Small rant about gender stereotypes in the gym....

Options
2»

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean a belt? Never heard it called a back brace before.

Anyway, good for you! People like that get on my nerves!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that awful discrimination.

Though I would like to point out what you're referring to as a 'back brace' isn't actually a back brace, and you might injure yourself worse if you treat it like one.

but he called it a back brace too? That's sooo weird.

Weight belt?

Pretty sure that's what she means. Unless it's something else entirely I haven't seen before. For two people to call it a back brace - that's pretty unusual.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Wow....it would be one thing if he said women don't "usually" lift heavy enough for them to justify buying one or something.....but to say they aren't SUPPOSED TO?!? From a trainer???? That is ridiculous. What an *kitten*.

I work out at my law school's gym and I"m always the only chick in the weights area. I'm not even lifting very heavy right now (haven't gotten into a great program) but I still like to go through an arm routine with dumbbells and the looks I get....you would think I was wearing neon light up underwear or something. Used to make me self conscious but now I"m just like eff this....I'm 24 years old not a kid I don't give a crap.

Keep it up, Wonder Woman!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    life is too short for me to get up in arms about what some meathead in the gym says. people are welcome to their stereotypes.
    at least now you know to never hire this trainer.

excellent come back though
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I tried to find this belt in the store, but it only came in womens sizes. I'm so mad that men can't get properly fitting belts. :sad:

232_WomensNylonBelt_PINK_Curled-copy-265x300.jpg
  • Ibarra951
    Ibarra951 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are a few guys at my gym like that and they always cut their eyes and such when I'm using free weights. The co-owner of my gym thought it was absurd that my boyfriend suggested I do deadlifts.

Why would a co-owner of a gym think it's absurd to do compound movements? What, does he think females have to restrict themselves to accessory lifting only?

Not to be a pervo or anything, but i've seen some outstanding female physique's in the gym's i've been to and they are almost always doing compound movements. Squats, Deadlifts, Pull-Ups, etc.

I think compound movements are awesome and there's nothing wrong with a female doing dead-lifts. Just my opinion I guess.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    but he called it a back brace too? That's sooo weird.

Really? You're surprised at the lack of knowledge of an over payed babysitter - because that's what most PT's are, they require an abysmally small amount of knowledge to achieve the certification to work in a chain gym. The function of most PT's is to encourage you to keep coming back, so they can sell memberships, not to actually get your results.

That aside, the most important issue here is that the OP does not know how to correctly use a weight belt. A weight belt is NOT a back support, and using it like one can lead to injury. Just sticking it on and cinching it up, convincing yourself that this automatically makes you safer can lead to over-reaching and thus injury.

The CORRECT way to use a belt is as something to brace your ab muscles against, to increase intra-abdominal pressure. This only works if you are using the valsalva technique when lifting.

Learn more here;

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/benefits-and-proper-use-of-weightlifting-belts/

Here's a decent video too;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg4CaFFZqiU
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can get annoying when men (and women) assume that you don't know what you're doing, but to me, this is really a minor annoyance. My dad and my brother used to think I was "lifting too much" until they tried to do some of the lifts I do. Once they realized how strong I am and reconciled that with the fact that I don't look like some 'roided out she-man, they changed their tune. Some people just need a chance to realize that their mindset is wrong.

On a side note, I find that guys who are truly passionate about lifting don't tend to have that attitude toward female lifters. They are typically very excited to see a strong, dedicated woman on the "man" side of the gym, and many of them will go out of their way to help you when/if you need it.
  • clairabellle
    clairabellle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Touché .
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he was just making a joke to me.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    He probably meant; a woman can be fit and not have to lift so heavy.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I tried to find this belt in the store, but it only came in womens sizes. I'm so mad that men can't get properly fitting belts. :sad:

232_WomensNylonBelt_PINK_Curled-copy-265x300.jpg

That's a terrible belt anyway.
  • jimmyalice1984
    jimmyalice1984 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym a few weeks ago for the squat rack, The attitude I get from the majority of the men is amazing - most of them are brainless neanderthals who couldn't squat properly if their lives depended on it. I really wish more women would use the heavier weights corner instead of going upstairs where the lighter weights are kept. I just ignore it as much as possible, earphones in and workout on.....
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can get annoying when men (and women) assume that you don't know what you're doing, but to me, this is really a minor annoyance. My dad and my brother used to think I was "lifting too much" until they tried to do some of the lifts I do. Once they realized how strong I am and reconciled that with the fact that I don't look like some 'roided out she-man, they changed their tune. Some people just need a chance to realize that their mindset is wrong.

On a side note, I find that guys who are truly passionate about lifting don't tend to have that attitude toward female lifters. They are typically very excited to see a strong, dedicated woman on the "man" side of the gym, and many of them will go out of their way to help you when/if you need it.

My fiance likes to tell me I am doing it wrong when I talk to him about heavy lifting at the gym. He's like "you should focus on cardio. And do light weights with high reps." Um..... I am doing cardio. But I am lifting heavy and he can't change that.

I have yet to have someone look at me weird while I'm on the "man" side of the gym. haha Actually, all the guys there have been super helpful! I have only really seen one woman there, but the most I see her lift is 20 lbs. I now have 2 workout buddies that are showing me around, and have let me join their routine. And they challenge me. They up the weight and say, "try this." haha :laugh: I believe their goal is to have me so sore that I can't move by the end of the week. :bigsmile: I'm all for it. I love feeling sore muscles from a good workout....
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Since when did women start lifting?
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Well, Im pretty sure its been established, but were all talking about a weight belt, or a lifting belt.

That dude sounds like a brainless tool... and you just keep doing your thang girl.

I just used a gym weight belt for the first time the other day, good thing I found a small one, and it made a great difference. when I walk into the gym, I get super anxious to get the squat rack, and start piling on those plates. I get the best looks when I wear my favorite shirt, it says "I GOT THIS." And you bet I do! :wink: