Looking for a really good stir fry recipe

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnInTexas
    AnnInTexas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I recently started dabbling with taking some foods out of my diet (soy, sodium, corn, etc).... so I've been doing a lot of stir fry dinners. I use all kinds of veggies, frozen, fresh, etc. I also alternate between shrimp and chicken. The key to doing the chicken like restaurants do it is to cut it up very thin. Otherwise, you almost need to cook the veggies, take them out and cook the chicken, then put it all back in to heat everything.

I used coconut oil as well... and I started using something called "Bragg's Aminos" instead of soy sauce (remember, no soy or sodium!) Just a little drop or two will go a LONG way. It has a little smokier flavor than regular soy sauce.

I also use brown rice with my dinner, but my hubby still likes old fashioned white.... so I usually cook them both and save the leftovers.

Yum -- now I'm hungry!
  • meganmarkworth
    Options
    bump. These all sound great!
  • kevinindelaware
    kevinindelaware Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Try Pad Thai Vegetables with Tofu... I just made it last night and was excellent.
  • Leigh012976
    Options
    Thanks guys. I usually use chicken as my meat and I have tried the frozen veggies (they aren't bad, just not real "fresh" tasting IMO). It just gets bland and my kids won't eat it. Also wondering, what type of oil should I use to cook the chicken? I normally use just olive oil with soy sauce, but I am finding I add too much soy sauce to kind of take away from that olive oil taste.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I usually use chicken as my meat and I have tried the frozen veggies (they aren't bad, just not real "fresh" tasting IMO). It just gets bland and my kids won't eat it. Also wondering, what type of oil should I use to cook the chicken? I normally use just olive oil with soy sauce, but I am finding I add too much soy sauce to kind of take away from that olive oil taste.

Use vegetable or canola oil (no olive or sesame as they dont get hot enough). Don't just use soy sauce! Heat the oil and add ginger & garlic (fresh!), then add the chicken, cook it & remove it from the pan, add the veggies and cook them & remove them from the pan, then add the sauce to the pan, once its hot & bubbly mix it with everything else and cook for a minute.

I make sauce out of a variety of things, most commonly - soy, water or broth, sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, and chili sauce. You can also try hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil & seeds, fish sauce, oyster sauce, honey, brown sugar etc - try these different combos out and see what you like.

For veggies i like broccoli, water chesnuts, bamboo shoots, baby corn, green onions (add fresh at the end), carrots, sugar snap or snow peas, colorful peppers, cabbage, bean sprouts, etc.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump-Bump!
  • Devourer1
    Devourer1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anyone use fresh and frozen veggies together? Frozen is broccoli, red peppers, and onion while I just bought some fresh zucchini.
  • tfisher0915
    tfisher0915 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump