise and need lots of help and advice! LOL!!!!

Lots and lots of ppl are speaking highly of the polar ft 4. I may end up goin with that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Well heres the thing.... I used to do just cardio and liked it ok but decided to try lifting weights and I really like it but I am unsure of the calories that I would burn while lifiting. So I was thinking wearing a HRM it would show me what I burned and if I needed to do more. Even tho my acct with MFP is old Ive done the typical on again off again with exercise and eating right & have just recently recommited to a healtier lifestyle. With that being said I am relatively new to exercise and need lots of help and advice! LOL!!!!

Lots and lots of ppl are speaking highly of the polar ft 4. I may end up goin with that.

HRMs are not designed to give calorie estimates for weight lifting. It will give you an estimate but it will just be a random number. Usually I see quite high estimates. The article i linked above explains it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

HRMs are not designed to give calorie estimates for weight lifting. It will give you an estimate but it will just be a random number. Usually I see quite high estimates. The article i linked above explains it.

Agreed. HRMs are not designed to be used with strength training. They are meant for steady state cardio. Lifting is neither steady state nor cardio.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Agreed. HRMs are not designed to be used with strength training. They are meant for steady state cardio. Lifting is neither steady state nor cardio.

I use mine to do JM's Body Revolution which is a mix of strength training and cardio. The HRM's measure your heart rate and base calories burned on that. So I agree, only doing weight training - although very essential to fat loss, your HRM wont' be as useful.
  • bobbietaylor733
    Options
    I also have the FT4 and LOVE it!

BUT, does anyone know how to shut off the annoying beeping when your not in your target zone...it drives me CRAZY when I`m cooling down and using weights sometimes.... plus it drives my dog crazy when I walk him, he`s always looking to see where that beeping noise is coming from LOL.
  • harric88
    harric88 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    POLAR FT7 - I love it :) I used to swim quite a lot so that was why I chose this one - Worth every penny.
  • mrob04
    mrob04 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

I did not realize that. Thank you. So in yalls opinion if I do strength training how do I calculate calories burned? Is it necessary that I do so (hopefully thats not a dumb question cuz it kinda sounds like one!)? I am still doing C25K so will probably still purchase a HRM for that reason.