Thoughts on Calorie intake

Options
2»

Replies

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused as where to have my calories at. I was doing the TDEE and I just think that isn't working for me, I still feel like I need to be lower. Any thoughts or suggestions? Do you all follow MFP standards? I keep reading that it is too low.

For reference I am 212 lbs currently and 22 years old. The TDEE-20% had me at 1500 calories a day.

If you're doing it right, it really doesn't matter whether you use the TDEE method or the NEAT method (MFP method)...they're really 6 of 1 if you're doing them right.

MFP had me at 1750 calories to lose 1 Lb per week...plus 300 exercise calories on average per day = 2,050 gross calories per day. TDEE method includes all of my exercise...TDEE = 2550 * 80% = 2040 gross calories...10 calorie difference between methods to lose 1 Lb per week.

What's more important is that you pick a method...stick with it and be consistent in what you are doing. Also, about 9x out of 10 when "it isn't working" it is because there is a calorie estimation error...either underestimating consumption or overestimating burn or activity level. Failure to measure and weigh food and realize proper portions is an easy way for calories to creep in. When I first started for example, I didn't realize that a "chicken breast" meant 4 oz of chicken breast...I just thought it was "chicken breast"...so I'd grill up a whole breast which on average is about double the serving size. Stuff like that can really mess you up.

I agree on all accounts.

So many people get wrapped up in which method is more accurate or which method works better. They do the same damn thing, they just get to the same end point via different routes. So it's really just a matter of personal preference.
    MFP was telling me to eat 1300 a day, that wasn't working for me and was lower than where I need to be to actually lose weight.
  • tneedham78
    Options
    Originally I based my TDEE on sedentary, because I wasn't a faithful gym person. But now I do go faithfully so, after reading everything said, I just went back and changed it and it is telling me to consume 1310 calories. I'm going to try to make myself eat that many calories and hopefully I will see some results. My Bodymedia fit is telling me to consume 2020 but daily burn 3020. There is no way I will ever make it to that many calories. Trial and error I guess. I never thought I would have to eat more calories to lose weight.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Originally I based my TDEE on sedentary, because I wasn't a faithful gym person. But now I do go faithfully so, after reading everything said, I just went back and changed it and it is telling me to consume 1310 calories. I'm going to try to make myself eat that many calories and hopefully I will see some results. My Bodymedia fit is telling me to consume 2020 but daily burn 3020. There is no way I will ever make it to that many calories. Trial and error I guess. I never thought I would have to eat more calories to lose weight.
    It is a hard idea to wrap your brain around, I understand.
    Also, that number does seem pretty low for someone working out 5 to 6 days a week.
  • amalzingsong
    amalzingsong Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone for your answers! This is really helping me. :)
  • tneedham78
    Options
    I think I will manually change it to 1500 calories a day and stick with it through the end of May and see what happens. Unless of course I gain another 5-10lbs. Maybe I am working out to much, maybe I need to cut out a day or two to balance myself out?
  • CM9178
    Options
    I think I will manually change it to 1500 calories a day and stick with it through the end of May and see what happens. Unless of course I gain another 5-10lbs. Maybe I am working out to much, maybe I need to cut out a day or two to balance myself out?
    When you calculate your TDEE, you need to make sure to select an accurate activity level. From what you've described, I think it is somewhere between Moderate and Heavy (probably more moderate). So the number you get will include that expected exercise already. If you have the activity level set inaccurately, then yes, you could be eating too little/burning too much.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    When you calculate your TDEE, you need to make sure to select an accurate activity level. From what you've described, I think it is somewhere between Moderate and Heavy (probably more moderate). So the number you get will include that expected exercise already. If you have the activity level set inaccurately, then yes, you could be eating too little/burning too much.

Agreed.

The calculators can only do the math... it's up to you to make reasonable choices and use a little common sense.
  • tneedham78
    Options
    Okay, my TDEE says 1810. I do have a desk job all day, but go to the gym. So I chose sedentary, and put that I work out 5 days a week for 40 minutes. Its telling me to eat 1310 calories. I pre cook all my foods and weigh etc. into containers so my meals for the day are already in the system. I added a kind bar to equal 1374 in calories today. I use the bodymedia fit band to input my exercise/daily burn of calories into MFP. So it is telling me after consume v. burn I'm netting today about 765 calories.