Does FitBit really work

Options
So, I"m not sure if this is the proper forum section or not, but I'll give it a go anyway. I'm thinking about getting a FitBit or one of the other similar devices, but I'm curious as to how effective they are.

I look at, for instance, the calorie count on a treadmill or elliptical where I can type in my weight and age and it gives me a supposedly calibrated calorie count based on how long I go and how fast, etc.

But I often wonder how effective that is. Especially given several relatively unique factors to me. I am taller than average, my heart rate doesn't go as high because of all the HBP meds I"m on, yet I'm still pushing myself to a very hard workout. So it seems like there's sort of a "one size fits all" that goes on with those calorie counts.

And I wonder the same thing about the Fitbit and such. Do they really "individualize" the measurements, or is it kind of a generic thing where it says "you've gone X number of minutes, so you should burn X number of calories"? Are they really that different from the treadmill monitor?

Any help from those who own such devices would be greatly appreciated before I plunk down a large chunk of change for something that may or may not work for me.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you want a Heart Rate Monitor w/chest strap. This would be specific for cardio workouts. Like mine takes into account my Avg HR, max hr, age, weight, and vo2 max for the duration of the workout.

Fitbit is a pedometer, that you wear all day. From my understanding it can be a good tool to help you understand your activity level throughout the day. I'm not sure how it determines calories, but I do know that if you let it sync to MFP it will take away or add calories to your day based on what you have done.
    http://www.fitbit.com/one
  • viccigb
    viccigb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wear both a fitbit all day and then a HRM while i exercise. The calorie counts on both are very close. I'd say the fitbit actually gives a more accurate count than the exercise machines do. i also have the fitbit scale and it keeps track of my weight so I don't have to input it in anywere including MFP. good luck!!